laffite

Re Favorite BBC Productions, Plays, TV, etc...

244 posts in this topic

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> >you just want to watch and giggle at him. am i right?

>

> I thought we were going to watch and giggle at you.

Actually, so did I... ;)

*hey johnny!*

Hey Scotcherin!

*she doesnt just make any guy fall for her, she knew she had the right guy when she kissed a total stranger. heehee!*

That's really knowin' somethin' to know that. But can she cook?

*well i have WMP 9, im actually talking about this with frankie too. which one do you have? i wont change mine, i promise, although i wouldnt know how if it hit me upside the head anyway. heehee!*

I have WMP 11, and I believe that's the most current. Oh, good, you won't change it. But in case it does hit you upside the head, do you think you should wear a helmet?

*helen will be in 5 upcoming films, and 1 or 2 of thm will be released this year hopefully.....im awaiting her in the upcoming The Last station where she plays Leo Tolstoy's wife, playing opposite Christopher Plummer...they are talking about another possible oscar nod for it. yay!*

Thanks for the report. Wow, 5 films! No rest for helen. The latest I've seen is The Queen. She was great but only had to use about 10% of her acting skills, IMO. She had this part nailed down with her demeanor alone---practically.

*rum makes you do a really silly dance to your favorite songs from mozart silly, we wouldnt want that now would we? heehee!*

Absolutely not? Are you kidding. Dancing to my favorite songs from mozart? Absolutely ridiculous! I should really dance to my favorite songs from Schubert. Yes, Schubert...I mean, really, Mozart...sheesh!

*say hello and admit you like your rum in front of the whole class now......its for your own good swasheroo!*

"Hello, my name is Swasheroo Johnny Lafitte Laffite, of the Rolling Main, and I am a Rumaholic."

"Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii , Johnnnnneeeeeeeee!!!!!"

"I'm only here because I got my rum stolen by a certain Butterscotcherin, who's been studyin' Babbie and learnin' all o' her sneaky secrets."

"Hooorraaaaay for Butterscotcherin!!!!."

"Good grief."

:(

*thanks, im better. gee, ill make surely i use a hanky when i sneeze...golly! heehee!*

Oh good. I can take my gas mask off now.

*i have to take more screencaps, im not done yet, i just didnt have time the other day*

Will you make a screencap where you put my rum. That way I can go find it. :D

L

//

*Butterscotcherin*: rum makes you do a really silly dance to your favorite songs from mozart silly, we wouldn't want that now would we? heehee!

*Favellina*: Yes. Yes, we would. :)

*Fatally Feminine*: I will second that! ;)

*Butterscotcherin*: wait, you just want to watch and giggle at him. am i right?

*Favellina*: I certainly do! That would be the most entertaining thing that has happened all week! :)

Okay, girls, (not you greer), if you want Laffite Laffite, the Dancing Pirate, to do is patented Mozartiana jitterbug you?re going to have to find a way to persuade our little Scotcherin Fatale here to fess up the whereabouts of the vintage Jamaican rummy she purloined so that Johnny Laffite can have his fill??cause the buc will ne?er do the Mozart jig till the rum is gracing his eager pirate palate.

;)

*Dancing to my favorite songs from mozart? Absolutely ridiculous! I should really dance to my favorite songs from Schubert. Yes, Schubert...I mean, really, Mozart...sheesh!*

"Sheesh!" That may be the shortest critique I've ever heard of W.A. Mozart. My "sheesh" always went to modern composers like Schoenberg. (Schubert was the better songwriter.) Mozart may have been too busy writing everything else. (We'll pick this up over in the Off Topic - Music sometime.)

> {quote:title=laffite wrote:}{quote}

> Okay, girls, (not you greer), if you want Laffite Laffite, the Dancing Pirate, to do is patented Mozartiana jitterbug youre going to have to find a way to persuade our little Scotcherin Fatale here to fess up the whereabouts of the vintage Jamaican rummy she purloined so that Johnny Laffite can have his fillcause the buc will neer do the Mozart jig till the rum is gracing his eager pirate palate.

