Sign in to follow this  
Guest TCMhost-Joy

World War II Films

128 posts in this topic

Unless it was mentioned way back I haven't seen a mention of "Bridge On The River Kwai". Other fine films I think include "12 O'Clock High","A Walk In The Sun" with Dana Andrews, "Home Of The Brave". Also, the "Guns of Navarone" Even though it's a Korean War film I've always thought "Pork Chop HIll" was a tough movie. If you look you see quite a few stars at the early stages of their careers.

Hmm.. since the fact most WWII movies are about the soldiers, I'd have to say my favourite is "Forbidden Games" because it's how the children react to the war.

I Like John Ford's "They Were Expendable". I think Robert Montgomery and Donna Reed were especially good in this great film. A. Gillespie's special effects were really well done for 1945. Howard Hawk's "Air Force" is , to me, an Air Classic. I have read where Hawks wanted the actual B-17 to be the "Star" of the movie and in the opening credits the "Mary-Ann" does in fact receive top-billing. I have been very curious about this particular B-17 for years. One night when Robert Osborne was introducing the movie he mentioned that after filming, this aircraft was returned to active duty and was lost in action over the Pacific. I am just curious as to where TCM obtained this information. I also like "The Best Years of Our Lives". It is, to me, as close to the "perfect movie" as you can get. The English made "In Which We Serve", with Noel Coward, is another fine WW2 film.

I do find some of the films made just prior to America's entry into the war as interesting to watch. Films like "Flight Command" with Robert Taylor, and "Dive Bomber" with Errol Flynn, you get a glimpse of how America was trying to prepare itself. Especially "Dive Bomber" because it was made in beautiful technicolor."The Mortal Storm", with James Stewart, Margaret Sullavan, and Frank Morgan is also very good.

I wish TCM would lease Paramount's 1941 "I Wanted Wing's". It shows the Army Air Corps' training of pilots. It has a good cast...Ray Milland, Brian Donlevy, William Holden, Wayne Morris and Veronica Lake in her famous peek-a-boo hair-style. It has airplanes all over the place. It won the Academy Award for 1941 for Special Effects ( I am 99% sure of that, If I am wrong I apologize) and shows a practise air raid over Los Angeles. This pre-war film is just plain fun to watch.

Whatch for this film on Showtime Extreme

The Eagle Has Landed (1976) A Nazi colonel drops a colonel, a task force and an Irishman into England to kidnap Winston Churchill. Adult Situations. Cast: Michael Caine, Donald Sutherland, Robert Duvall, Jenny Agutter, Donald Pleasence, Anthony Quayle, Jean Marsh, Sven-Bertil Taube, John Standing, Judy Geeson, Treat Williams, Larry Hagman, Siegfried Rauch, John Barrett, Maurice Roeves, Leigh Dilley.

Director: John Sturges.

Producers: Jack Winer, David Niven Jr.

Distribution:Columbia

it's far from being one of the best on WWII, but I quite like Robert Aldrich's TOO LATE THE HERO (1970) starring Michael Caine and Cliff Robertson. The last scene with the 2 guys running from machine gun fire is great.

I have just come across this forum and have scanned this thread. I did not see one of muy favorites mentioned - "Cross of Iron."

I like the Great Escape. And it was pretty cool to turn on the TV and flip to TCM and find it playing. So what great WW II does anyone recommend? Cross of Iron I can't remember very well, but I remember thinking at first I liked it. I'll see if I can find it and see it again

WWII ended 60+ years ago,so showing a film,with an anti-war theme will NOT turn the U.S. into a German or Japanese speaking country.Memorial Day is NOT confined to honoring the Vets of the 2cd World War.While this tread might be limited to the last World War,regular readers of TCM message boards know they sometimes stray a bit.

I really think The Bridge on the River Kwai and The Bridges of Toko Ri are excellent films. I appreciate The Bridges of Toko Ri because it was about the Korean War and there aren't too many films that portray how difficult a conflict that was. It always seems to be the "forgotten war." Mickey Rooney gave a fine performance in this film, as did William Holden.

The Bridge on the River Kwai was just excellently filmed and acted. Who can ever forget the performance of Alec Guinness? However, some of the best lines go to William Holden and he makes the most of a complex role--a mixture of cynicism and heroism-- in a character that ranks with his best anti-hero roles in films of the '50s. He brings as much conviction to his role as Alec Guinness does and deserved a Best Actor nomination that he did not get.

There are so many fine war films -- WWII and others, that it's difficult to choose.

But all of these great films (regardless of the war they portray) are a constant reminder of the bravery and heroism of our American soldiers who we honor today -- Memorial Day, 2006.

> Why not some anti-war film on Memorial Day?

Why not some old Jim Crow era film with white guys in blackface on MLK Day? (cough, cough)

Did anyone see Battle Of Britain on TCM? It has subtil differences to the video version I have. There are more subtitles for the German scenes, and different music in spots. Also, the end credits are different. Was there a different cut for different countries' distribution?

You know what guys.....All War movies are anti-war movies...............

The WW2 movies were made to help support our troops (Bonds etc.)

Build Moral and Hope on the Home Front,

They all have the same message that we want it to be the................

WAR TO END ALL WARS

We celebrate not the WAR,

but the END OF THE WAR.....

We celebrate FREEDOM, DEMOCRACY

We don't want to lose any more young men

Back to the Movies:

I like the War Movies that had mystery and drama, not necessarily with a lot of fighting,

do some of you remember seeing:

This land is Mine--.....1943----------Charles Laughton, Maureen O'hara. Great actors in a simple story, tear jerker

Manila Calling............1942..........Lloyd Nolan, always did a good job, with his humor

Wing and a Prayer......1944.........Don Ameche, Dana Andrews,

Purple heart................1944.........Dana Andrews, tearjerker.

Above and Beyond.......1952.........Robert Taylor, and the ENOLA GAY

Underground................1941........Jeffrey Lynn, I haven't seen this one on TV in a long time

I'd like to know why TCM hasn't shown a great WWII film, "Dunkirk" in a long time?

It wasn't even shown during the last Ealing Film Studio tribute.

What gives, TCM?

I am watching

China Sky (1945) on TMC right now

Good cast:

Randolph Scott

Ruth Warwick

Anthony Quinn

Richard Loo

Ducky Louie

Watched "Very Thought of You" today. Not so much a "war movie" but a movie about a time of war. Both Dennis Morgan and Elenor Parker were excellent, along with an outstanding support cast. Really like the title song, "The Very Thought of You." Enjoyed an afternoon of viewing!