Sign in to follow this  
kimpunkrock

New Essentials host?

12 posts in this topic

Has anyone heard anything about the new Essentials host? I am looking forward to the next co-host. Rose McGowan has always turned my stomach. I really think she is awful as a co host because for one I never liked her-ever, she doesn't know ANYTHING about classic film and well I just never liked her as a person, actress or celebrity...my disgust for her has nothing to do with TCM, I have disliked her for years. Not only that...she voted for and endorsed...McCain!! Now I dont mean to bring politics into this but come on!!!!!! Watch her endorse him here:

Anyway I am looking forward to finding out who the new host will be. Anyone, even, Miley Cyrus would be better than Rose.

Hi Kim. The new co-host will be Alec Baldwin. CelluliodKid started a thread about it [here|http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=136647&start=15&tstart=0]. I like Baldwin and loved how he conducted his interview with Gene Wilder, so I look forward to seeing what he'll do with the opportunity.

OMG!!!! She voted for McCain????? Now I am really sorry to see her go! From dating Marilyn Manson to voting for McCain....some people do wise up with age! ;)

Seriously Kim, I don't know how you can say she didn't know anything about classic films, that Miley Cyrus would be better...she may not know what Robert does(but then who does?) but she has a love for classic films, and they worked well together.

Lucky for Robert, Alec only screams at Women and little girls....

Hey Kim,

Glad to see you posting here again!

I liked Rose. I thought she did a good job as the *Essentials* co-host. In fact, since they changed the format to a co-host with Robert O, I think Rose is my favorite so far. I think she did a much better job of talking about the films and engaging with Robert O about the films then either Molly Haskell or Carrie Fisher did.

I'm looking forward to Alec Baldwin. I know he brings a great deal of personal baggage with him wherever he goes, but his stint as a Guest Programmer a while back showed that he is a film buff and he gets excited about classic movies.

His interview with Gene Wilder last year was one of the highlights of TCM Original Programming for me at least. Because of his personal baggage, I was surprised at how well he did and the fact that he really did admire Wilder and his work came across very well without being treacly.

I'm looking forward to seeing Robert O and Alec together again.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> I liked Rose. I thought she did a good job as the *Essentials* co-host. In fact, since they changed the format to a co-host with Robert O, I think Rose is my favorite so far. I think she did a much better job of talking about the films and engaging with Robert O about the films then either Molly Haskell or Carrie Fisher did....

Exactly! The other two almost seemed to think it should be a Siskel and Ebert adversarial kind of thing.

I'm actually quite sad to see Rose McGowan's stint ending as Essentials co-host. I thought she was quite eloquent in her discussions with Robert O. I know TCM has never brought any of the old hosts back for a repeat performance, but I do hope they make an exception for her. There were times when I had no interest in the movies being shown, and still tuned in to see what she had to say.

And come on, anyone has to be better than the moment where Molly Haskel proclaimed that women didn't like the Marx Brothers! Oy vey, talk about your sweeping generalizations!

Also, the McCain thing doesn't bother me (even in all my stanch anti-Palin glory) because 1. The election is over and he still lost and 2. Do personal politics really matter in the realm of classic films? Nope.

This is a difficult topic for me, I seem to get a bit irate about it and

it has caused me to write the most number of complaints to TCM.

Rose McGowan as a person or as an actress I have no opinion about.

I do strongly object to her as a co-host of the essentials, more so

than the previous hosts, for a number of reasons. Primarily it comes

down to this, she seems very unfamiliar with classic films and also

comes across as having no aesthetic or critical judgement. This means

they could have grabbed any random person off the street and they

would have brought as much to the table as to why these films are

considered an essential, or why they should not be.

Maybe it was an attempt to draw in a wider audience by having a

novice watching the films, but the discussions about the films

were almost always inane. Often I thought Robert had to simplify

his comments which made it even worse.

I think overall the format works against the concept. The host and

co-host don't have enough time to really discuss the films, and they

end up saying "it's great" or "this scene is amazing because..."

and I would rather hear an actual discussion about the details,

the flaws and the impact of the film. Nothing personal Rose.

mcgowan did a fine job, frankly it was a pleasant change of pace to bring a youthful perspective to the segment. her stint was enjoyable to watch simply because she clearly loves the art of cinema, yet displays no pretense about her limited knowledge of old films, which plays nicely considering the purpose of the segment.

while the cohost version works better than the solo version (due respect to reiner, bogdanovich, and pollack), haskell and fisher spent so much time ensuring we knew they were "experts" that one became thankful the segments are just a few minutes in length. haskell at least offered intelligent commentary and relevant criticism, whereas fisher too often argued for the sake of argument or veered into rambling about her mother, which was utterly annoying.

the irony, of course, is that the two of them together comprise but a fraction of the encyclopedic data found in an osborne. he was a great cinematic mind to begin with, but he's also become the alex trebeck of classic film, amassing a staggering amount of additional knowledge culled from cue cards and teleprompters over the years.