Sign in to follow this  
Guest TCMhost-Joy

World War II Films

128 posts in this topic

Guest kilroy20

This movie wasn't shown because it's by 20th Century Fox; TCM doens't play Fox movies. For the person who said Green Berets is the worst war film, I suggest you watch "Battle of the Commandos" and see if your opinion changes.

Guest kilroy20

Starting o nthe morning of September 8 and going to the morning of the 9th TCM's having a war movie marathon. Guadalcanal Diary, and Purple Heart won't be on, but there will be a lot of good ones on though.

Guest kilroy20

Who thinks they own the most war movies? Who thinks they've seen the most? I have around 60 to 65, and have seen over 300.

Guest TCMhost-Joy

While we do own the rights to show all MGM, RKO, and pre-1948 Warner Bros. films, you're incorrect in your assumption that we don't show Twentieth-Century Fox films.We lease titles from all of the major studios, such as Columbia, Paramount, and Twentieth-Century Fox. So, please request your film and we will air it for you if we can. You can do this by using the "Request a Movie" link at the top of the page.You can also ask questions or make suggestions about our programming by using the "Feedback" link, also at the top of the page.

Guest kilroy20

Sorry for assuming that, but I had read earlier in the year that TCM did not own rights to many FOX movies but did own rights to almost all MGM, RKO, Warner Bros, and Universal Pictures. I did not realize films were leased.

Guest mongo

"The Victors" from 1963 and directed by Carl Foreman is a sprawling WW2 drama that should not be overlooked. Vivid tales of the inhumanity of war with soldiers loving and fighting on the march through Europe. Contains many effective scenes especially the execution of an American deserter while the song "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" is playing. Huge cast includes George Hamilton, George Peppard, Vince Edwards, Eli Wallach (brilliant performance), Peter Fonda, Albert Finney and the babes Melina Mercouri, Romy Schneider, Jeanne Moreau, Elke Sommer and Senta Berger.Although not on video this forgotten gem can be seen on cable TV.

Guest gaynor, mitsy

Would Like to see this Classic War Film with Gregory Peck,Hugh Marlo,We enjoy watching TCM very much.

Guest mibrock

Pat. Ryan was a good film but it sounds to me that you people just want to see the BLOOD & GUTS that war is all about on the BIG SCREEN. Don't forget.. it was a World War. And propaganda was a strong tool for the US, we WON and had to maintain the patriotism for the future. I guess most of you would rather see more sex in the current war films. As for me just show me the REAL CLASSICS, I never get tired of them!!

Guest TCMhost-Joy

While I don't personally favor the "blood & guts," I am not so naive to think that an honest portrayal of war could avoid it. As for more sex in the current war films . . . I haven't seen anything posted to suggest that anyone here is in favor of that. I think we're all in agreement that we love the classics, but let's also not forget that TCM doesn't label the classics as merely "old" films. I, for one, am very glad of that. :)

Guest Labovitz, Gene

In several John Wayne war films, he is injured. It seems to be a running "gag." "In Harm's Way," "They Were Expendable", "The Longest Day," and "Operation Pacific" are war movies that come readily to mind where he is injured, usually a hand or maybe a foot and the injury really doesn't have that much to do with the plot (except in "They Were Expendable" it did cause him to lose out on a "plum" assignment.) Although, in two of them were they used to allow Patricia Neal to "nurse" him and develop the love interest. Has anyone else noticed that about John Wayne war movies?

Guest GingerRogers25

My favorite WWII movie is Waterloo Bridge with Vivian Leigh. I had no idea till he became star of the month who played the guy. I saw it at 3 am when i couldn't sleep. I'm a big Napoleon buff so I thought it was about that but it was much much better. *GingerRogers25 sighs just THINKING about Robert Taylor*

Guest kilroy20

Just to let all of you know, on November 10th at 4:00 AM, TCM will be showing a superd war movie -- "Beach Red". The last time I saw it on TCM was about a year ago although it was on in March (TBS) and April (TCM again). I am hoping that it will be in letterbox and uncut. TCMHost-Claire can you give me any info if it will be edited like the inferior TBS version? "Kilroy Was Here"

Guest kilroy20

Can any of you help me here . . . I am wondering if anyone has ever seen any of these war films on TCM: Battle Force (1977) aka "The Greatest Battle" and several other titlesThe Battle of Neretva (1969) Battle of the Commandos (1969) aka Legion of the *Expletive*Cross of Iron (1977) The Eagle has Landed (1977) Fireball Forward (1972) Five for Hell (1969)Battle of El Alamein (1968 I believe)Last Day of the War (1969)Raid on Rommel (1971) Tobruk (1966) Any information on these films would greatly appreciated! Kilroy Was Here

Guest kilroy

Excuse me, TCHost-Claire, will the movie BEACH RED be played in letterbox when it is airing in November. Also, will it be at all edited?

Guest Cressy, Ben

Does TCm ever air BATTLE OF THE BULGE? (not the 156 minute version, the original 167 minute version). Can a staffmember also answer my other questions about BEACH RED?

Guest (GingerRogers25), Josie Azzam

My Favorite, though it doesn't have much to do with the war, was "Waterloo Bridge". I am a big Napoleon fan, so I thought it was about Nappy (which is a rare thing on TV). It was about 3 in the morning, and I remeber watching Vivian Leigh with the dashing young officer waltzing to "Auld Lang Sang." and I was just transfixed.

