faceinthecrowd

Quiz: What movie is this line from?

2,061 posts in this topic

"There was salt in the air the day he was born -- a great quantity of salt!"

I love this line partly because it was spoken by one of my favorite actors, and partly because I have no idea what it means.

> {quote:title=faceinthecrowd wrote:}{quote}

> "There was salt in the air the day he was born -- a great quantity of salt!"

Per imdb, said by Curro Natalio in *Blood and Sand*, (1941).

I don't know what it means, either.

Correct. And the actor was the tragically short lived Laird Cregar.

I agree with RainingViolets: let's keep the thread going by giving the first to answer the privilege of posing the next line. So, it's your turn, cmvgor.

There is already a thread set up for something like that, but I don't mind...I've used this one before.

"Now, Henry, you a rich man. And a rich man can't afford to go broke. You go on back up there to New York, and you get you some money."

In the movie where this speech is used, it comes just before the opening credits roll.

"They dance her out into the street, they dance her over the mountains and valleys, through fields and forests, through night and day. Time rushes by, love rushes by, life rushes by..."

"What happens in the end?"

"Oh, in the end, she dies."

The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973)

So, I'm tendin' bar there at Ecklund and Swedlin's last Tuesday, and this little guy's drinkin' and he says, "So where can a guy find some action? I'm goin' crazy out there at the lake." And I says, "What kinda action?" and he says, "Woman action, what do I look like?" And I says, "Well, what do I look like, I don't arrange that kinda thing," and he says, "I'm goin' crazy out there at the lake," and I says, "Well, this ain't that kinda place."

*Fargo*. Darn tootin'!

"That's what I like about you. You could be hangin' by your fingers off the side of a cliff, and you'd call it climbin' the mountain."

>

> "That's what I like about you. You could be hangin' by your fingers off the side of a cliff, and you'd call it climbin' the mountain."

Didn't mean to paralyze the thread. That's Chill Wills to Glenn Ford in *The Rounders*, (1965)

Here's another:

"Where there is greatness -- great government, great power, or even great passion, error, also, is great. Long life, young Arrius, and the good sense to enjoy it."

Who and in what?

Uhh, not quite. Actually it was Frank Thring as Pontius Pilate to Charlton Heston as Judah Ben-Hur. Pilate was addressing Ben-Hur by his _Roman_ name as adoptive son of the Jack Hawkins character.

But that's close enough for guv'ment work. Your thread.

Okey dokey, have one ready:

"Workers of the world, arise. You've got nothing to lose but Visa card, Happy Meal and Kotex with wings."

Who? What film? (Spelling counts.)

> "Workers of the world, arise. You've got nothing to lose but Visa card, Happy Meal and Kotex with wings."

>

> Who? What film? (Spelling counts.)

Another clue: In addition to 21st Century title, think of a colorful title.

This has lasted long enough.

The "Workers" quote is from the delightful "Rena", played by _Svetlana Efremova_ in what may have been the only light passage of *White Oleander* (2002).

Here's another:

"...actually its from Robert Morley; 'Show me a man who says he enjoyed school, and I'll show you either a bully or a bore.' " *

*..(Mr. Morley's filmography has a slightly different wording for this sentiment, but I'm citing a late '80s movie that uses the quote.)

Negative re *Society*. The actor giving the speech got an Oscar for his performance in another film.

Sorry about the delay; my friend here was away with an _expensive_ virus for a while.

I still have hopes for this one. The movie was possibly the best of the "switched personalaties"

franchise in the late 1980s. The actor giving the line was awarded an Oscar late in his career.

> "...actually its from Robert Morley; 'Show me a man who says he enjoyed school, and I'll show you either a bully or a bore.' " *

>

> *..(Mr. Morley's filmography has a slightly different wording for this sentiment, but I'm citing a late '80s movie that uses the quote.)

That line is from George Burns in *18 Again!* (1988). A bump on the head causes 81-year-old

Burns to swap personalaties with his grandson, aged 18 (Charlie Schlatter). They deal effectively

with each other's problems before switching back.

I don't want to paralyze _or_ monopolize this thread, so its open.

18 AGAIN! is funny and moving, and Anita Morris is something to see.

Here's a line:

"Everything is addition and subtraction. The rest is conversation."