Sign in to follow this  
Bambi17

Jerry Lewis

29 posts in this topic

I highly recommend the Jerry Lewis movies directed by Frank Tashlin. They had a wonderful collaboration on such films as "Rock A Bye Baby," "It's Only Money," "Who's Minding the Store?" and "The Disorderly Orderly." Maybe you can find VHS tapes of these on Ebay.

I always thought The Bellboy (1960 I think) in B/W, was one of Jerry Lewis' best. It was a departure from his usual screen character mainly because, as the bellboy, he never spoke a word in the film. However, if I remember correctly, there was a scene where Jerry Lewis the celebrity showed up and spoke some lines. He played a dual role briefly, for that one scene. But all the comedy was sight gags and they are funny.

I'm so glad others like "Cinderfella". I never get tired of watching it and Mr. Ed Wynn was terrific as the fairy godfather. Do both of you burst out laughing when Cinderella wants to jump on Fella? Jerry amazes me all the time in the dance segment going down the stairs so swiftly.

Just watched HOOK, LINE AND SINKER- very funny, kitschy, what wild and crazy wallpaper and Jerry's hair combing sequence should be put in a time capsule and sent into space- beautiful, wonderful Jerry!

And a belated Happy Birthday to Mr. Lewis,(humanitarian, actor, singer, dancer, director, producer) who said in his autobiography- Jerry Lewis In Person- "The laugh. It's carried me around the globe to places where millions of people are starving for laughter. Where a pratfall or a silly joke is all that it takes to make them forget that their bellies are empty..." and that actually answered a question I've had about the longevity of comedians. Jerry Lewis is a hero to many and on my shortlist with another very wise person, Janusz Korczak, who wrote the Children's Bill of Rights. Thanks TCM for a day with Jerry Lewis!

The Total Film-Maker.

This actually got me thinking as to which Jerry Lewis films you just plain don't see any more. I frankly can't even recall anybody even playing any of these seemly forgotten films of Jerry Lewis

Which way to the front? 1970
Hardly Working 1980
Smorgasbord AKA Cracking Up 1983

Rented Money from Home from Netfilx. I haven't seen it in ages. I loved it and so did the family! Jerry was sooooo funny and we cracked up many times.

I love the " Errand Boy". Not really much to the movie, but some of his funniest bits. The scene
where he gets caught in the rehearsal for the 20's musical is hillarious. My youngest son cracks
up at the part where the little puppet goes spastic trying to make his bed.

I am a huge Jerry fan! I have his dvd collection "The Ultimate Jerry Collection!" If you dont know what I am talking about, it is a 5 disc collection with two movies each in 5 plastic folders. The movies are..

Delicate Delinquent, The Bellboy, Cinderfella, The Ladies Man, The Errand Boy, Nutty Professor, The Patsy, Disorderly Orderly, The Family Jewels and The Stooge w/ Dean.

They have special features with lost scenes, bloopers, original teasers, screen tests, and a few of them have commentary where Jerry watches them with singer, Steve Lawrence. It is interesting to hear Jerry criticize himself in certain places.

My favorite has to be The Patsy. When the different scenes are shown back to back where he is training to become a star, I about fall over laughing! Also, the scene on Teenage Dancetime where he lipsyncs "I Lost My Heart At A Drive-In Movie" is flat out belly busting!

I have never really liked the Martin-Lewis movies only because I dont like the "younger" Jerry. I hated the way he pursed his lips and got real whiny. He hit his stride when he went solo and could do his own films.

By the way, I actually have "Cracking Up" on VHS. LOL!

It is my understanding that he wasn't playing against type as he really was off camera.

i.e. that he could be a task master. Of course he had total control over his movies, set designed and create some great new camera techniques. Much of that might not of happened unless he tool that much control.

Anyhow, I love the movie King of Comedy.

Though I'm two years late, I'll respond to the original post. I think NUTTY PROFESSOR is Jerry's most sophisticated film, along with the unique and clever THE FAMILY JEWELS.

In the long run, I prefer THE BELL BOY and the similar THE ERRAND BOY. They're wacky, visual collages, more than linear stories. What do you expect from this lunatic?

The flat out funniest are the Martin team ups. I, also, like JUMPING JACKS, THE STOOGE, THE CADDY. The boys simply do their night club act and it's hilarious.

The comedian's best work? Like another poster, I admire the post-Martin, pre-auteur phase. Working with directors like Tashlin and Norman Taurog, he did some creative, but grounded silliness like THE DELICATE DELINQUENT, DON'T GIVE UP THE SHIP and VISITOR FROM A SMALL PLANET.

It's those movies that best showcase Lewis' talent as a performer, if not a "Complete Filmmaker."

I just suggested a Jerry Lewis Marathon or a weekly like Tarzan has been. I've always enjoyed his movies so much and haven't seen most of them in a dogs age. Many are not even on DVD and the ones that are are pretty expensive.

Another idea would be to have Jerry as Star of the Month....one night could be Martin & Lewis films, another Frank Tashlin films....and, of course- a night of his self directed films....the mind boggles at the possibilities!

Interesting you should say that hes playing against type...since many believe he is actually playing himself in that film and in his Buddy Love character....or at least one aspect of his personality. Still, he is a major talent regardless and its a shame more film fans and critics dont take him more seriously

Jerry Lewis is an American comedian, actor, singer, film producer, screenwriter and film director. He is known for his slapstick humor in film, television, stage and radio.
And i think the best of Jerry's films are not that bad. In particular, his early films like The Bellboy, The Errand Boy, and The Nutty Professor are really very funny films, no less funny (and no less stupid) than the Three Stooges or any other slapstick comedy of the 1950s or 1960s. I think it was the later films, where he tried to inject a lot of pathos into them, were when they got a little bogged down. From about Family Jewels on (after 1965), I think his films lost something; I think his penchant for trying to play five or six characters and direct was a little much.
[url=http://www.britishwholesales.co.uk/hand-towels/]Cheap Hand Towels[/url] | [url=http://www.britishwholesales.co.uk/tea-towels/]Tea Towels UK[/url]