Guest Maniac!", Jeffrey L.Shannon-"Golden Age

I believe i participated in this poll already? But if it's just limited to: WW11 Films-Because: "Apocalypse Now" (l979 cut: is greatest all-around war-film I've ever seen!) *-Denotes OSCAR But WW2 Top 5: (NOTE: *"SCHINDLER'S LIST," I don't really rank as a war-film, more of a drama/0terwise it would be "THE SUMMIT!" lst-"Saving Private Ryan" (l998)(NOTE: Must Rank as one of A.M.P.A.S./Hollywoods Biggest "Screw-ups!"-(Top 3) Giving: "SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE" BEST FILM OVER THIS? As, GEORGE STEVENS said, we will know how great a film is in: (20yrs.)& I doubt they will be talking about the winner that year!!!) 2nd-*"FROM HERE TO ETERNITY" (l953) 3rd-"The Great Escape" (l963)-(Magnificent E. BERNSTEIN Score!-Ridiculously ACADEMY went w/"TOM JONES," that yr. & can you believe: "Escapes'" only nod. FILM EDITING?) 4th-*"THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI" (l957) 5th-"The Longest Day" (l962) Runner-Up: "Battleground" (l949) & "l2 0'Clock High" (l949 too) I noticed on "TCM," Dale Dye, who was in the exceptional TV-Mini-Series: "Band of Brothers" Also: *"PLATOON" ('86) & "Casualties of War" in '89-Hard film to watch, but powerful-(*** 1/2) S. Penn was excellent as a "PIG!" Anyway, he said the:(4) Actors who really had military look-down pat, because, ironically they all really had military backgrounds! Were: *LEE MARVIN-(l924-87)/*GEORCE C. SCOTT-(l927-99)/*GENE HACKMAN-(l930-) & MY BOYHOOD HERO/IDOL: Steve McQueen-(l930-80) Made me feel pretty cool, him having: McQueen in the bunch, but he spent most of his time in: "Brig!"-(Just like characters whom he portrayed usually- Another ridic. thing OSCAR has done, was ignore him as an actor? 1 BEST ACTOR NOM. "The Sand Pebbles" (l966)-Ironically another war-film! But, he was out-right "ROBBED," for: OSCAR GOLD: l973's "Papillon"-Was not even in running? McQueen, was not: *"The Great: SPENCER TRACY or *ANTHONY HOPKINS as an actor. & Could be limited, see: "Enemy of the People"-(**)Way miscast? But, kinda' similar to: H. Ford today, they took him for granted as an actor-(Like: *SPIELBERG & *HANKS, I'm a bit of a "real/reel" WW2 BUFF!) I KEEP SUGGESTING YOU GUYS HAVE AN OVRALL VICTOR/VOTES EACH POLL??? "GOLDEN AGE MANIAC!"

Guest Chuck

A Good War movie is Attack with Jack Palace

Guest Romero, Juan

PATTON.When some one mention war movies............ Everything in this film is Right Eagles have landed. Back home i was a 5th Grade skip school went to see it LOVE IT........... Force 10 Navarone.....and the underrated A Brigde Too Far Same thing skip a day's school went to see it. No Regrets.. Longest Day ........Awesome... Cross of Iron a Must see Film The Thin Red Line ...many of you guys fail to mention this Jewel 1998 film....Dogs of War ........... and finally the 197some WILD GOOSES ..... Off the Hook

Guest Maniac!", Jeffrey L.Shannon-"Golden Age

I wanted to add an Honorable mention for a: WW1-(At that time, until '4l-The Great War!) for: "Paths of Glory"-There have not been many on that war *"ALL QUIET ON WESTERN FRONT" & "Big Parade" of course! "Wings," 1st BEST PICTURE ACADEMY AWARD WINNER is a bit dated now-(** 1/2) Howard Hughes l930 "Hell's Angels" a lot better, in my view anyway-(***1/2) AMAZING AIR FOOTAGE! Espec. compared to his absurd: l940's Western: "The 0utlaw?" But in '57 I rank "Paths," over: *"BRIDGE ON RIVER KWAI" slightly! & it didn't rec. 1 nomination???

Guest Hatchetman1945

I remember "Attack." Doesn't Planace take on a German tank in the movie. It's been years since I've seen it.

Guest Sharon

There are two war films that I love. The best years of our lives and The Young Lions. The Best Years of our lives shows how to cope with civilized life and try to leave behind the war. Such a brillant movie. The Young Lions on the other hand trying to be the best and always an osbstacle to overcome but in the end is they have overcome the obstacle. Another brillant movie.

Guest Mitcehll, Steve

I consider Terence Malick's The Thin Red Line the best recent WW 2 movie.Elem Klimov's 1985 Come And See is another visually striking remembrance of WW 2. Andre Tarkovski's 1961 debut film My Name Is Ivan is a great black and white view of WW 2. John Ford's They Were Expendable and Howard Hawk's Air Force get my votes as the two greatest Hollywood war films of the 40's.

Guest walker, ken

I'm a Marine Corp veteran of the Korean confict.Because of this ,perhaps I have a tendency to be a bit harsh with war films.The film "THIN RED LINE"[Terrence Malick] is a visual treat,and was on the mark showing the tedium,but often deadly encounters of battle.Definately,a film to leave an impression.Three films are my all time favorites..[1]"ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT[original],[2]"BREAKER MORANT",and [3]"SAVING PRIVATE RYAN".[Most realism].I,m a big fan of John Wayne,but "THE GREEN BERETS",is one film on my least favorite list.That list is too long to include here! Comments welcomed!........KW

Guest ChuckH

Anyone aware of a film called "The Fighting Lady"? If so, is it a documentary or movie? Saw a couple of references to it in a book by Greg "Pappy" Boyington of "Baa Baa Black Sheep" fame in WWII.