Sign in to follow this  
kenwal34

year older

14 posts in this topic

In answer to a request, I have been a life-long movie fan.Here are a few first experiences in my soon to be 70 years.My first movie was AMONG THE LIVING with Albert Decker.My first serial was CAPTAIN MARVEL. My first western was BOOTS AND SADDLES with Gene Autry.The first midnight show I saw was THE CAT AND THE CANARY with Bob Hope.My first monster movie was FRANKENSTIEN MEETS THE WOLFMAN. Many of the films on TCM, I have seen in theaters.My first movie star to see in person was Ralph Byrd of Dick Tracy fame and much later,John Wayne in a parade.My favorite stars and films are too numerous to mention,but I will be more than glad to answer questions or offer opinions on films that I have seen through the years.

Lastly, my thanks to all of you for making this site the BEST!

roldfilm its amazing how you remembered your first films that you ever saw in the theaters.

I believe that some of the first films I saw at the movies were "Samson and Delilah", "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein", "The Beast with Five Fingers", "The Eddie Cantor Story", "Mighty Joe Young" etc.

Let me know what you think of "The Best Years of Our Lives", "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" and "Pickup on South Street" when you find the time. Thanks.

Mongo

Roldfilm, I hope that your upcoming birthday will be great. I'm always happy to read your comments. But jeepers, ken, I can't remember stuff from last week, much less my first cinematic experiences!! I'm impressed. Thanks to you and your very knowledgeable comments about serials, I paused recently while channel surfing and thoroughly enjoyed a couple of episodes of Victor Jory as The Shadow on my local PBS station. He played the role with alot of zest--I bet it was a pleasure for him after so many dour parts in A and B pictures.

Could you please let me know the name of the earliest John Wayne movie that you can recall? I'd also love to hear your take on the arc of his whole career. (FYI: I love his early stuff like The Big Trail and The Trail Beyond)

moirafinnie14,

When I saw movies when I was young,I was completely into the film.I believed everything was real on that screen!Today,much of the magic is gone.That comes from seeing too many "how they were made features" on dvds.To your questions,I love the early westerns made by Wayne.To really appreciate THE BIG TRAIL,you need to see it in the widescreen version .It was filmed in 70mm as well as full screen.I've been fortunate to see the widescreen print.It'll blow your mind!.As to your serial,THE SHADOW ranks about 15 on my top twenty.Try KING OF THE ROYAL MOUNTED on dvd or tape to see how good a serial can be!

Happy Birthday, roldfilm! Sorry I missed you yesterday, but I was a bit busy elsewhere for the day and half the night. Good to be home again! Please be well...and take care of your health, and have many, many more wonderful Birthday's with us!

:) ML

Happy Birthday! You have me thinking of the first movie I might have seen. I know it must have been a Disney film. My earliest memory is The Incredible Journey, I was 3 1/2 or 4. It's really hard to say if my parents took us to anything before this. It seems we were always going to the drive in theaters in the old station wagon. I remember playing at the play grounds near the screen more than the movies. Probably because we would fall asleep before the double feature was over. Thanks for stirring up such great history. Up in this neck of the woods we have one drive in theater left and last summer we packed up my daughter in the mini van and saw a double feature - she loved it! The only thing missing was the playground area, it had long since been removed.

bansi4,

All three are fine films,but my favorite of the three is TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE. The cast and direction is perfect,and the photography outstanding.You can feel the heat and despare along with the principals,Bogart,Huston and Holt.Very atmospheric,and fine score.BYOUL is deserving of the awards it received.I was a bit uncomfortable watch this movie.I experienced some of the situitions after I returned home after the Korean conflict.Adjustments were hard for me as they were for the characters in the film.PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET is a favorite.A tight little film,and a fine effort for

Richard Widmark,and especially,Thelma Ritter.I thought this was one of Samuel Fullers better directorial efforts along with his THE BIG RED ONE. Not a dull moment in either films.

There was a program some years ago on one of PBS stations called Matinee at the Bijou that recreated the Saturday matinees of my youth.I would love to see that again. In closing,thanks to everyone for their birthday wishes.I really appreciate them!

I taped The Big Trail in widescreen format off AMC back when the channel ruled. It was a bit odd seeing a film from the 1930s being letterboxed! Nowwww, can any of ye trivia buffs tell us the name of the process The Big Trail was shot in?

cinemetal,

The 70 mm process was known as "Grandeur".Showed in full screen, THE BIG TRAIL appears dated,but in wide screen it qualifies for epic status.