Sign in to follow this  
2008_MBACommittee

[b]Announcing The 2008 TCM Message Board Awards![/b]

99 posts in this topic

I saved my ballot, and I am preparing an acceptance speech. I am not decided yet as to whom I shall be accepting for, however. I know, I know -- I will be accepting on the behalf of the *winners* , but not sure in what character form.... Hummmmmmmmm..... ;-)

Mr6,

As you can imagine with a ballot with so many categories it takes a bit of time to check and double check.

I can say this:

The Price/Waterhouse talliers are hard at work.

You shan't be disappointed. At least I hope.

This is well after the fact, I know, but I was just curious about how these ballots were distributed. Were there qualifications that had to be met, or was it supposed to be open to anyone registered here?

Looking back through the thread, I notice that several people (mostly newly registered, but not all) had to request a ballot. I never got one either. The phrase, "If you have received a ballot", should have given me a clue that it might not have been meant for all, but I could be wrong. I frequently am.

If it was, however, supposed to be open to all registered here, it would seem to have been a very simple process to send a pm and bcc all of us.

Thanks in advance.

Belle,

Every effort was made to include all posters in this fun exercise:

From the beginning of the original post:

*Shortly, members of these Forums should receive a ballot giving you the opportunity to select your "favorite" TCM events of 2008. If a ballot doesn't automatically arrive in your PM Mailbox, a member can request a ballot be sent to them through the PM system or by posting a request in this thread. We want everyone to take part and make known what on TCM (or TCM.com) was special to them this year.*

From the ending of the original post:

*We hope everyone participates in the 2008 TCM Message Board Awards and has some fun in the process.*

As was noted, there were some quirks with the message board:

*Just a note to let everyone know that Ballots are being sent out but that the process may take longer than anticipated. There are some quirks with using the the PM Mailbox Address Book.*

We tried to send PMs with multiple addresses attached to it but the way the PM system is set up here didn't make that not possible. It would send the PMs to one poster only and not the group listed.

Because of that and because we wanted everybody to feel included, we stressed that if you did not receive a ballot, you could request one by PM or through this thread.

Every request for a ballot was honored.

We're sorry that you did not receive a ballot but no slight was intended. Everyone was welcome to participate and considering the amount of work that went into putting the ballots together and tallying up the winners, we are thankful for all who did participate.

The tallying took more time than we had originally anticipated but the winners will announced shortly.

2008 MBA Committee

Thanks for your quick and thorough response. While I understand this unintentionally turned into a logistical nightmare not intended to slight anyone, I imagine I'm not the only one who might have found it to be an unnecessarily complicated procedure.

Since the pm system didn't allow for sending the message to multiple addresses (thanks for explaining now), perhaps posting the ballot on the thread for all to see would have been a better option than sending the message to a random few. It would seem to be easier for both you and the members.

If the quirks in the system aren't worked out by next year, I'd respectfully suggest this method.

BelleLeGrand1 -

As the member who was responsible for the sending out of the MBA ballots I can tell you that two attempts were made to send you an unrequested ballot. But each time the delivery failed as "undeliverable". It was assumed that your PM mailbox was full or was "turned off". (There is a way to "turn off" the PM system as I have encountered other members who do not maintain an active PM mailbox. But I am not sure how a member sets that option.) These attempts were done during the two or three days when ballots went out to a list of regular posting members. You were on that original list.

Over 150 ballots were sent out to members of this community. The Committee had compiled a very extensive list of active members but had no illusions that we had everyone on the list. That is why members were encouraged to post a request for a ballot if they failed to receive one in that initial mailing. And that is also why balloting requests and returns were open until the first full week of January. We wished to be as inclusive as possible. As was noted below, no one was intentionally denied a ballot.

As to the results posting, it will have to suffice to say that "real life" often intrudes and rearranges one's priorities in ways one can't control. Work is being done on the MBA Ceremonies thread. We hope it will be completed very soon. Or it might become a multi-part post with results revealed in groups. But it isn't moribund. Thanks for your continued patience.

*The 2008 MBA Nominating Committee*

> {quote:title=2008_MBACommittee wrote:}{quote}

>

> As to the results posting, it will have to suffice to say that "real life" often intrudes and rearranges one's priorities in ways one can't control. Work is being done on the MBA Ceremonies thread. We hope it will be completed very soon. Or it might become a multi-part post with results revealed in groups. But it isn't moribund. Thanks for your continued patience.

>

> *The 2008 MBA Nominating Committee*

Well the suspense has me on the edge of my seat. Oh, and thanks for making me look up the word moribund! I wasn't exactly sure. ;)

Knowledge is power! :)

*...I have encountered other members who do not maintain an active PM mailbox...*

There is no option to turn off PM's. I just loaded mine up with self-sent PM's until I reached 200. :-)

Thanks for letting me know what happened, but I should tell you I think the mail system must have some serious glitches. Until yesterday, when I received a second message from a fellow member, my mailbox had only one post in it (sad, but true), so a full mailbox was not the issue. And I didn't turn it off; according to patful that wasn't even an option. And while I appreciate that I somehow was on the list, that really isn't my point.

With all these apparent snags in the system, I'd like to once again suggest that the best way to ensure everyone here can participate if they so desire would be to simply post the ballot on the thread. That would then truly be as inclusive as possible. It would also save you a lot of time and effort as well.

If by active members, you're referring to ones who post a lot, you're overlooking a whole lot of registered people who might stop by often to read without signing in.

Thanks again for responding.

*With all these apparent snags in the system, I'd like to once again suggest that the best way to ensure everyone here can participate if they so desire would be to simply post the ballot on the thread. That would then truly be as inclusive as possible. It would also save you a lot of time and effort as well.*

Belle,

As voting for these awards has been closed for over two weeks, we will certainly take your suggestions under advicement should we decide to do a year-end MBA Message Board Awards again.

At this point we haven't decided if it will be an annual event.

*The 2008 MBA Nominating Committee*

Well I guess this is not going to happen. I think that's a shame because it was a nice idea and it brought the community together in a fun activity. I can see where it might be a lot of work for one or two individuals. I would be happy to help in any way I can if this or other community projects are considered in the future.

Mighty Mo,

I suspect the dust-up over the whole ballot issue may have been the deciding factor. Despite the best intentions and mea culpas to those who did not receive ballots on the first go around (despite trying very hard to include everyone both the first time around and with subsequent ballots), the fall-out over the issue may have been enough to sour moving forward.

It's sad when things that try to bring us together as a community are used to tear us further apart.

I had thought about that but I was hoping it was not the case. I can understand the frustration though. Well, it was a good idea and a nice try anyway. I'll drop the issue.

I completely agree with your last sentence.