Sign in to follow this  
Jimber

Ice skaters in The Bishop's Wife

13 posts in this topic

Although Grant, Young and Gleason did do some of their own ice skating in the Bishop's Wife, the dance sequence was done by skaters who were not credited. Does anyone know the names of these skaters who may have been professionals?

Jimber -

I have searched the TCMDatabase listing for *The Bishop's Wife* and found no names attached to the "stunt skaters". But I did find mention/confirmation of the use of the stunt skaters in the AFI Notes for the film.

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=68818&category=Notes

"Modern sources indicate that over Grant's protests, a skating double wearing a mask with Grant's features was used in the long shots of the complex skating routine. A skating double was also used for Young on all long shots."

The notes also make mention of some filming being done in Minneapolis which leads me to believe that the film cast members of the "Ice Capades" (which was based in Minneapolis for years) for the stunt skating.

If that is the case (though it may not), there is a "Pete Smith Specialty" short film on a pair (or group) of male stunt skaters from the Ice Capades. One of those men performed some "shaky" skating very similar to that "attributed" to James Gleason in *The Bishop's Wife*. I don't know the exact title of that short to help you track it down but I have seen it on TCM more than once. I also think one of the other males in the "Specialty" is of a physical stature similar to that of Cary Grant.

When I saw the short, the first thing that occured to me was that these guys were probably used in *The Bishop's Wife*. (And I believe the same male/female skating doubles were also put to use in the skating sequence of *The Farmer's Daughter* - but there is no credit/name for the "stunt skaters" in that listing either.)

Kyle In Hollywood

CM -

Unless you're joking, I don't buy that at all.

Besides, Dick Button would have been the one in drag.

Kyle In Hollywood

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> Yes, imdb.com says: Sonja Henie, Dick Button and Peggy Fleming...in drag. Did a good job too.

Actually, they were all scheduled to appear, but Tonya Harding had them all whacked.

> {quote:title=scsu1975 wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> > Yes, imdb.com says: Sonja Henie, Dick Button and Peggy Fleming...in drag. Did a good job too.

>

> Actually, they were all scheduled to appear, but Tonya Harding had them all whacked.

She was always up to something... :(

Eugene Turner, Fran Shore and James Clemons? There were unconfirmed reports they were in the film.I saw it in the TCM database about the movie.

"CM -

Unless you're joking, I don't buy that at all.

Besides, Dick Button would have been the one in drag.

Kyle In Hollywood"

Yessir...I was joking. As for your comment on Button

How the heck ARE you, Hollywood? I haven't heard from you in a "month" of Sundays. Hope all's well.

Now, speaking of that cute bartender... ;-)

There was a novelty skater in There Goes My Heart (1938) named Horace G. Brown who resembles James Gleason. I suspect it was he who was skating during part of this segment.  Watch a clip of it and I think you'll agree.

Reality.

My wife's Father Jim Vernon McCusker was the stunt Ice Skater in The bishops Wife.

(THE POND SCENE)

We watch it EVERY CHRISTMAS in honour of him and us since he passed away in Chico, California. 2004.

His Brother Buford (BUFF) McCusker Skated with Sonja Henie ( THE OLYMPICS FIGURE SKATING CHAMPION. )  Different Shows.

GLADYS McCusker mother of Buff&Jim was an assistant seamstress at MGM for costuming .

In Buffs history later in his life work many years in ICE - CAPADES.

JIM McCusker was a Rancher- almond Farmer in Chico, CA.

Kelly McCusker Friel , can be reached at 5092169573.

Or. 45316 250th Street East.

Lancaster , California...

• Thanks 1

Forget about the skating in that film, what you really want to see if Marlon Brando skating in The Freshman in all his avoirdupois. The final credits as I recall actually had a line about "Mr. Brando's skating coach" which was hilarious.

I very much like the spoof of this scene in 1988's PEE WEES PLAYHOUSE CHRISTMAS SPECIAL.

After the skating scene, you see PeeWee paying off someone in an identical snow suit for the performance.

Screen+Shot+2014-12-25+at+12.19.40+PM.jp

pee-wee-5.jpg