Sign in to follow this  
filmlover

Which 3-5 films would you pick to highlight a career or a genre?

339 posts in this topic

It is quite alright for more than one person to pick a particular star/etc., and to duplicate films. I just ask that each poster to pick the 3-5 films they think best represents that person.

John Wayne (y'all knew that was coming):

*The Searchers*

*The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance*

*She Wore a Yellow Ribbon*

*Red River*

*Stagecoach*

If Lynn is allowed to offer her John Waynes, here's my Judy Garlands:

*Meet Me in St, Louis*

*A Star is Born*

*The Wizard of Oz*

*The Clock*

*Babes in Arms*

And for good measure, Mickey Rooney:

*Boys Town*

*Love Finds Andy Hardy*

*Babes in Arms*

*Killer McCoy*

*It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World*

Rooney is a hard one -- WAY too long a career to condense into five movies. I wanted to include *Young Tom Edison, A Midsummer Night's Dream* and *Pete's Dragon* too!

Thanks for mentioning A Midsummer Night's Dream. Like a lot of people, I was initially put off by Mickey's laugh when seeing clips and avoided watching it for a long time. But upon seeing the entire movie, I realized what a great, mature performance it was. He's a treasure.

Try to see *A Midsummer Night's Dream* in a real theatre if you get the chance. It absolutely shimmers on the big screen -- it's one of those movies that REALLY feels like a different experience in the theatre.

*BETTE DAVIS* (can't believe no one has done her)

1. All About Eve

2. Of Human Bondage (I watch this one over and over)

3. Jezebel

4. The Letter

5. Now, Voyager

6. Mr. Skeffington

I will stop at six, but she is my all time favorite actress. Loved her in Whatever Happened To Baby Jane.

Five Best Child Star Performances:

Margaret O'Brien, *Meet Me in St, Louis*

Bobby Driscoll, *The Window*

Jane Withers, *Bright Eyes*

Tommy Kirk, *Old Yeller*

Shirley Temple, *The Littlest Rebel*

(And the hammiest fun, Patty McCormack in *The Bad Seed* )

Message was edited by: ChipHeartsMovies who can't always use PlainText properly.

I did something similar to this on my movie blog. I got out of the habit of posting to it and haven't in months but this makes me want to start up again.

*John Garfield*

Destination Tokyo

The Postman Always Rings Twice

Humouresque

Body and Soul

Force of Evil

Very nice Garfield list, OneSharpDame. I could never put together a list for him and leave out *Four Daughters* even if it wasn't one of his largest roles, but it was his first and apparently the one in which he first caused quite a reaction at the time. But even though his career was sadly shorter than it should have been, he still made quite a few excellent films, including the ones you have chosen.

George Cukor

*Born Yesterday*

*Dinner at Eight*

*The Philadelphia Story*

*The Women*

*A Star is Born*

Another hard one, way too many excellent movies. *Camille, Little Women, Holiday, Gaslight, What Price Hollywood, My Fair Lady, Adam's Rib* --- you can make MULTIPLE lists of five great films from him.

Message was edited by: ChipHeartsMovies

One of my all-time favorites......

Ronald Coleman

Lost Horizon

Prisoner of Zenda

The Talk of the Town

Random Harvest

A Double Life

I decided to go back and edit this post because I wanted to share my reasons for choosing the films I chose.

The way I took FilmLover's very thoughtful thread was to name 3-5 films that best illuminate the talents and/or highlight the entire career of a film contributor. I wanted to attempt to do both.

The only two film contributors that I have seen enough of their output to speak with any kind of confidence about are Alfred Hitchcock and Fritz Lang.

Alfred Hitchcock

Blackmail

The 39 Steps

Notorious

Rear Window

Psycho

Blackmail is Hitch's and Britain's first "talkie." I consider it to be one of his most underrated works and a strong example of the young and very ambitious Master. You will find many of Hitch's themes present in this film and it's quite entertaining. Highly recommended.

I consider The 39 Steps to be Hitch's best pre-Hollywood film. It's the first of his innocent-man-on-the-run films. I also love the pairing of Robert Donat and Madeleine Carroll, two performers that Hitch looked to duplicate in the future.

I chose Notorious because I believe it best represents Hitch of the 40s (World War II). It also shines a light on one of Hitch's favorite themes: the dominant mother. The film also showcases Hitch's personal take on the "battle of the sexes" with two of the best in the biz, Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman. The tug-of-war between the two is one of the best in screen history. The fight for love.

My biggest struggle was choosing between Rear Window and Vertigo. I decided to go with Rear Window because it has both James Stewart and Grace Kelly, two of Hitch's biggest players. Another major Hitch theme is on showcase in Rear Window: voyeurism. Who else could make being a peeping Tom seem "innocent"?

The reason why I wanted to choose Vertigo was because of its theme: male sexual obsession. This is a theme Hitch would subtly and not so subtly include in many of his films. An interesting Hitch double feature would be Vertigo and Spellbound, which is about female sexual repression.

Finally, I went with Psycho because I believe it's a film that changed film, for better or worse. I also think it's one of the best crafted of Hitch's films, including what I consider the most memorable of all Hitch scenes. The film also features the very unique score provided Bernard Herrmann, as no essential Hitch list would be complete without a Herrmann-scored film. Although, I do like Herrmann's score for Vertigo more. And I'm still amazed that Hitch killed off a star halfway through the film, completely shifting its focus. Brilliant. Psycho also contains a popular Hitch theme: psychology.

Fritz Lang

Metropolis

M

You Only Live Once

Scarlet Street

The Big Heat

Lang proved to be actually tougher for me.

