Sign in to follow this  
PopcornAndDots

Just stuff about documentaries- whatever

2 posts in this topic

Watched part of the documentary Joe Strummer: The Future is Unwritten and found that a few people who were interviewed and the photographs that were shown brought me to humor in that I thought they were attempting to reflect "The Beats" (writers/authors). Anyone else catch that?

Also, I am sure that most of you are aware, but I will throw this out anyway- the documentary Gray Gardens has transformed into a hollywood film. I would like to see this film as the documentary is one that I can't seem to forget.

Hi Popcorn! (and all)

I've recently watched two really amazing documentaries.

The first was *King Corn*, a terrific look at all of the pros and cons (mostly cons) of America's corn industry and what it means for everyday people - especially nutritionally. The news here is mostly bad, I guess you could say. The U.S. government continues to give huge subsidies to corn farmers, and as a result you have huge overproduction and in turn this means that cattle is almost always fed corn now (instead of grass) which is bad for the cattle and also for humans who eat that meat. And unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much awareness of it, either. The other big use of corn in our society today is High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS), which is used on almost all bottled and canned drinks, especially sodas. It also appears to be much more harmful than plain old sugar would be, if it was still used. Together, all of this has meant a great deal more obesity in America, both because of the content of the food itself but also because the worst food is also the cheapest food.

The other documentary, which I would highly recommend, is *Man on Wire*, an amazingly beautiful doc about Phillip Petit, the excentric Frenchman who walked the wire between the towers of the World Trade Center in the mid-70s. How the whole thing was planned and pulled off over several months is a fascinating story, and surely the 45 minutes or so that he spent on that wire has got to be one of the most breathtaking things that has ever been captured on a documentary. This really is a one-of-a-kind doc, because it's about something that had never been done before and could never be done again (not in the WTC, of course, but most likely in any other skyscraper in the world).