Sign in to follow this  
Nica

What's an Old Movie You'd Like to See Remade Today?

36 posts in this topic

This is one I think about often. I know some movies you just can't top, but then there are some that I'd love to see interpreted through today's techniques.

One I would love to see remade is Since You Went Away with Claudette Colbert, Jennifer Jones and Shirley Temple. It would be a great one if it were still about World War Two, but I also wonder would it would look like if it were about the war in Iraq. Its a great story that I think could carry throughout the generations very well.

Possibly one of the first things to make me think of this was when I saw Home of the Brave and thought it reminded me quite a bit of The Best Years of Our Lives. I don't know if those two are tied in anyway, but it inspired this whole rant.

Anyway, I was wondering if there is anything you guys would like to see remade today. Please share!

> {quote:title=CelluloidKid wrote:}{quote}

> None...since most Re-makes suck!!

Not all remakes are bad: *The Wizard of Oz* (1939), *The Maltese Falcon* (1941) and *Waterloo Bridge* (1940) were all remakes of earlier movies.

More recently, Martin Scorsese's *The Age of Innocence* is arguably a better movie than the old RKO version (which has been shown on TCM).

A remake that I'm really looking forward to is Tim Burton's live-action *Alice in Wonderland*, which has been made into a movie before both as live-action and as an animated feature.

OK THE WORST REMAKES:

Halloween (2007) -Why a remake!??

The Fog (2005) -Why a remake!??

All The Asian Horror films that are "remade" into American Horror films which are then translated into laughable crap- The Ring (2002), Dark Water (2005) Etc...Crap!

Poseidon (2006) -Why a remake!??

The Stepford Wives (2004) -Why a remake!??

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) -Why a remake!??

Friday the 13th (2009) -Why a remake!??

Planet of the Apes (2001) - I still can;t forgive Tim Burton for this mess!

*None...since most Re-makes suck!!*

Geez, CK, is this any way to welcome a new poster?

To the issue of remakes, I'd like to remind you that *The Three Musketeers* has been remade a few times and the Richard Lester version from the 1970s is quite enjoyable. *Zorro* has been remade more than once and the Antonio Banderas version from the 1990s was pretty darn fun and a good movie to boot.

*Phantom of the Opera* was remade by MGM and the Universal remake of *Hunchback* is nothing to sneeze at.

*The Maltese Falcon*, *High Society*, *Mocambo*, *The Wizard of Oz*, *The Man in the Iron Mask*, *Batman Begins* are all remakes of earlier versions so not all remakes suck.

Granted, there have been some awful misfires ( *The Wiz* anyone?) but you kind of have to look at the remakes on an individual basis instead of condemning them to the awful pile of sucky movies.

Can we say sucky without getting in trouble?

I rather enjoyed the new Stepford Wives. Rather ridiculous, yes, but still very entertaining with its friskiness and what not.

But I am with you on Planet of the Apes.

_The Stepford Wives_ (2004) was joke...a very bad joke and a waste of a cast and crews time and money!! I never thought Nicole Kidman could act, & well, this film proved that!!

Ohhhh BTW, I never ever wasted a dime on it in theaters or even rental...I waited till it came on late night cable, then I watched 1/2 hr of it, laughed and then turned it off! Very forgettable! Poor director Frank Oz, I guess the rent was due!??.

Well, it was good enough that the rent is still more than covered. ;)

(Yes, I know that was sarcasm, but alas.)

ITA about 'Stepford Wives', it is one of the movies I first saw at a slumber party around aged 10 at a late night cable showing also - the 1975 ORIGINAL, that is(someone said they'd heard it was really scary - also, it was filmed in our town - and we were all cool - but VERY mesmerized) that is UNTIL they got Paula Prentiss. We were all like, NO WAY, now she is totally ALONE! (we knew hubby was never going to be good for the long haul).

And then, at the END, in the supermarket!! Well, that was just too weird. Haha, I have seen it since (was it TCM?) and I will see it every time I can. Katherine Ross is so gorgeous.

The Nicole Kidman version was the biggest Remake Mistake I can think of. But aside from that and some others (why mess with what ain't broke, is what I say), I do think SOME films COULD be redone - by the right people - and not for purposes of trying to better, simply to revisit in new ways, as was already stated. To stand beside, in another great, but slightly differing, form. Now, I have to try and remember some examples of ones I have considered....

I'm fine with remakes as long as we still have the originals.

Sensibly, though, why not remake movies that had potential but were rotten in their original making --- I'm thinking Elizabeth Taylor's *Boom!* , or in fact most of what Elizabeth Taylor did in the late 60's and early 70's. Or cheesy things like *Flowers in the Attic* .

richard burton did alexander the great ,it stunk,then came oliver stones,it stunk,its very hard to get it right i guess? i would like to see harvey redone, but i dont think it could be done. no leading man as good as stewart!

