RainingViolets101

Who Said This ?

1,621 posts in this topic

Many thanks to those who have said they are trying to work on this question. It's nice to hear that someone is paying attention.

Here is the question again, with a new clue:

Who was it that, when asked for his Social Security Number, answered: "Five."

The question is asked by an Oscar-winning actress. The other person in the scene is played by an Oscar-nominated actor.

The film is relatively new. It was produced in the 21st century.

Your new clue: The director of this film once portrayed a boxing champion in another film.

Bonus clue: You may want to ask yourself WHY the question is posed here as it is, and not in a more conventional way... for example, it isn't quoted verbatim.

Name the speakers and the title of this film.

Cheers,

Dan

Just bumping this. I may be nuts, but I believe this could be a very interesting question.

The question is asked by an Oscar-winning actress. The other person in the scene is played by an Oscar-nominated actor.

Your new clue: The director of this film once portrayed a boxing champion in another film.

Bonus clue: You may want to ask yourself WHY the question is posed here as it is, and not in a more conventional way... for example, it isn't quoted verbatim.

Cheers,

Dan

RainingVi said:

Danny.

pure guess - Cate Blanchet and Brad Pitt

"Curious Case of Benjamin Button' ?

Sorry, no. You are on the right track, as Cate B. is an Oscar winner, and Brad Pitt is Oscar-nominated but hasn't won yet. That is the same pattern as with our mystery guests.

Perhaps this will help: The Oscar-winning actress who asks the question about the S.S. number has won the Oscar for Best Actress, as opposed to Ms. Blanchett's Supporting Actress award.

The actor who answers, "Five" to the question of his Social Security number, has been nominated for Best Actor. He has also been nominated for an award as Best Supporting Actor. No wins yet.

Here is the question, again:

Cheers,

Dan

Maybe I'm crazy, but I am going to bump this question one more time. If nobody wants to reply, well at least I tried. This is a VERY POPULAR film.

Cheers,

Dan

Could it be "The Good Shepherd" (2006) directed by Robert De Niro? The question would have to have been asked by Oscar winner Angelina Jolie. The actor was probably Matt Damon, who played her husband, or possibly Alec Baldwin, who was also in the film. Both men have been Oscar nominated.

MilesArcher wrote:

Could it be "The Good Shepherd" (2006) directed by Robert De Niro? The question would have to have been asked by Oscar winner Angelina Jolie. The actor was probably Matt Damon, who played her husband, or possibly Alec Baldwin, who was also in the film. Both men have been Oscar nominated.

Excellent research, Miles... but the answer is wrong. Nevertheless, you made the connection as to an Oscar-winning actress and an Oscar-nominated actor (though Matt Damon did, of course, receive an Oscar award for co-writing 1997's "Good Will Hunting").

The people in question are: An Oscar-winning actress and an Oscar-nominated actor. The actor in the question has two nominations for acting: One for Best Actor, the other for Best Supporting Actor.

And you are right about the director of "The Good Shephered." Robert DeNiro, who directed, played middleweight boxing champ Jake LaMotta in "Raging Bull" (1980). But the director of the film in question played a different champ, from a different weight division.

You are so close to getting it right, and you've done some real research. Much appreciated.

One more clue: The chief villain in the movie in question made his first film appearance when he was one year old.

Once again, who was it that, when asked for his Social Security number, answered: "Five." And in what film?

Cheers,

Dan

Okay, this question has been up for a full month. It was posted on January 10, and the replies have been few and far between. So I'm taking it down.

The question was this:

Who was it that, when asked for his Social Security number, answered: "Five." Name the actor and the title of the film.

That's it. I'll save the question to use again at a later time.

Gentlemen... and ladies... the thread is OPEN!!!

Cheers,

Dan

Before you take it down completely, let me venture one more guess. Is it "Iron Man"? Now that we know that Jeff Bridges made his screen debut when he was just a one year old makes this a bit easier. Robert Downey Jr. is the twice nominated actor and Gwyneth Paltrow is the Oscar winning actress. Jon Favreau directed. He also once played boxing champ Rocky Marciano. I don't know why the social security question wasn't asked verbatim.

