Sign in to follow this  
nickdimeo

RIP TCM NEWSBOY (1994-2004)

8 posts in this topic

There is an unfortunate dark side to TCM's joyous celebration of their 10 year anniversay. This involves TCM's decision to retire the "This Week in Hollywood History" newsboy announcer (1994-2004)! He has been replaced with a Baldwin brother soundalike that just does not do the commercials justice. I, for one found myself very entertained by the newsboy's voice and had a lot of joyful moments imitating it. The newsboy, however will live forever on the many tapes I have recorded TCM movies on. I'll miss you newsboy!

The voice sounded like Ben Mankewicz (sp) that does the movie introductions on the weekend. Not nearly as dramatic as the guy who used to do it.

Your right nick. I've also noticed that the original newsboy voice was replaced which is too bad.

I also think that the "new" voice belongs to the limp Ben M. who host the movies on the weekends.

I hope TCM brings back that original announcer who sounded like the guy selling papers in those 1930s and 1940s movies.

Mongo

I agree; the new voice doesn't feel quite right. I'm the kind of person that loves familiarity, damnit, so this change is very much unwelcome.

Okay, had it been up to me, the person behind the other voice would never've been hired for the job in the first place (my judgment can be poor, though ;-) ), but I was used to that voice. X-(

I also noticed this unfortunate change in the "Week in Hollywood History" announcement. I also miss the music. It was so nostalgic the way they used to do it - it fit right in with TCM's whole theme - the commanding music and cool voice were very reminiscent of the 30's and 40's like Mongo said. Maybe if enough of us complain, TCM will bring back the old style which was a helluva lot better. And speaking of Ben Mankewicz - he really has to go - he's the biggest bore I've ever seen, although he probably thinks he's acting "cool" - but you can see he has absolutely no enthusiasim or interest in being a host. Good 'ol Robert Osborne who's probably about 30 years older has more vibrance and personality then Ben could ever hope for.

I would love to be the weekend host of TCM movies if Uncle Bob needs time off, but I'm afraid there are 2 things holding me back--I'm not good looking and I would be way too enthusiatic about the films they would show, like film geeky enthusiatic. But my ideal job is to be a film historian, although I have no idea how to go about it. Plus I'm lazy!!!!