Sign in to follow this  
Film_Fatale

Your favorite 80s movies?

28 posts in this topic

Those are some pretty awesome movies, Renee!

Well, I guess with the tragic passing of John Hughes, a lot of us are going to be looking back at our teenage years and thinking about some of the great movies Hughes gave us in the 80s.

My favorite would have to be Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

ferris.jpg

Well, I've started sort of an informal 80s festival, so to speak, and have been watching quite a few movies that I had not seen in 20 years or more. One of the latest ones was The Last Starfighter, a B-movie from the mid-80s that (in my mind at least) barely registered when released, but I figured since they'd gone through the trouble of releasing it on blu-ray, I might as well rent it.

It's not as bad as I feared, though it is definitely nothing like the movies that Spielberg was directing and/or producing. In fact, the early drafts of the story had the protagonist living in suburbia, but then they decided that it would make the movie too much of a Spielberg clone and then decided to set the Earth-bound sections of the movie in a trailer park.

And it's not a total waste of time, either, because it has Robert Preston's last performance.