Sign in to follow this  
Guest TCMhost-Joy

World War II Films

128 posts in this topic

There's no question that the U.S.S.R. got ahead on its nuclear program (by a whole decade!) from spying.

I do not have much sympathy for the Hollywood crowd who were sitting around their poolsides drinking banana daquiries toasting Josef Stalin while Americans were being killed in Korea! What really pi**es me off is that these left-wing idiots are made out to be martyrs now!

Supporting the U.S.S.R. during WWII is one thing. After that there is no excuse!

All the movies and books about the "Hollywood Ten" were written and produced by liberal leftists who made it appear that these poor creatures were butchered and destroyed. While they may have lost their posh, cushy jobs in the film colony, the majority of these communists did not suffer and those who went over to Europe have since admitted what a great time they had. Ann Coulter's book, TREASON,makes a brilliant and acidic observation regarding Sean Penn. In a $60,000 ad he placed in the NYTimes, he mentions the tragedy of his father, a screenwriter, during the HUAC hearings, and how Mr. Penn lost his job. Coulter points out that the only hardship he endured was having to fire the family's cook.

The danger was real. Think about it, the leftist nuts here were responsible for accelerating arms escalations and the early Cold War. It was, as Coulter astutely points out, treasonous.

oh, my dear Nedlato, I thought you'd never ask! I can't do it right away--I'm going with a Noo Yawk Citee kind of a guy named Scarface. A real knock-around kind of guy, ya know? The possessive type. But let's remember what Bette Davis said to Paul Henreid in some l942 movie: "Oh, let's don't ask for the moon--we have the stars!"

Geeze Ned ...getting technical on me! I know Al was from NY But he didn't become well-known until he hit Chi-town which is where he built his nefarious empire.

I'm sorry, but I am from Chicago and we would like to blame someone else for Al Capone! Why not blame Brooklyn? They don't even have a baseball team! If he'd stayed in Baltimore a bit longer it'd be their fault too! To keep this on topic(somewhat)O'Hare airport is named for a U.S. air ace from Chicago. His old man was a politician or judge in the Capone era.

Eeeek! My current boyfriend admits he ain't the real Scarface which I kind of figured out. I'll try to forgive him since it was such a shocker. I just wish 'Tail Gunner' Joe (McCarthy) was around to help me keep things straight. Anybody have any thoughts about the much maligned and highly demonized Joe McCarthy? I would simply loved to have worked for this guy back in the late 40s and 50s. This guy is a real American hero!

I am a drinking man(Navy vet.) and I bet good ol' Joe could drink me under the table. He was a flawed man, but he was on the right side!

Well MaCarthy was OBSCENELY parodied in "The Manchurian Candidate", although the film's premise does admit that the commies were infiltrating the US govt.

Just remembered this bit. The Senator is addressing congress (In Manchurian Candidate) and says "I have here in my pocket the names of... (sees bottle of Heinz Ketchup)...FIFTY SEVEN card-carrying communists in the U.S. government."

I wish and wish that either cable or movies would do a fair and honest bio on that handsome, fighting Irishman known as Joe McCarthy. I've known Irish guys like him--charming and handsome as hell, and I used to go with one but neither he nor his handsome brothers or any other Irishman I've met can hold their drink. But, getting back to Joe, I understand the fans and family of communist spy Alger Hiss are financing a valentine movie about their beloved. Of course, Whittaker Chambers and Tail Gunner Joe will be the big, fat mean guys and Hiss will once more be the martyred victim of "McCarthyrism." I saw a color picture of Joe taken back in those heady days of the late 40s and he was Hollywood handsome! His wife was a real beauty, too! We need another fighting Irishman in politics these days! Where'd they all go?

I have absolutely no sympathy for Dalton Trumbo, John Howard Lawson, Ring Lardner Jr., Abraham Polonsky, Paul Jarrico or Herbert Biberman's plight. What I hate most of all about World War II is the U.S.-Soviet alliance with Russia. That was a grave mistake, and it only happened because Roosevelt loved Joe Stalin. Our military was betrayed by FDR, and we became "merry ole comrades", and as a result, the Hollywood 10 pushed for Roosevelt's 1944 re-election to keep this dangerous alliance forever, which was impossible to have happened. The two-term law should have been introduced far earlier, and if we had a Republican president in office during World War II, we never would have allowed this Soviet alliance. And of course, the Hollywood 10 made all these propaganda films celebrating the Russians, like Mission to Moscow, Song of Russia, North Star, Action in the North Atlantic (they should have been heading towards Sweden), or any other propaganda films like that.

If there are more than ladies in Hollywood I hate most of all they have to be Lillian Hellman, Jane Fonda and Vanessa Redgrave. Hellman admired Joe Stalin's regime even as he was murdering millions of people. When Hitler invaded Russia in 1941, she through a big hissy fit and cried her eyes out screaming "THE MOTHERLAND HAS BEEN INVADED!" When she called to testify before the HUAC, she complaied about how she could not cut her conscience to this year's fashion. Geez. That lady was one idiot, as were the two ladies involved in the idiotic 1977 film JULIA. Hellman was played by Hanoi Jane Fonda, who once praised Communism at a Michigan State University rally, did that infamous photograph with the anti-aircraft gun in North Vietnam and gave incendiary anti-American speeches, and, most recently, narrated the pro-immorality documentary Complicated Women. And of course, Vanessa Redgrave, who like Michael Moore this year, through a big Oscar outburst that was viciously anti-Semitic (I'm not Jewish). She called the Jews "zionist hoodlums" and praised Yassir Arafat's terrorist PLO organization. Just like Michael Moore, she was promptly booed off the stage by the audience, which, of course, had many Jews.

I have no sympathy for these people or any of their work. No wonder Ginger Rogers felt that Dalton Trumbo was trying to force her to say Communist propaganda.

I wouldn't say that the U.S.-Soviet alliance was out of any kind of love. It was needed to spread out and thin Germany's forces over many fronts. Certainly, Stalin was every bit as evil, actually more so, than Hitler, but the alliance was necessary. Berlin undoubtedly fell more quickly because of it.

If we hadn't restrained ourselves from invading Germany(out of mistaken concern of Hitlers' Bavarian Redoubt), we(the Western Allies)could have captured Berlin-eastern Germany, Prague, and Vienna before the damn communists! FDR almost gleefully handed Eastern Europe over to Stalin. Then Eisenhower shamefully and digustingly removed from command, the only man who could intimidate the Soviets: General George Smith Patton Jr. It's a good thing Truman was V.P. instead of Wallace!

Battle of the Bulge: "The Americans are learning how to retreat." (hum the Panzer song)

The Train: "Unload the trucksh!!!

The Guns of Navarone: "Your in it now, up-to-your neck. They say your a genius with explosives, start proving it! You got me in the mood to use this thing..!"

The Dirty Dozen: "You heard em. It was all 'we ain't gonna do this and we ain't gonna do that... I really love that Franko."