Sign in to follow this  
Guest TCMhost-Joy

World War II Films

128 posts in this topic

Guest walker, ken

ChuckH, Could the film be "Men of the Fighting Lady"[1954]?This was about men on an aircraft carrier during the Korean War...kw

Guest ChuckH

Have a feeling that's not the one, as the brief references to the film made in the book were concerning incidents during WWII.

Guest Stewart, Olivia

I do not think this is very old, but, I saw a movie a few years ago with Harrison Ford. He was an American soldier and had an affair with a British woman who was married. Her husband and Ford ended up working with each other during the war. What is the name of this movie please? Thanks...

Guest greaney, greg

Hanover Street...........also with Christopher Plummer...rather ridiculous plot twist but enjoyable....

Guest Benavid, Ralph

My favorite motion picture from WW2 is "They were expendable". This beautiful and timeless film is set in the opening days of World War 2. Based on the actual exploits of Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron Three, this jewel of a film illuminates the daily lives of forgotten men whose sacrifices became the foundation of our eventual victory over Imperial Japan. It tells a story shared by many thousands of ordinary American and Filipino men and women who stood fast, with no hope of victory, to oppose an overwhelming force. It is a story about duty and honor . . . to country, to friends and to self. Considered "expendable" military assets by their countrymen, theirs is a story that is eternal.

Guest walker, ken

Ralph, The movie you mentioned is one of my favorites also,but for true realism,you can't beat "The Story of G.I.Joe",showned recently on TCM. In a subdued way it managed to show the futility ,boredom and horror of any war.This movie showed the combat infantryman in the best possible way...the best d*** soldier in the world!Let's remember them all tomorrow!

Guest mjp

After having discussed films that you love, would anyone be interested in sharing a story about a movie they have seen that impacted their life in some way? This movie made such a personal impact, it forced you to look into and reevaluated your present situation thus, taking the steps you needed to make a change. Please, feel free to share your story, I am extremely interested in hearing it. Thanks!!

Guest Ben

HELP! I am looking for a Yugoslav / Italian movie. Maybe you can help: BITKA NA NERETVI (Yugoslavia, 175 mins) LA BATTAGLIA DELLA NERETVA (Italy, 134 mins) THE BATTLE OF NERETVA (USA, 106 mins) BATTLE ON THE RIVER NERETVA (Australia, 127 mins) DIE SCHLACT AN DER NERETVA (Germany, 145 mins) LA bATAILLE DE LA NERETVA (Francem 125 mins) If any of you have this movie, or know where to find it, please e-mail me at kilroy138@aol.com Maybe I can work out a deal for purchase but I cannot guarantee anything.

Guest cam, daryl

For me the two best war movies are Battleground & The Story of GI JOE. Nice coincidence that they're both by my favorite director William Wellman. The Story of GI JOE stands by itself. No other war movie has ever put me right there. Subtle, poetic, powerful. God bless those brave men. I also like The Longest Day & All Quiet on the Western Front(I think more than anything I just like saying it). Look to hear from you.

Guest mstourin

"I watched "The Battle of Britain" last night - and I'm curious, were the German sequences supposed to have sub-titles? It was very realistic to have them talk in German, but a bit hard to follow if you don't speak German." I own the VHS of this film, released by MGM/UA Home Video (panned and scanned). The German sequences (all of them) are indeed sub-titled. I've never seen (at least a VHS) letterboxed version of this film so when TCM aired it, naturally I recorded the film and discovered that the German sequences were silent. I emailed TCM and got a reply to the effect that the German sequences had never been subtitled (purposely, for dramatic impact). I replied, telling them they were wrong, citing not only the video I owned, but also providing the manufacturer's code appearing on the sleeve. TCM never replied (and my emails did include a valid address).

Guest Pruitt, C. L.

I don't necessarily say it's the best, however Schindler's List is critically important because of everything you have stated and one more thing -- it showed the transformation of a German, who was neither for or against the Nazis or the Jews -- a middle of the road man who simply saw a way to make money. Schinder is given credit for things he really didn't do knowingly -- thank goodness! Had he realized earlier in the story what his "clerk" had actually done he might not have made the choices he did. I was thrilled and fascinated at the artful way his transformation took place and was portrayed. I especially appreciated it because I believe there were hundreds or even thousands of Germans who would have done similar had they been given the means and opportunity and became aware of the horrendous horror of the Nazis. I just recently watched another movie that depicts just how the Nazis treated their own (on-Jew)people -- if you have the chance watch "The Seventh Cross" with Spender Tracy -- I think you might find it to be one to add to your list of favorites.

Guest Pruitt, C. L.

What kind of lifeline are you looking for? Most of the really "good" war movies were made while WWII was still going on or within a few years after it ended. I'm sorry you find the " have too much political flag propaganda and patriotic beating of the chest" -- but that was critical at the time. I'm not sure which ones you have seen but the horrors of war have never been hidden in the good ones. Perhaps you might enjoy watching some of the ones which are fairly accurate histocially such as Tora! Tora! Tora! or you might find some pre-WWII ones interesting such as "The Seventh Cross". Keep in mind that Hollywood rarely ever gets everything right but they give some good attempts at showing how things went, so while not perfect, check out "The Longest Day" and "Sands of Iwo Jima" and the "Fighting Seabeas". I can't stress strong enough that while not perhaps factual most WWII movies were designed to show two things: first just how bad the fighting was and the ability of the country's military to do what needed to be done against odds at times that were daunting.

