Sign in to follow this  
Guest son, jery

Over-Rated Movies

129 posts in this topic

Guest son, jery

I'm trying to put on my 'dancin' shoes' while i turn on "Can't Stop the Music." One of my faves! Bruce Jenner was never lovelier. The Village People proved why they weren't star material. But--everytime I watch this one it just brings back that Pepsi Generation feeling--of 'winged' hcoiffures, bell-bottoms and real color in make-up. I wanna go back to my dancin' shoes because I jus' love the nightlife!

Guest G, Mark

You are so right about Bette Davis. The greatest actress who ever drew a breath, and I dont think I ever heard her say a positive thing about any of her performances, in any of her books, or any books written about her. She needs to be sitting where Im sitting. I thought she was magic....

Guest G, Mark

"Singing In The Rain", as entertaining as it is, is truly taken too seriously by film critics and historians. Its a great way to while away an afternoon, and tap your foot to some of the music, and maybe try a few moves, but its supposed relevence to the period examined is too light-hearted at best. I mean, yes, actors did lose their jobs due to the sound of their voices on the early recording equipment, and the means available then to compensate were crude, but thats a pretty frail concept to hang an entire film on, even a musical, which are not known for their excessive reliance on plots. It works best as pure escapist fare, no doubt what it was meant to be, but it has taken on an other-worldly reputation that the film cant support. Having said that, I think Gene Kelly was a doll!!

Guest G, Mark

Maybe its me, but I have always found " Casablanca"to be such a "standard" 1940's film, in every way. There isnt a lifelike response, or inflection from any of the actors involved, that isnt telegraphed to the audience 10 minutes before it happens. And, even on its first viewing, it has no suspense, no real surprises, no sense of anything happening, except a bunch of rather low-life characters trying to avoid the knife that the last guy is trying to plunge in their backs. It wasnt compelling enough in any way to warrant the attention it has received, Oscar notwithstanding. I can think of dozens of films from the 1940's that had, and still have, more attraction today as entertainment, art, social commentary, etc, than " Casablanca".

Guest Zooty

No Mark it's not just you! CASABLANCA is your standard 40's film that is hyped, and re-hyped through the years. Legend has it that the script had to be rewritten numerous times. Everyday the actors would come to the set, and not know the motive of their characters. This situation had to be very bad for everyone concerned self-esteem. I know Im going to be "flogged" but I never feel the great romantic chemistry between Bogart & Bergman either. Sometimes Bergman seemed confused and Bogart seemed distracted. CASABLANCA is truly overrated...but I still love ya Ingrid & Claude!

Guest bbb, anna

Zooty, I agree completely! I will tell you some actors that are overratted: Bogart, Sinatra, Joan Crawford to name a few. I cringe when I realize a month of nonstop torture airing these people. I always have to avoid the channel during that month, watch A&E, and hope for better choices soon. However, on the flip side, I enjoy Katharine Hepburn, Spencer Tracy, Audrey Hepburn, Cary Grant, James Stewart, Mitchum, Gregory Peck. Gary Cooper and Betty Davis were pretty good.

Guest Lyndsey

I agree with both of you...except about the Joan Crawford thing. I LOVE her! Well, pre-Mommie Dearest days, of course. I'm a big fan of her flapper/early '30's shopgirl period. She was reeeeally creepy looking after 1950!

Guest Zooty

Lyndsey & Anna I agree... I am a big Joan Crawford, but I also love Bette Davis, Robert Mitchum & of course Cary!

Guest Dimeo, Nick

As of writing this post it is late October so needless to say I have watched Frankenstein (1932) over and over, and Young Frankenstein over and over and I just don't see the appeal of either of these two movies. I love Karloff as the beast but find the other actors to be annoying. I find Mel Brooks too be a bit overrated. I only walked out of a movie theater once in my life and that was the dreadful Traffic! I can't believe all the critics got worked up about that one, it was totally awful!

Guest mongo

Gee Nick it's too bad you can't see the merit in "Frankenstein" since it is the definitive monster movie although it needed a music score and creaks a bit of old age. "The Bride of Frankenstein" is a better movie and poked fun at itself with some humor. And speaking of humor "Young Frankenstein" just cracks me up. It's an outrageous parody of the monster movies and especially good is Gene Wilder, Marty Feldman and Madeline Kahn ("Ohhhh sweet mystery of life at last I found youuuu"). Just hilarious.

Guest Dimeo, Nick

You hit the nail on the head Mongo, Frankenstein certainly would of benefited from having a musical score! I also find Colin Clive (I think that's his name) to be a bit bland in the title part. I would of liked to have seen somebody like Paul Muni in the part.

Guest Azzam, Josie

Thank god, someone agrees! And even put it in a more understandable way of explaining my feelings for Casablanca. *applaudes Mark*

Guest son, jery

Nick, speaking of "Frankenstein," I think you should definitely try the greatest Frankenstein of them all, "Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman." It's got great music, photography, plot, monsters galore and the shimmering beauty of Illona Massey who replaced Evelyn Ankers who had originally been cast--as she usually was as the Queen of Horrors back then. Evelyn was carrying a baby.

Guest MarkG

Some thoughts on some of the previous messages..."Grease" was dumb and sophomoric, but also very entertaining in spite of itself...I honestly cant think of a Woody Allen film that I have seen that I didnt enjoy. "Bullets Over Broadway" was fabulous, I could watch "Annie Hall" and " Crimes and Misdemeanors" over and over again; I even liked "Everybody Says I Love You"...."Chariots of Fire" was such a moving film to me...I love Claude Rains and Ingrid Bergman too, but I dont need to see "Casablanca" again to enjoy them. They both made oodles of other films I can enjoy their talents in...."Network" was ridiculous, and sublime, all at the same time!!...I could yak about films till I take my last breath, and never tire of it!!!!!!!!

Guest K., James

Close Encountersof the Third Kind put me to sleep.

Guest Duffy, Mike

Yeah, that "hill of beans" line was pretty lame.

I THINK COLIN CLIVE WAS GREAT AS DR.FRANKENSTEIN. HE IS HANDSOME AS WELL AS TALENTED. MUNI WOULD HAVE BEEN JUST AS GOOD, BUT I HAVE A THING FOR COLIN CLIVE.

"Chicago" was very overated, or at least that is my opinion. I really was looking forward to watching it, but was unable to see it in the theater, so my husband bought the dvd the very first day it came out. The song and dance numbers were fantastic, but I did not like the story. Everyone said that it was a better movie than "Moulin Rouge," but I did not think so. "Chicage" seemed to be shot better though. Whatching "Moulin Rouge" sometimes reminds me of our home video where my husband was spinning around with the camera, and we all got dizzy just watching the video.

wholeheartedly agree with the Citizen Kane bashing

I find it funny to see all of Hollywood gawking over it when asked their favorites. But I have to disagree on a lot of other choices. Movies made in the 40's or before

should be given a lot of slack. Movies were still in their infancy and if you open your eyes to that films like Withering Heights and King Kong will be much more appreciated. I can hardly watch movies of today that are more likely to be made on computer than having any reality

what-so-ever.

And am I the only person who wasn't a big fan of Marlon Brando and James Dean?? