RainingViolets101

Who Said This ?

1,621 posts in this topic

Alright you guys and girls. If you don't mind, I'm gonna try and revive this thread. See if you can recognize this easy quote from the fifties:

"There they were in the dark--the Duke with his dagger, the Doge with his dart, and the Duchess with her dirk....Yes, Sire! The Duchess dove at the Duke just when the Duke dove at the Doge. Now the Duke ducked, the Doge dodged, and the Duchess didn't. So the Duke got the Duchess, the Duchess got the Doge, and the Doge got the Duke!"

King: What? What's that? All I heard was that the Duchess had a siege of rheumatism. She's 83 you know..."

Edited by: mudskipper on May 22, 2010 7:04 PM

Without bothering to look anything up, two guesses:

1. Bob Hope in *Casanavoa's Big Night*

2. Danny Kaye in *The Court Jester*

Yep. The Court Jester...The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true. But they broke the chalice from the palace and replaced it with a flagon--a flagon with a dragon....Now the pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon, the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true....Great gags and script by Mervin Frank and Norman Panama....Your turn.

Thanks, mudskipper. New one:

"...if it were in my power, I'd release (the defendents), drop all the charges, let 'em go. If only I could send some lawyers and judges to the gas chamber."

War Correspondent: "What if my parachute doesn't open?"

Captain :"Then you'll be the first one on the ground."

Hint--Obviously a military movie (for Memorial Day.). There are no women in the cast.

Edited by: mudskipper on May 30, 2010 2:39 PM

Then I?ll guess *Platoon* from Oliver Stone who went on to make *Born on the Fourth of July* and *Heaven and Hell*?a bigger guess is who said it?I?m going with either Sgt. Elias (the Willem Dafoe character) or Sgt. Barnes (the Tom Berenger character)?

I guessed all the way around Charlie Sheen?s character Chris Taylor?I didn?t remember him being that eloquent?but I haven?t seen this one for 20 yrs.

Thanks, Mr.6?s?it is a great war film?I?ll be back when as soon as I come up with something quotable?

Here?s a line that amused me:

?Mules are crazy but there isn?t one on this range you couldn?t learn from??

What character/actor/film?

No, C, but he could have?good guess. This movie is also by a respected director and aired on TCM very recently?

Good guesses, but no?as mentioned, was on not long ago (at all) ? one-time heartthrob was the star?

Indeed it is Mr.6?s?back to you?it was Robert Taylor, btw

Edited by: theladyeve on Jun 5, 2010 5:30 PM

Thanks...This actor, a golf enthusiast, was applying for membership in an exclusive golf club when told that his application was denied because they don't accept actors...He said, " I'm no actor, and I've got 64 pictures to prove it."

Who was he ?