Guest Bonaldi, Lee

Couldn't agree more! Two of my favorites.

Guest Laumond, Gary

The best World War 2 movie was MAN HUNT. Walter Pideon thinks of taking a pot shot at Adolf Hitler is captured by the gytsapo and is pure action from start to finish. Made in 1941 by Fritz Lang this classic is for some reason not available on DVD or Video and I have not seen it on T.V. in about twenty years. Trust me if your a classic movie buff it is a can't miss.

Guest Hitch

I was impressed with 'Paths of Glory' and 'Fail-Safe'. I saw them for the first time last year. Stanley Kubrick directed Paths, there's something about Kubrick that facinates me. His war films are all really unique. Seven Days in May rocks also.

Guest Hitch

Waffled, I saw Stalengrad three years ago. I can't wait to see it again. Good choice!

These may have been mentioned before...but my favorite WWII movies are THE STORY OF GI JOE, THE VICTORS,& PATHS OF GLORY (I know that one was mentioned). I saw THE STORY OF GI JOE several months ago on TCM and it blew me away. In fact there were things in it (1945) that make me wonder if SAVING PRIVATE RYAN didn't borrow some. Also THE VICTORS just rips my heart out and makes you see the futility and tremendous COURAGE. They are both excellent!

(*-ACADEMY AWARD) To Joy, of whom I guess started this superb topic! Limiting it to just the big one WW11 I would have to leave out several, as others have of course, "Apocalypse Now," etc. & there have been relatively few, on WW1 or the Civil War in comparison, to even Vietnam films-(which became the thing, after: *"PLATOON," swept the '86 OSCARS) So I'd limit my candidates to just as noted WW2:

1. "Saving Private Ryan" (1998)-(NOTE: Also the 2nd greatest war-epic I've ever seen, of all war-films!)

2. *"FROM HERE TO ETERNITY" (1953)

3. "The Great Escape" (1963) (Almost more of an adventure?/Incredibly based on a true-story! & 0ne of the all-time great music scores by *ELMER BERNSTEIN! It's only nomination FILM EDITING???))

4. "Battleground" (1949) (One of the all-time great endings & amazingly shot mostly on M-G-M sound stages!)

5. "The Longest Day" (1962)

6. *"BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI (1957)

7. *"PATTON" (1970) (Or a Bio!?)

8. "They Were Expendable" (1945) (Very somber)

9. "12 0'Clock High" (1949)-(NOTE: Went up against (2) other WW2 pix in that years OSCARS, "Battleground" & "Sands of Iwo Jima." All (3) lost the big one though, to: *"ALL THE KING'S MEN?")

10th. "The Story of G.I. Joe" (1945)-(NOTE: TCM only, pretty much recently; about a yr. just now had the rights to air this. & the always underrated: Robert Mitchum; won his sole OSCAR nomination of his entire/massively long career? For BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR/Burgess Meredith gives probably his greatest performance, as war-correspondent: Ernie Pyle. Whom was killed in action before wars end!)

(NOTE: "The Train" '65, almost made the cut! & "Das Boot"

I don't consider the magnificent: *"BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES," an actual war-film though! Some do. As well as: *"MRS. MINIVER") Thank You

did anybody see Ginger Rogers in the l943 "Tender Comrade" that TCM showed earlier this week? A very strange movie. At the end, when she gets the telegram that her husband is dead, she picks up their newborn son and makes a long, long speech about America. The camera stays on her face the whole time. Five years later, "Tender Comrade" was cited by the McCarthy UnAmerican Hearings in Washington as proof that Dalton Trumbo, one of the writers, was a leading Hollywood communist. Why? Because he used the word "Comrade" in the movie title. Yet, the movie itself, is unusually pro-American and gung-ho patriotic. This is a scary fact. That back then, the very word "comrade" could be used to destroy movie careers which happened to Trumbo and several others associated with this movie.

Senator Joseph McCarthy was not involved in the House Committee hearings against the film industry. Joseph McCarthy was a SENATOR. The House Committee on Un-American Activities conducted the investigations in the film industry.

You're right, nedlato, and I stand corrected. Speaking of Joe McCarthy, Ann Coulter throws a new light on him in her new nonfiction book, "Treason," which has made me rethink my position on the "communist scare" of the late 40s and early 50s. It wasn't as black and white as we were taught in school and McCarthy may have well been a real American hero.

People on the left seem to forget that Joe was a close family friend of the Kennedy's. He dated one of the Kennedy daughters and Bobby was an attorney on his committee.

Remember until the late 80's there was an aggitation on the left claiming that Ethel and Julius Rosenberg, the "Atomic Spies" who gave the secret of the A bomb to the USSR and were executed for treason, were yet more victims of Macarthyism? Well, after the fall of the Soviet Union when the KGB files were opened, it turns out that poor, railroaded Ethel And Julius DID give the Russians the A-bomb! This story did not get much play in the media compared the the hue and cry that would have been raised had the files proved they were innocent! The files also proved that many of those on the HUAC hit list(and others who were not) WERE traitors. While Macarthy may have been an extremist & opportunist, there WERE American commies working to advance international communism. How come the left never points out, in theire indictments of the "Red Scare" that there was indeed something to fear?