Sign in to follow this  
harlowkeatongirl

Buster Keaton Interviews from 1958 (Audio & Transcript!)

5 posts in this topic

Am reading it and loving it.

I'd love to find out more info on the satire he tried to put together on "Grand Hotel." An all-star comedy with Keaton, Laurel and Hardy, and a number of others. I've seen bits and pieces, but man what a find that would be. Wish Thalberg or whoever had okayed it.

Stars weren't as much for collaborating back then as they are now. "Dinner At Eight" is probably the best collaboration of the greatest stars of the day.

But I would've loved to have seen an all-star kind of silent movie made in the 20s or 30s with the great comics of the day. I think a Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, and Harold Lloyd feature would've been awesome to see. LOL They could've played brothers or something. :P The movie equally written, directed, and produced by all three. That would be the only tricky part, I'd imagine. Like Buster said in his audio interview below, he'd only argue something so far and then decide it wasn't worth it. I wonder if the sweetie would stand up for his rights on something like that.. I hope so! :) He was always a great team player, for better or worse! But as the saying goes "too many cooks..."

Maybe it would've just been an elegant mess. :D Heck, I would've paid.

Can you imagine though? A movie like that would've been so sweet. Maybe "Grand Hotel" will surface in some form one day. These "lost films" are being found all the time.

"Harlowkeatongirl", It's interesting to note that Chaplin and Roscoe Arbuckle actually co-starred together in THE ROUNDER'S at Keystone. Than their was combination of Mabel Normand and Arbuckle. Of course Roscoe also discovered "The Man Who Never Smiles". Unfortunately, Arbuckle is better known today for the scandal that virtually destroyed his career, rather than his comic genius. Harold Lloyd spent a few months at Keystone, and actually appeared with Charley Chase in at least one short. This was before either was well known however. Could you imagine Chaplin, Lloyd, Keaton, Arbuckle, and Mabel Normand all at one time as members of Mack Sennet's KEYSTONE COP'S?

I'm inclined to doubt that Chaplin would ever have allowed Keaton or Lloyd to have much input into any potential collaboration they might have engaged in. Chaplin had to retain full creative control of his work. When it came to the credits, Chaplin was anything but generous to his production assistant's! He seemingly needed to take full credit in virtually every are It's entirely possible that some news-reel footage of Chaplin, Lloyd and Keaton all present at the same function does actually exist! That's about as close as it gets.

I believe that Chaplin did actually respect and even greatly admire both Keaton and Lloyd. For example, I was astounded just the other day to see that Chaplin actually recycled a Lloyd gag from BUMPING INTO BROADWAY(1919) two years later when he made THE IDLE CLASS in 1921! BUMPING INTO BROADWAY was a hugely successful two-reeler, perhaps

Lloyd's biggest short up to that time, so it's virtually a certainty that Chaplin must have seen it!

LOL I have a feeling it'd probably be Charlie and Harold going at it. I have a feeling Buster would've argued his point for about 2.6 seconds before going outside for a smoke or something and letting them duke it out. LOL! (I wish he wouldn't have smoked...) Or he would've just said to the rest of the crew, "Let's go play some baseball." :P If I were an actress back then, I would've loved working on the set of either a Chaplin, Keaton, or Lloyd movie... but I'm willing to bet a Keaton set would've been a lot more fun. He liked to loosen up between scenes with a baseball game once in a while, he would try anything if it seemed funny... whether the idea came from his asst. director or from a nameless member of the crew... and he was kind and patient w/his female co-stars, no matter how inexperienced they were. (Once, early on, he was stuck w/that chick from England who won a contest and had never acted before... and couldn't act her way out of a papersack. Practically had a nervous breakdown when Buster started improvising. lolol)

Add Marion Mack to the list of Sennett peeps. Her name is Joey McCreery Lewyn and she was leading lady in "The General." She changed her name and used Mack's first name as her last to honor him. And later on was more active behind the scenes, writing at Paramount w/her husband.

And I love Mabel Normand. And BS on the line in the "Chaplin" movie when Mack (Dan Ackroyd) says: "Mabel actually thinks she can direct." She COULD. I loved "Mabel's Busy Day." And I have a printed off picture of her on my desk at work. LOL.. I'm a huge fan of any and all talented ladies who break the mold. ;)