Sign in to follow this  
casablancalover

Guity Pleasures

60 posts in this topic

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> No, because guilty pleasures have to be ENJOYABLE, lol, and I hate every friggin' minute of this movie!!

>

> Reading those words are a guilty pleasure of mine. :)

UTTS gives chick flicks a bad name!

I recently purchased the DVD of Ren? Cardona?s Santa Claus (1959), thanks to this [Movie Morlocks blog|http://moviemorlocks.com/2008/12/16/one-helluva-christmas/]. It's undoubtedly the looniest movie I've seen in a long, long time. A big-eared devil tries to stop a creepy looking Santa Claus from delivering toys. Merlin the Magician comes to Santa's rescue. Santa lives in a cloud castle and listens to what the children of the world are saying thanks to a big set of rubber lips mounted on a computer. And it gets weirder. Originally intended for kids, it's probably more likely to give them nightmares. But for fans of the ultra goofy, it's a Christmas 'disasterpiece'!

santaclausjz4.jpg

Santa teaches 'Pitch' the devil a lesson in holiday etiquette

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

> *"Also, a movie I saw in Confirmation class (Lutheran-"This is most certainly true")- "Without Onions" - which was to fulfill our resist temptation part of the class."* - casablancalover

>

> That's definitely not a "Missouri Synod" Lutheran confirmation class.

>

> Kyle (forgotten everything including the Apostle's Creed) In Hollywood

Ha-ha, Kyle... Mine was for what passed as a liberal synod in those days -LCA (early 60s)! I attend a much more progressive congregation now- and now ELCA. A far cry for what was preached then. Literally-- Thank God.

BTW- *Without Onions* is about girls and boys not giving into sexual temptation with each other. And like so many topics of that period, the Church preached with code words.

h3. Oh, no!

h5. How could I forget *Blue Demin* (1959)???!!! With Carol Lynley and Brandon deWilde. He gets her pregnant, and Warren Berlinger talks them out of an abortion.... I know I've screwed up the plot points a bit, but Warren Berlinger was in both *Blue Denim* and *Without Onions*!! He was cast as the unthreatening male friend in both!

> {quote:title=Film_Fatale wrote:}{quote}

> ccbaxter,

> That movie definitely looks like it would fit in nicely in the TCM Underground! B-)

Great idea! TCMProgrammer take note!

LOL, *Showgirls* was on my list, it must have dropped out when I copy-pasted from the text editor. It was first -- that's why *Striptease* is referred to as "another" stripper movie. I saw *Showgirls* in an advance screening, and I lost count of the number of times I went to see it in the theatre.

> {quote:title=ccbaxter wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Film_Fatale wrote:}{quote}

> > ccbaxter,

> > That movie definitely looks like it would fit in nicely in the TCM Underground! B-)

>

> Great idea! TCMProgrammer take note!

Oh I think I'm going to blush! ;)

Chip - there is no guiltier pleasure, for me, than actually owning that fancy collector's set edition of *Showgirls* that came out about 5 years ago. Let's just say... it's been fun at times. B-)

Uh-oh...I liked it.

Okay, here's my guilty pleasure: "SCREAMING MIMI.'

Anita Ekberg all the way: "A great dame with a great dane."

Guilty as charged.

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> Uh-oh...I liked it.

>

> Okay, here's my guilty pleasure: "SCREAMING MIMI.'

>

> Anita Ekberg all the way: "A great dame with a great dane."

>

> Guilty as charged.

LOL! Was that the tagline?

*Manos the Hands of Fate*

*It Conquered the World*

*It Came without Warning*

*Plan Nine from Outer Space*

*It with Roddy McDowall*

*Angry Red Planet*

*Fiend without a Face*

*Crawling Eye*

*Reptilicus*

*Yongary*

Should I keep going ? I am not feeling that guilty yet :)

Not quite a tagline. Phil Carey (the only actor taller that the statuesque Anita Ekberg in Hollywood) delivers that line within the movie as she walks down a rain-soaked back lotted street with a raincoat and a great dane.

What an image. Have you ever seen the film?

lzcutter writes: "I still love the knife fight scene between Boyd and another character. The other character wields a knife and Boyd wields a waste basket. Mr Cutter was on the floor laughing so hard his eyes startinng watering."

Instead of helping up your poor husband from the floor...you didn't change the channel? He seems like a nice guy. Tsk! Tsk! Read your wedding vows again. ;-)

Hey, ya got something there, Casablanca. I hope you can see the movie. One person's guilty pleasure is another person's...uh...hmmm...______________.

*Instead of helping up your poor husband from the floor...you didn't change the channel? He seems like a nice guy.*

He is a good guy but like me he could not turn away from this movie. Yes, it's that bad but in a fun way.

By the time it was over we had laughed so much we were tuckered out.

Douglas Sirk. Anything by Douglas Sirk. I apologize to anyone who might be offended. But when Jane Wyman says in *Magnificent Obsession* (I think I have this right) after her operation:

>*I think is see a little.*

I always laugh. My bad.

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> lzcutter writes: "I still love the knife fight scene between Boyd and another character. The other character wields a knife and Boyd wields a waste basket. Mr Cutter was on the floor laughing so hard his eyes startinng watering."

>

> Instead of helping up your poor husband from the floor...you didn't change the channel? He seems like a nice guy. Tsk! Tsk! Read your wedding vows again. ;-)

Wait a minute, CineMaven! Wouldn't you like to write something so funny you would make your friend's spouses laugh so hard they cry!? I guess it should be in comedy, however.