Metropolis is arguably the most known of Lang's films and its importance in cinema is just. It's one of the very first sci-fi films and has influenced prominent filmmakers ever since its premiere. Like most sci-fi films worth their salt, the combination of grand visuals and a grander message makes Metropolis a very powerful film experience. This is signature Lang. I also believe any Lang list needs to include a film written by his collaborator and wife of over ten years, Thea von Harbou.

For me, M is Lang's greatest film because it showcases his two greatest strengths: creative visuals and social commentary. Like Metropolis, M was decades ahead of its time. It's a harrowing masterpiece.

Initially, I had Destiny amongst my five Lang flicks because I wanted to include another silent film since I believe his most stunning films were made at UFA, where he had greater control. But I decided to go with You Only Live Once because I wanted to include one of Lang's first Hollywood films. Most would select Fury over You Only Live Once, but I like the latter more because I feel it's more Langian, specifically the ending. I feel You Only Live Once is a true precursor to film noir, a "genre" that I believe Lang was the Master of. You Only Live Once also features Lang's greatest of themes: distrust of power. You also get a major film noir theme: paranoia.

Scarlet Street is the Lang film I like to watch the most. It's also my favorite film noir. I believe it to be a near-perfect film (film noir at its purest) and a prime example of Lang in 40s Hollywood. The film also features Lang's leading lady and co-production owner, Joan Bennett. A must-see Lang list must see Bennett on it. Edward G. Robinson plays against type to perfection and Dan Duryea is at his Dan Duryea-est. The ending is a Code shocker.

I decided to go with The Big Heat for my final selection because I consider it to be one of the better films noir ever made and a good example of Lang toward the end of his reign. Per Lang usual, the major theme is distrust of power, but the film's strength is its bravado. Gloria Grahame, Glenn Ford, and Lee Marvin all stand out. The film has many high moments. The opening alone caused my jaw to drop.

My only regret with my Lang list is that I couldn't include a Dr. Mabuse film. If the goal is to show a person the heart of Lang's themes, I would go with Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler over The Big Heat or You Only Live Once. The root of Lang's distrust of power comes from his time in Germany and his seeing the rise of Hitler and Nazism. His Dr. Mabuse films shine a light on this. They are also highly entertaining. Spies is also a film ahead of its time. You'll see Hitch before Hitch and James Bond films before James Bond films.

Big Chuck...Charlton Heston...

1. The Ten Commandments

2. Ben Hur

3. El Cid

4. The Planet of the Apes

5. Will Penny

Jenetico--I hope you'll think I did Bette Davis justice when I introduce her film "THE LETTER" during the 15th Anniversary of TCM in April. I was the Fan Guest Programmer who intros with Robert Osborne, this great Bette Davis film. (What're your thoughts on "Dark Victory")?

Hitchcock - Vertigo, Rear Window, Psycho North By Northwest, The Birds

Gary Cooper - Mr. Deeds Goes To Town, Sergeant York, Meet John Doe, High Noon

Humphrey Bogart - The Maltese Falcon, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Casablanca, The Big Sleep, Key Largo

John Ford - The Quiet Man, Stagecoach, Fort Apache, The Searchers, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

Cary Grant - Bringing Up Baby, The Philadelphia Story, North By Northwest, Bringing Up Baby, Notorious

Kirk Douglas - Spartacus, The Bad And The Beautiful, Lust For Life, In Harm's Way

Jimmy Stewart - Mr. Smith Goes To Washington, It's A Wonderful Life, Harvey, Rear Window, Vertigo

Stanley Kubrick - Paths of Glory, Dr. Strangelove, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Barry Lyndon, The Shining

Message was edited by: Vertigo22

Cary Grant

The Awful Truth

His Girl Friday

Destination Tokyo

Notorious

North By Northwest

William Weyler

Films:

HELLS HEROES (1930)

COUNSELLOR AT LAW (1933)

DEAD END (1937)

THE HEIRESS (1949)

FRIENDLY PERSUASION (1965)

C.B. DeMille

Silent films:

THE CHEAT (1915)

THE WHISPERING CHORUS (1918)

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (1923)

THE KINGS OF KINGS (1927)

THE GODLESS GIRL (1928)

Talkies:

THE SIGN OF THE CROSS (1932)

THE PLAINSMAN (1936)

UNION PACIFIC (1939)

NORTHWEST MOUNTED POLICE (1940)

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (1956)

I?m telling you all.......

There should be a list forum on here somewhere........

Edward G Robinson:

Films:

LITTLE CAESAR (1930)

FIVE STAR FINAL (1931)

TWO SECONDS (1932)

SCARLET STREET (1945)

OUR VINES HAVE TENDER GRAPES (1945)

I would have included KEY LARGO, but I was trying to limit the gangster roles to one film.

The rest of the films I listed all show Robinson in roles other than a gangster.

The one and only Mr Gary Cooper...

1. The Hanging Tree

2. The Pride of the Yankees, I have gotten some young baseball fans, in their 20's, to watch this film and they loved it...they just did not know about it...

3. High Noon

4. Meet John Doe

5. Mr Deeds Goes to Town

*The Man...*

1. The Searchers

2. The Quite Man

3. Red River

4. The Alamo

5. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

6. and many more...

*I love It*

The Director: *Howard Hawks*

The Films:

Only Angels Have Wings

Bringing Up Baby

His Girl Friday

To Have and Have Not

Rio Bravo

If I could have snuck in one more,

I'd have added his one musical,

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. :)

Message was edited by: MissGoddess because I could not leave out Hawks-and-Bogart. So out went *Red River* and in went *To Have and Have Not*.