>

> ;)

We will be as persuasive as possible, laffite. ;)

*"Sheesh!" That may be the shortest critique I've ever heard of W.A. Mozart. My "sheesh" always went to modern composers like Schoenberg. (Schubert was the better songwriter.) Mozart may have been too busy writing everything else. (We'll pick this up over in the Off Topic - Music sometime.)*

Hi Movieman

I don't like Schoenberg either, in fact, he is the composer I like least in all the world. But I like some of his contemporaries who wrote in that same mode, the 12-tone scale, for instance. I don't know too much about "modern music," per se, but my ears are receptive to a lot of it, but not Sch. And I like a great deal of 20c music.

As you undoubtedly know, Schubert is known for his songs (among other things) and Mozart was indeed "doing something else." He was writing his operas (as well as a plethora of other things), which contain some of the greatest "songs" ever written. Splitting hairs over these two is difficult because they are both among the best of the best.

No actual or earnest comparison of Schubert and Mozart was intended by me by those remarks I made. I was just being silly...in keeping with some of the rest of the banter.

I remember some of our exchanges over on the music thread. That was sometime ago and I really enjoyed them. And please feel free to comment further right here, if you wish. There are no hard and fast rules for posting on this thread.

//

Lafitte:

I knew you were being silly as I know you know a thing or two about music. Save for Copland and a very few others my love of classical music didn't run much later than Rachmaninoff and a the occasional Shostokovich.

Ladies:

No "sheesh" allowed for Chopin or Beethoven. There is way too much too admire about both, especially Ludwig.

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> Lafitte:

>

> I knew you were being silly as I know you know a thing or two about music. Save for Copland and a very few others my love of classical music didn't run much later than Rachmaninoff and a the occasional Shostokovich.

>

> Ladies:

>

> No "sheesh" allowed for Chopin or Beethoven. There is way too much too admire about both, especially Ludwig.

No sheesh intended! I love Chopin. Beethoven on the other hand, I have never warmed to much. Rachmaninoff, ahhhhh. I guess I must be a romantic, I like music with lots of emotion. Although I guess Beethoven has that too.....

For "romanticism" than you go directly to Brahms and Tchalikovsky. They have written two of the most emotional pieces I know. Brahms' First Piano Concerto and Pete has his 6th Symphony.

I'll drop you a note in the Off Topic music thread.

im back everyone, but only for a little bit, my daddy is working on the internet connection at home, b/c he is working on some sort of project at work dealing with the internet, so we dont have internet for a few days. im at school right now, i cant even get my email right now, and no screencaps, oddly enough....i tried yesterdaytaking some more from The Little Minister, and then from The Invincible Mr. Disareli, but it wouldnt let me take the screencaps at all, im guessing you have to have internet to at least make the screencaping working, but it will let me play the movie on WMP, but its not letting me take the caps yet. so if im not here for a few more days this is why.

i miss everyone to much!

*im back everyone, but only for a little bit,*

Well, please hurry. We might need someone to pick on.

;) Just kidding.

.*..so if im not here for a few more days this is why.*

Thank you for stopping by and letting us know what's going on.

Meantime, we're waitin' fer ya.

:)

L

//

I thought we were going to watch and giggle at you.

CHRIS! and to think....i was rootin' for you! heehee!

I certainly do! That would be the most entertaining thing that has happened all week!

you tell 'em wendy!

Well, please hurry. We might need someone to pick on.

hey, i saw that!

Just kidding.

okey dokey, i forgive you! but this doesnt mean im showing you where i hid the rum

poor laffite, i hid the rum

poor laffite, the pain in his tum

he cant find the place,

for the look on his face

'tis pity his lack of finding

okay that was really silly, but i wrote it in like two minutes, give me some time! heehee!

> Has anyone seen the new movie version of BRIDESHEAD REVISITED? It came out on DVD about a month ago and is a BBC coproduction.

