Sign in to follow this  
casablancalover

Guity Pleasures

60 posts in this topic

> {quote:title=casablancalover wrote:}{quote}

> OMG- Tomorrow is *Maisie* Day! Hooray! We all should try to be more like *her* ! Fun gal.

>

Alright, if you say so... ;)

lzcutter writes: "I still love the knife fight scene between Boyd and another character. The other character wields a knife and Boyd wields a waste basket. Mr Cutter was on the floor laughing so hard his eyes startinng watering."

CineMaven wrote: "Instead of helping up your poor husband from the floor...you didn't change the channel? He seems like a nice guy. Tsk! Tsk! Read your wedding vows again." ;-)

Casablancalover: "Wait a minute, CineMaven! Wouldn't you like to write something so funny you would make your friend's spouses laugh so hard they cry!? I guess it should be in comedy, however."

Of course. You're quite right Casablancalover. Make 'em laugh! Make 'em cry!

With me, it's Jerry Lewis. Most of his movies leave much to be desired. But they have moments that sparkle, and a wacky, offbeat flair about them. Lewis was an energetic performer, and his unbridled antics were sometimes (note SOMETIMES) entertaining. The night club scenes with Dean are good. The visuals in THE ERRAND BOY. THE FAMILY JEWELS is downright clever.

I also enjoy super hero stories. Not just the far too numerous contemporary entries. But Kirk Allyn as Superman. An atrocious Captain America serial I found. And someday I have got to see SPY SMASHER. I've heard so much about it.

If you like super hero serials you have to see the original "Batman"

serials. The second series features J. Carol Nash as a Japanese

scientist, which is more bizarre than offensive. Nash is a great

character actor, but he seems to be playing this character as a

cross between a Southern Colonel and Count Dracula.

The best aspect is how true to life it is in regards to what super

heroes would be like in reality. Home made costumes, stock

cars, traveling with suitcases for their outfits, cheap desk

in their Headquarters, hiding from armed adversaries.

It is so fine.

I'm enjoying another one now: *Flower Drum Song* -although this time I'm guilty of enjoying a now politically-incorrect movie. Sometimes, a fine line; other times, totally running over it.

BTW- I would have no problem with Asian friends liking Ole and Lena jokes.

I have another one. John Hughes teenager movies! Some are better than others. Two of them are exactly alike! But they're fun, if nothing more. BREAKFAST CLUB is practically a modern classic. I don't know anybody who hasn't seen it. PRETTY IN PINK has some sensitive moments. It's not bad at all. SIXTEEN CANDLES is annoying in more than a few places. But, by the time it's over, I don't regret having watched it. The great filmmakers have nothing to fear from this candy. But there's a level of satisfaction for me.

When these movies came out, I was pretty young myself. Now I relate more to the parents in the story! Does this make me a classic?

Message was edited by: redriver