Message was edited by: MilesArcher

MilesArcher wrote:

Before you take it down completely, let me venture one more guess. Is it "Iron Man"? Now that we know that Jeff Bridges made his screen debut when he was just a one year old makes this a bit easier. Robert Downey Jr. is the twice nominated actor and Gwyneth Paltrow is the Oscar winning actress. Jon Favreau directed. He also once played boxing champ Rocky Marciano. I don't know why the social security question wasn't asked verbatim.

Miles, the reason why the Social Security question wasn't asked verbatim is this:

If you go to the IMDb and search under "Quotes" for "What's your Social Security number?" then guess what pops up?

Yep, you'll immediately see that Gwyneth Paltrow (as "Pepper" Potts) asks that question of Robert Downey Jr. in... ta da!

"Iron Man!" (2008)

And that would have given the game away. So I chose a more circuitous route, evading the guesses of many a Trivia poster... until that intrepid detective Miles Archer finally closed in and solved the puzzle!

Hmmm, you connected the dots because we had just completed a search for Jeff Bridges under another thread? In the future I'll have to avoid duplicate searches....

In the meantime, Miles, do a victory lap. You're so sharp, I have no idea why you let Mary Astor get the drop on you like that. Or was it Brigid O'Shaugnessy?

Cheers,

Dan

Thanks, Dan. Mary Astor had that "Madonna Face" back then. She didn't look quite the same in "Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte" did she? Okay, "Who said this?" is the topic. Here is an exchange between a daughter and her parents in a movie that I'm sure most of you have seen.

Daughter: I'm twelve years old, dad. In the caveman days I'd be having children of my own.

Father: That's what we call progress, young lady.

Mother: She couldn't stay your little girl forever, Jim.

Father: I know. But I was hoping she could wait until she was 14 or 15 . . . or 50.

What movie is this from, who played the father, mother, and daughter, and what were their character's names? The movie was made within the last fifteen years and was a major money maker.

Daughter: I'm twelve years old, dad. In the caveman days I'd be having children of my own.

Father: That's what we call progress, young lady.

Mother: She couldn't stay your little girl forever, Jim.

Father: I know. But I was hoping she could wait until she was 14 or 15 . . . or 50.

What movie is this from, who played the father, mother, and daughter, and what were their character's names? The movie was made within the last fifteen years and was a major money maker.

I'll take a stab at this.

The daughter is played by Liesel Matthews, in "Air Force One" (1997). She plays Harrison Ford's little girl.

Wendy Crewson is the mother.

Character's names: James Marshall, Grace and Alice.

Cheers,

Dan

Bumpety bump da bump!

I'm bumping this question, because I think it's too good to ignore. Consider the dynamics of the subject matter.

And I will add the clue that this quote is said by a female, to a male. She's trying to make him understand that real love is more than just biology, it's the real regard for another human being that is in all of us.

Here it is again:

"Scientists can write all the books they like, about love being the trap of nature. I remember reading that it's biology or the chemistry inside us. But all the scientists are going to convince are other scientists."

Who spoke those romantic words, to whom, and in what movie?

Cheers,

Dan

Dan, I keep hoping you'll give the answer to this quote... I can see the scene in my mind's eye, but can't remember the movie. A conversation between a man and a woman, I believe he's a scientist and they are in a lab. The quote is the woman's... What IS the film?

You don't have to wait for anyone's response - it's whoever gets the first answer

now - what film is this from

"I don't envy you - with your love you made a shadow of Richard, with your love you estranged Mother and Father No - I don't envy you - your the most pitiful creature I Know"

I have a question. If you don't wait for a response from the person who wrote the quote, how do you, or the rest of us, know your answer is correct?

You don't have to wait for the poster who wrote it to respond...

Leave Her To Heaven is the right answer, but, you must not

only answer the clue you must continue and give new lines

from another film so the thread goes on....

Sorry I waited, but here's a new one:

One night I brought home a hundred dollars and gave it to him. Do you know what he did?... Well, it sure didn't do the plumbing no good.