Sign in to follow this  
Bambi17

Classic background

8 posts in this topic

Me, my mom, and my sister were watching 'you've got mail' on tv when i realized that the bookstore in the movie was called the same thing as in the James Stewart movie, 'Shop around the corner.' Its amazing how the classics are the background of so many movies today!

Since "You've Got Mail" is a modern version of "Shop Around The Corner," that should explain it.

Welcome to the boards.

I love "You've Got Mail" but I didn't like "Shop Around The Corner" as much as I thought I would. There are some interesting similarities in it though. If you've seen "Sleepless In Seattle" they refer to "Affair to Remember (Cary Grant/Deborah Karr) a lot, but it's not a remake of that film. It has the same elements in it but the storyline is a lot different. "SIS" is one of my all-time favorite "modern" movies!

If you want a musical version of "The Shop Around the Corner," try "In the Good Old Summertime" with Judy Garland and Van Johnson. It's basically the same story and very well done.

I also have enjoyed "In the Good Old Summertime," even though MGM considered this a minor musical. I thought they did a rather good job of turning a drama into a musical comedy. There is a number from this movie that Judy Garland really shines in. I can't remember exactly what it's called, but she sings it with a barbershop quartet. It's a fun number.

Terrence.

Actually, the best version of this tale is the broadway show-version entitled SHE LOVES ME. The score is all original written by the men that wrote fiddler on the roof (although, she loves me is a bit better). I have heard that a film version was planned with Julie Andrews in the lead role (who was supposed to be in the male lead? any one know?) back in the 1960s. Unfortunately, Julie had a couple of films that didn't fare well by the late 1960s. Hollywood, being stupid as usual, forgot about the fact she won an oscar for Mary Poppins and then broke all records with Sound of Music, and they shelved whole project. What a shame; it was to be filed on location in Vienna and the score was absolute perfect for Julie's voice.

Although I never got to see the original Broadway production of SHE LOVES ME, over the years I've seen three productions by rep companies and tours. I just love that show. I still listen to the original cast album which luckily is on CD.

I was just in a production of She Loves Me. It's been a favorite show of mine for years, after seeing 2 different productions of it, that friends were in. I was thrilled to finally be able to perform in it. I played Ilona Ritter.

I love Judy and Van in In The Good Old Summertime, but my favorite film version is The Shop Around the Corner.

Sandy K