Sign in to follow this  
Guest steiner, richard

What film has the best metaphor for sex?

28 posts in this topic

Guest steiner, richard

Ok, weve all scene some weird scenes in films which are clear metaphors for you-know-what. But which are interesting? Im sure everyone thinks of the last scene in North By Northwest but Id also recommend the great scene where John Dall meets Peggy Cummins for the first time at the circus in Joseph H. Lewis Gun Crazy...

Guest britt, matt

In the film "LA Confidential" there is a sequence depicting the strength and muscle of the LAD. Some shots of officer Bud White punching a tied down, would be crime boss of LA, the Police Chief telling the man to "go back home." This all depicts how good things are going for the LAD. The town is being "cleaned up." And as the sequence comes to an end the Sun sets on a distinctively falic shot of the LAD headquarters, thus depicting the testosterone and territorial motivated victory.

Guest Hern, A.L.

Capt. Louis Renault to Rick Blaine in CASABLANCA: "Tomorrow night I'll be in here with a breathtaking blonde -- and it'll make me very happy if she loses. Umm-hmm..." What better metaphor for sex is there than THIS?

Guest Alix

Here's a pre-Code example from BEAUTY & THE BOSS. In this particular scene, a beautiful blonde in a skimpy halter jumpsuit leans down close to where Warren William's character sits in a big, comfy, easy chair. She purrs to him, "Can't you see...I'm just hanging over your head like a ripe peach...if you'd only give the tree a little shake!" You think William didn't know what she was talking about??? (Strangely, MGM's leading seducer turned her down in favor of the virginal sweetness of Marian Marsh).

Well there's the dinner scene in Tom Jones and there's probably half a dozen better one from Lubitsch movies.

Since NbNW has already been mentioned (do I get to mention To Catch a Thief, instead?):

I'd just finished slogging through Ryan's Daughter (1970) and thought "How many nature images can David Lean CUT AWAY to?", while Sarah Miles gets hot and heavy with Christopher Jones  (when we get "symbolic" images of their respective horses standing out alone on the Wuthering-esque Irish moors, I triple-dog-dare you not to make "Stud" jokes...)

As for Best Metaphor, however, Monty Python has that covered:

• Haha 1

That moment in the film noir Phantom Lady when Elisha Cook Jr. is playing the drums while Ella Raines watches. 

• Like 3

The train going through the tunnel at the end of North By Northwest.  

Wow.  This thread was originally created when I was a senior in high school! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

The train going through the tunnel at the end of North By Northwest.  

And of course back then you didn't have a clue what it was about.   ;)

• Haha 1

Not exactly a metaphor, but a scene takes place. Mildred Pierce and a man (from whom she buys the building, can't remember) flirting in a rather physical way near the fire place. The phonograph record across the room comes to an end with the needle left unattended, back and forth, etc. Time passing is shown with a cinematic device I can't remember but after which the camera zooms slowly onto the still unattended phonograph record.

39 minutes ago, laffite said:

Not exactly a metaphor, but a scene takes place. Mildred Pierce and a man (from whom she buys the building, can't remember) flirting in a rather physical way near the fire place. The phonograph record across the room comes to an end with the needle left unattended, back and forth, etc. Time passing is shown with a cinematic device I can't remember but after which the camera zooms slowly onto the still unattended phonograph record.

I would agree.  In that part of the book, Mildred and Monte do have sex at his beach house.  In the movie, she only spends the afternoon there.  In the book, Mildred spends the weekend with Monte at the beach house.  It's the same weekend when Veda and Kay (or Ray in the book) go to Lake Arrowhead--right before Kay/Ray comes down with pneumonia. 

Skimpole, you resurrected a thread no one had posted on in 16 years? These are threads I can actually access? Like if I click on the very last page of General Discussions, they are there? This time-warping, which has mostly been done by Allenex the last few months, is freaking me out a little bit. Don't we have enough new stuff to talk about on here?

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

Heard the term "Getting frisky" but can't recall the film.

I remember it was often used in a tv program, can't quite come up with it. An older couple, and it was the wife who always came up with it, usually jokingly. Was it Happy Days?

edit: yes, it was Marion Ross to Tom Bosley, I'm sure of it.

7 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Skimpole, you resurrected a thread no one had posted on in 16 years? These are threads I can actually access? Like if I click on the very last page of General Discussions, they are there? This time-warping, which has mostly been done by Allenex the last few months, is freaking me out a little bit. Don't we have enough new stuff to talk about on here?

Oh come on, Sewhite, it's fun to do this from time to time. ;) There was a rule of couple of upgrades ago where it was forbidden to post on any thread more than a year old. They don't enforce that anymore.

• Like 1

Okay, sorry I if I'm a stick in the mud. Apparently 15 years ago they used to let guest post on here as well, but I assume that's no longer allowed.

The broken bed in The Quiet Man, which prompts Barry Fitzgerald to exclaim, "Impetuous!"

• Haha 3

OK;

My memory is fuzzy on this one.  Might not even be the correct movie.  But;

In( I think) THE FUGITIVE KIND, there's a scene where under Brando's embrace, the camera moves down ANNA MAGNANI'S arm to her hand, where she squeezes an orange half tightly and then releases it and it drops to the floor, as an indication( I always took it) of surrender. ;)

Sepiatone

Not a metaphor, but one of my favorite closers is at the end of THE HALF-NAKED TRUTH. Lee Tracy to Lupe Velez: "Hurry up, baby, Papa's got a BIG SURPRISE for you!" Steiner makes it kosher, though, by playing the wedding march over the End Title!!

On 4/3/2018 at 7:22 PM, speedracer5 said:

Get off my lawn!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've always loved the hoops the writers of The Great Lie had to go through to get the story to comport with the Production Code.

Lovelorn columnist ANN LANDERS often said "Dancing is the vertical version of the horizontal intent.",  so I kind of wonder just WHAT those Fred and Ginger movies WERE about? :D

Sepiatone

• Haha 1