Sign in to follow this  
Guest TCMhost-Joy

World War II Films

128 posts in this topic

yes but if we didn't have those young men fighting we couldn't sing "O the land of the free and the home of the brave."

> yes but if we didn't have those young men fighting we

> couldn't sing "O the land of the free and the home of

> the brave."

O'ER the land..... "O (or Oh), say, does that star-spangled banner still wave O'ER the land of the free and the home of the brave?"

And, remember - FS Key was writing in the middle of a battle, at night, and with smoke to add to the murk, so he was truly wondering if the flag was still flying over the attacked fort, or had it been destroyed. It is not a short poem, going on to describe his thrill at finding that it did, indeed, survive the battle, etc., etc. In a complete version of the anthem (to be sung), there are four verses. I cannot recall ever actually hearing more than three sung, but there are four in some hymnals.

It never (but maybe should have) occurred to me that people might be singing a celebration - "O, the land of the free and the home of the brave!" Not terribly inappropriate, come to think of it, but it's not the anthem.

Sorry if my cage was needlessly rattled, but I guess I taught government and history a little too long. And, yes, I can sing the second verse (at least) from memory!