Sign in to follow this  
Film_Fatale

"Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" - 2/16/09

10 posts in this topic

I remember reading somewhere that *Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid* showed up very rarely on TCM on account of it being a Fox film. I think it was even one of the movies folks had hoped to see in the Paul Newman tribute last year, but that TCM wasn't able to include.

So let's hear it for TCM getting the rights to show the movie - on 1/17/09, and also 2/16 and 4/18.

_The Feb. 16th showing is at 8pm ET_:

*Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid* (1969)

Two free-spirited bank robbers flee railroad detectives and head for Bolivia.

Cast: Paul Newman , Robert Redford , Katharine Ross Dir: George Roy Hill C-110 mins, TV-14

DVDCover.jpg

nice phtos, ff. I have very good memories of this movie. actually, the first time I watched it it wasn't the movie itself, it was a movie being shown in another movie and it was dubbed to italian or portugues (i forget which).

so sad about mr. newman but he did a lot of good work for othres, god bless him.

anita

> {quote:title=texanna wrote:}{quote}

> nice phtos, ff. I have very good memories of this movie. actually, the first time I watched it it wasn't the movie itself, it was a movie being shown in another movie and it was dubbed to italian or portugues (i forget which).

You might be thinking of a scene in George Roy Hill's *A Little Romance*, and the movie was actually in French, IIRC. I suppose it was a bit of an in-joke, since Hill also directed *Butch Cassidy*

Over the years I tended to rate this film less and less, its not that good a Western, it really doesn't follow the events of Butch Cassidy's life very well (in truth Sundance was more of a bit player, not present throughout most of Cassidy's outlaw career), and its got a ridiculous music video cut into the middle with contemporary music that makes me cringe every time it starts, it's basically a piece of fluff compared to the great Westerns.

We really could use a better film about Cassidy and the Hole In The Wall Gang.

Entertaining? The first time maybe but its a very very light piece on par with comedy Westerns not something to savor over & over.

Raindrops is way too contemporary a piece of music, there were a spate of Westerns that adopted that formual "The Life And Times of Judge Roy Bean", "The Ballad Of Cable Hogue" are two others that come readily to mind.

Message was edited by: cigarjoe

Entertaining? The first time maybe but its a very very light piece on par with comedy Westerns not something to savor over & over.

I guess I must like this movie an awful lot more than you do, cigarjoe. To me the charm of Newman and Redford more thank make many multiple viewings worthwhile. Suppose it can't be everyone's cup of tea, though.

Whether or not the song is too contemporary never really bothered me, as I felt it fit into the spirit of the film. The chorus on the soundtrack does have a 60's ring to it, imho, but I kind of like it fine like that, too.

Edited to add: remember, it's showing again today (Feb.16) at 5pm ET. B-)

While "Raindrops..." is a pleasant enough song it hardly seemed to have any reason to be in the movie other than a chance to have a few moments of fluff. It is certainly not something that fits the genre. However, several westerns of that period had fluff for songs but usually over the credits and they certainly weren't written by Burt Bacharach, which didn't help their long term status.

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> While "Raindrops..." is a pleasant enough song it hardly seemed to have any reason to be in the movie other than a chance to have a few moments of fluff. It is certainly not something that fits the genre. However, several westerns of that period had fluff for songs but usually over the credits and they certainly weren't written by Burt Bacharach, which didn't help their long term status.

Well, while I certainly respect the opinion of everyone who doesn't like the song or doesn't feel it belongs in the movie, to me personally it represents one of the best moments in the movie. That whole sequence, with the music and all the fooling around, represents the carefree, mellow and idyllic kind of lifestyle to which Butch, Sundance and Etta aspired to and lived for.

The irony, of course, is that it represents a counterpoint to the violence and lawlessness that was necessary for them to continue leading that lifestyle - at least until they get chased out of America.

Anyway, for those who _do_ enjoy the song, here is the clip from the TCM Media Room:

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/index/?o_cid=mediaroomlink&cid=221379