Sign in to follow this  
bansi4

Your Favorite Child Stars

162 posts in this topic

Who will it be? We have Shirley Temple, Freddie Bartholomew, Margaret O'Brien, Mickey Rooney and Jackie Cooper. Of course there are many more including Peggy Ann Garner, Bobby Driscoll, Jackie Coogan, Claude Jarman Jr., Jane Withers, Elizabeth Taylor, Dean Stockwell, Virginia Weidler, Jackie 'Butch" Jenkins, the kids from Our Gang etc.

Mongo

I did suggest the kids from Our Gang since I didn't feel like listing them all. Take your pick.

Mongo

I was thinking about Spanky in "Trail of the Lonesome Pine", not just in the "Our Gang" movies, when I picked his name. ;)

Additionally, I've liked Bobs Watson ("Boys Town"), Terry Kilburn ("Goodbye, Mr. Chips), Ivan Jandl ("The Search"), Patty McCormack ("The Bad Seed"), and Patty Duke ("The Miracle Worker") in juvenile roles. ML

Jackie Coogan, in Chaplin's THE KID, is amazing. Funny and moving, it's probably my favorite performance by a child actor ever. I am glad the 'Our Gang' kids were mentioned. What a talent pool Hal Roach had to work with. I have seen most of the Our Gang/Little Rascals shorts, but there are still many silent 'Our Gang' shorts I haven't seen and would love to find on video or dvd........

Roddy Mcdowall, Micky Rooney, Liz Taylor (like better as kid than an adult), Matthew Broderick, River Phoenix, Judy Garland, Shelley Fabares, Ron Howard, Drew Barrymore are a few off the top of my head.

Classicsfan1119,

Thanks for the info! There are a few places I go on the Net to find movies, but haven't really looked for the Our Gang shorts in a while. I'll give it a shot. Again, I appreciate your kind help. Thanks, again.

I know this is the easy answer but I just love Shirley Temple. Hell, she saved Fox back in the 30's. You just can't beat that kind of star power.

Dickie Moore is another fine child actor. Of the Dead End Kids I like Leo Gorcey, and Billy Halop. It's interesting to watch Billy Halop on old All in the Family episodes, he plays cab driver Munson. The year's seem to have been very rough for the babyfaced Dead Ender.

Freddie Bartholomew & Roddy McDowell, especially based on their performances in "Captains Courageous" and "How Green Was My Valley", respectively.

Margaret O'Brien. She was terrific, and so believable. I first saw her in The Canterville Ghost. My daughters both got hooked on her when watching A Journey For Margaret. She was a great actress.

I enjoyed Margaret O'Brien in "The Secret Garden" and Roddy McDowall gave a great performance in "How Green Was My Valley." For comedy, I'd have to go with Jane Withers - she cracked me up as the brat in "Bright Eyes" with Shirley Temple. She stole the show. My favorite performance by a child actor would have to be Peggy Ann Garner in "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" - she was amazing in that. Also Bonita Granville in "These Three" with Merle Oberon and Miriam Hopkins - she was so evil you just wanted to smack the hell out of her!

Many child stars have impressed me throughout the years

which makes it difficult to choose. However I compiled a list of a dozen moppets who I felt touched my heart and/or amazed me with their performances at one time or another.

*Bobs Watson "On Borrowed Time"

*Connie Marshall "Sentimental Journey"

*Bobby Driscoll "The Window"

*Laurie Lee Michel "Mighty Joe Young" (1949)

*Claude Jarman Jr. "The Yearling"

*Janis Wilson "Now, Voyager"

*Freddie Bartholomew "Captains Courageous"

*Virginia Weidler in "The Women"

*Peggy Ann Garner in "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn"

*Skippy Homeier "Tomorrow, the World!"

*Jane Withers "Bright Eyes"

*Joan Carroll "Primrose Path"

Mongo

My least favorite child actor has to be the one who played Bonnie Blue Butler in Gone With the Wind. There had to be a better choice out there. Good thing she bit the dust early on. I don't think she did anything else after that performance.

My favorite child star is Jackie Cooper in the movies

the champ & treasure island priceless!............

and proud of the fact that he also made the change into

being an accomplished adult actor not an easy task to do

in Hollywood when your a child actor!.......my hats off

to him.

Jackie Coogan in "The Kid" is unforgettable...such a lovely child & face....it's hard to think he grew up to be Uncle Fester in "The Addams Family" sitcom of the sixties, not that he isn't enjoyable, he's a great comedian....but you couldn't possibly tell he's the same person who as a child acted in that marvelous Chaplin film.

> Jackie Coogan, in Chaplin's THE KID, is amazing.

> Funny and moving, it's probably my favorite

> performance by a child actor ever. I am glad the 'Our

> Gang' kids were mentioned. What a talent pool Hal

> Roach had to work with. I have seen most of the Our

> Gang/Little Rascals shorts, but there are still many

> silent 'Our Gang' shorts I haven't seen and would

> love to find on video or dvd........

I agree there. And I've said it before here somewhere, I think Jackie Coogan should've seriously won an Oscar for that performance. Too bad they didn't exist yet.

I also think Tatum O'Neal is fantastic.

Forgot about Tatum O'Neal. She was outstanding as Addie in "Paper Moon" which won her a well deserved Oscar.

Should mention that Jackie Cooper was indeed a brilliant child star especially in "The Champ" with Wallace Beery.

Mongo

Also, let's not forget Peggy Ann Garner's superb performance as Jane Eyre (1943), when she was a liitle girl (later grew up to be Joan Fontaine)...Liz Taylor (then 10 or 11 years old), played her friend at the poor reformatory/boarding school to which her wicked aunt (Jane's) sent her...