Haven't seen that one yet, but the reviews were pretty bad from what I remember. It seems many compared it unfavorably to the earlier TV version.

*okey dokey, i forgive you! but this doesnt mean im showing you where i hid the rum*

*poor laffite, i hid the rum*

*poor laffite, the pain in his tum*

*he cant find the place,*

*for the look on his face*

*'tis pity his lack of finding*

*okay that was really silly, but i wrote it in like two minutes, give me some time! heehee!*

Hey, that?s not bad for two minutes. Now how many minutes will it take you to find the rum and to bring it hence. If it be in earnest ?a pity his lack of finding,? then why wouldst thou, Our Perpetual Princess of Purloin, withhold it thus. I would imbibe most hardily, most hardily, I say, if our aforesaid Princess would declare the whereabouts of said libation. That way I can go get it and drink it. :D

pirateflag4-1.jpg

Pirates of yore hoisted the goold ole JollyR to scare their adversaries into immediate surrender. This means you have be really skeered and go find my rum. Get it? Are you skeered?

Jean (on the spot) Laffite

//

Hey, that?s not bad for two minutes. Now how many minutes will it take you to find the rum and to bring it hence. If it be in earnest ?a pity his lack of finding,? then why wouldst thou, Our Perpetual Princess of Purloin, withhold it thus. I would imbibe most hardily, most hardily, I say, if our aforesaid Princess would declare the whereabouts of said libation. That way I can go get it and drink it.

how many minutes will it take me to find the rum? let me think, is 10 years a suitable time range? heehee! you need that special compass Captain Jack Sparrow has that points you to whatever you most desire....thats what he did! he found his rum that way. heehee!

"nobody move! i dropped me brain!"~Jack Sparrow

see thats what will come of you drinking your rum!

*Pirates of yore hoisted the goold ole JollyR to scare their adversaries into immediate surrender.* *This means you have be really skeered and go find my rum. Get it? Are you skeered?*

not the slightest! i know thy too well, to outdo thoust opponent. heehee! besides didnt you see errol? he hoisted his opponents colors to trick them into being friendly, then when his crew got close enough he hoisted his own colors and attacked!!!!!

it could happen.;)

The quality of the 1984 version *Brideshead Revisited* was superb. The dialogue was essentially the book--verbatim. I had read the book during my high scools days, then bought the book when the series came on PBS....I read the related chapters after each episode & found it quite remarkable that they could produce that quality of show.

Brideshead along with I Claudius and Upstairs Downstairs remain amon my favorite TV viewing experiences.

*how many minutes will it take me to find the rum? let me think, is 10 years a suitable time range?*

I was hoping for a little sooner. Why don't we say, uh...10 minutes. Hey, that's a good idea...10 minutes, wow, what a good idea that is! Gosh, I'm so smart. Yeah, that works for me...so what do you think, is 10 minutes good?

*you need that special compass Captain Jack Sparrow has that points you to whatever you most desire..*

I emailed the Captain to see if I could borrow it and he said it was stolen. They suspect a certain greergoil in the area, the peripatetic, peregrinating, Princess of Purloin who perpetually pilfers paraphernalia from pirates. These greergoils are particularly adept at stealing rum and hiding it. Say, you're not a greergoil...are you?

*"nobody move! i dropped me brain!"~Jack Sparrow...see thats what will come of you drinking your rum!*

Nooooo, that's what will come of me if I _don't_ drink my rum. And it will be all your fault.

*i know thy too well, to outdo thoust opponent. heehee! besides didnt you see errol? he hoisted his opponents colors to trick them into being friendly, then when his crew got close enough he hoisted his own colors and attacked!!!!!*

Aw, come on, that's the oldest gag in the book. No pirate would fall for that one...even if he dropped his brain. Which, of course, he wouldn't if he had some rum to drink. :D

Yeah, 10 minutes is good. Yeah, that'll work.

:)

L

//

You have great taste, KennethS!

Did you have a favorite character from any of those 3 shows? Just curious.....