I loved _Alexander_ (2004) directed by Oliver Stone!

But I wouldn't call _Alexander_ (2004) a remake! The film is based mostly on the book _Alexander the Great_, written in the 1970s by historian Robin Lane Fox.

> {quote:title=ChipHeartsMovies wrote:}{quote}

> I'm fine with remakes as long as we still have the originals.

>

> Sensibly, though, why not remake movies that had potential but were rotten in their original making --- I'm thinking Elizabeth Taylor's *Boom!* , or in fact most of what Elizabeth Taylor did in the late 60's and early 70's. Or cheesy things like *Flowers in the Attic* .

You actually sat through *Boom!* ? You have my sympathies. ;)

Seriously, your idea is very good. Ideally, they should be remade by directors with a unique vision and a sensibility that is right for the project, not simply as a result of a corporate decision, to be handed to any hack director who'll do it just for the paycheck.

With the poor economic times evoking the 1930s for many of us, why not remake and update some of the films from that era, specifically some of the comedies? I was thinking of something like "Hands Across The Table," whose love vs. money premise still holds today. (My only fear is that it would be shoehorned into today's romantic comedy conventions, so we'd be forced into including the obligatory karaoke and bridal scenes to please the twentysomething receptionist crowd.) I understand that in the late 1980s, when Teri Garr's career was at its peak, she wanted to remake a Carole Lombard comedy (Carole is someone Teri cites as a role model); that would have been a perfect vehicle for her.

"Alice In Wonderland" was earlier mentioned, and I hope Tim Burton's version is a success. That book has never quite translated to film -- my favorite live-action version to date is the 1972 British "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland," where Fiona Fullerton made a charming Alice. Unfortunately, its whimsy never quite got off the ground.

Its weird when actors who played a usually young principal in an original film show up in the remake in one of the senior roles, ie, Michael Caine, in - wait now, was it 'Alfie', or 'Get Carter', or 'Death Trap (which I always get confused with 'Mousetrap', the plots are so reminiscent of each other. Its like, the woman in question is actually IN 'Mousetrap'.) I forget which. I know there are others, but of course, they all escape me at the moment. Grr - its right on the tip of my tongue, too, darn!.

I pretty much agree with CelluloidKid that, remakes today are no good, or at least MOST are no good. Honestly, the only remakes that I like that pop into my head at this moment are *You've Got Mail* (remake of The Shop Around the Corner and In the Good Ol' Summertime) and *Sabrina*. Personally, I like the remake of *Sabrina* (1995; Harry Ford & Julie Ormond) better then the original...weird...because that doesn't ever happen. Anyhow! Besides the few that I do like, I'm still not the biggest fan of remakes, especially if the original was a Best Picture winner.

The only movies that cames to mind right now that I would actually like seeing remade, is *Love in the Afternoon* (1957; Gary Cooper & Audrey Hepburn) and *Ship of Fools*. Only, it would have to be remade during the same time period as the original (Ship of Fools would have to be anyway), and not all trashed up.

> The only movies that cames to mind right now that I would actually like seeing remade, is *Love in the Afternoon* (1957; Gary Cooper & Audrey Hepburn) and *Ship of Fools*. Only, it would have to be remade during the same time period as the original (Ship of Fools would have to be anyway), and not all trashed up.

I was thinking that 'Laura' might be 'safe' to remake, with maybe somewhat more action and locales - but ONLY those that make sense, nothing gratuitous. (because doesn't all the action pretty much take place in Laura's home?) . But you'd have to have perfect casting, and direction. The big question would have to be then, 'Period, or no? The one we know, of course, takes place in the present, which is of course, the 40's.

You're absolutely right, CelluloidKid, Julia Ormond definitely could not act, so it's a good thing I don't watch the movie just for her....

I never thought about *Laura*...that could probably be a 'possible' remake, but yeah...a 'safe' one to remake that is.

I'd like to see *Mr. Roberts* remade as a contemporary comedy-drama. Somewhere in the Middle East perhaps. Don't expand it to cover what's going on over there, that would only detract from it. Same story with the same reserved performances, except for the Jack Lemmon/Ens. Pulver role. I think Jim Carey would fit right in there. There's enough serious comedy in him to do that without going overboard (no pun intended) and I feel there is a good physical resemblance to Lemmon. Perhaps with George Clooney, Robert Downey, Jr., Jim Carey, Harrison Ford and... Kevin Bacon. But, who to portray Capt. Morton..? Who, like James Cagney, could bring enough weight and quiet presence to the role. Is there any actor big enough to fill those shoes? Who's big enough to come to the part and portray a character who's demeanor is almost the polar opposite of every other character we've seen him portray? The story doesn't work without this person.

Numberonefane,

I'm unfamiliar with the *Clerence the Talking Mule* films. Do you by chance mean the *Francis* with Donald O'Connor and Francis the talking mule?