Sign in to follow this  
spencerl964

Who saw the TREMENDOUS: M-G-M: When the Lion Roars???"H

10 posts in this topic

I see that Mongo has already written something in relation to this-(good going pal) & I had also done so a few weeks ago-(letting fellow fans of Hollywoods Golden Age/Studio-System & the grandest empire of all of them: Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, know of it's re-airing on this date!) I hope you guys & gals at least taped-it? I saw it first time around, back in mid 1990's. Strangely, TCM itself had only started in 1994 & this was made in 1992!?-(P.S. It's kinda' sad to see-it as many times as I have & knowing of how many of the celebs interviewed on it a decade ago, are now also gone as well. The likes of: Freddie Bartholomew-(1924-92)/*Helen Hayes-(1900-93)/ Maureen 0'Sullivan-(1911-98)>For those of you whom may not be aware>Mia Farrow's mom/ Lew Ayres & several others) However, this is 1 TREMENDOUS DOCU./SPECIAL-(I personally rate it as my A #1 favorite video. I actually taped it on 2 tapes, just to be safe. 6hrs of virtually everything any cinephile would ever want to know of M-G-M! (Est: 1924) Sadly, it's once 200 acres are of course now reduced to a little over 40-(Kirk Kikorian had no love of cinema & auctioned off most of it's once in a lifetime/legendary backlot in 1971??? Now there are Condos & Stripmall(s) where: Andy Hardy/ "Wizard of 0z"/ *"The King: Clark Gable"/ *Tracy & *Hepburn & Garbo made magic! There is still something to be seen in Culver City-(where it once stood) But, the majority of the lot,etc is only left on film itself. As Debbie Reynolds said, can you imagine what a superb theme park this 1 woulda' made-(she bought up as much as she could in the '71 tragedy) & whom thought host: Patrick Stewart did a fine job & narrator as well-(P.S. the "Fedora/Hat," he had on at times, is almost identical to what was *Spence's fav. of 26yrs. & I also own 1 as well!) I also loved the wonderful, yet kinda' tacky set he was on throughout the massive program. & I was curious as to which section is the fav. of all of 'em. My vote would likely go to the unbelievably sad & yet, marvelous section from 1924 to '36. That mostly covered *Irving G. Thalberg-(1899-1936) & of course his demise. SUPERB STUFF! I also hope folks caught the documentary that also re-aired prior to-it: "Inside the Dream Factory" *Faye Dunaway is host of that wonderful show. It's on quite a lot more than the other massive show though-(a note for those wanting to keep an eye out) For those interested in more. There's a companion pc. book, which is just as SUPERB! Same title-(not to be confused with "MGM Story")

It's a lot less $$$ than it was then of course. Barnes & Noble/ Borders,etc & a terrific 1976 film loosely based on *Thalberg>"The Last Tycoon" Starring *De Niro in title role is something 1 may want to also check-out. But, there's nothing like that TCM-DOCU. TO COMPARE! Thank You

I'm ashamed of myself......

I missed it! :(:(:(:(:(:(

I was gonna watch it, but it sorta...slipped by without my knowing. I've gotta pay closer attention to the schedule! I bet they probably mentioned Hedy in it. Hate to miss that! I'll commit hara-kiri.

:(

Dear antarexpurgated,

Hate to rub salt in the wound but, YES, not only did the MGM Lion Roars (Part II) documentary show Hedy -- it SHOWED Hedy, in all her natural glory. Included were clips from a 1933 European film Ecstacy which featured your girl totally NUDE. You probably will kill yourself now.

It's been a good week for uncut, uncensored nudity on TCM. The DeMille film The Sign of the Cross had that milk bath peek-a-boo scene with Claudette Colbert.

Well, I've seen Ecstasy anyway, but it still **** to've missed any mention of Hedy in this documentary. :(

If I may take this thread back on topic for just a moment...

Yes Spencer, I most certainly did watch (for the first, but not the last time) and tape all of the MGM: When The Lion Roars Documentary, which is a must have Documentary for anyone who professes a love of film and film history. Seeing all the stars and Hollywood figures that are gone now is one thing (delightful fun)...but getting familiar with the History of a Studio like MGM is so important beyond all that entertaining stuff. At least I think that it is.

As I've already mentioned to you and Mongo today, L.B. Mayer was rightfully considered by many to be a real monster...but, he also helped to organize a major studio that gave the world some of the greatest movies ever produced. I may not like the man personally if all that is said about him is true (and I don't doubt that it is), but what would things at MGM have been like without him? Can any of us know that?

The young Thalberg was the real genius at MGM...and one can also only wonder at what MGM might have been like had he lived much longer than he did.

Thank you so much, Spencer...for alerting me to get this one recorded. ;) ML

I was thinking yesterday that someone should do a biopic about Irving Thalberg. But whoever made it would get some British guy to play him and that would stink. Who do you think would be a good Thalberg?

You know, Brakenhe, I was watching the MGM Documentary again last night, and I found myself thinking the same thing about Irving Thalberg. Interstingly, I was able to see the younger face of Jack Lemmon in the face of Thalberg, say from the time that he did "Mr. Roberts". Of course, not all of Lemmon's persona would fit Thalberg, but he might have come the closest when he was nearer Thalberg's age. I honestly can't think of anyone today who could "be" Thalberg, but it's sure a good question to ponder! ;) ML

I guess I don't know that many young actors in the 20-35 age range that would do for Irving Thalberg. Jake Gyllenhall maybe. I've not seen him in anything but he seems intense and might be right for the part. Every one else that age seems "fluffy"--meaning not too serious. Maybe Elijah Woods.

Good picks on Gyllenhaal and Wood. I'd have gone with the former myself.

I managed to tape Parts I, II and III of the MGM doc when it aired, so yay for me.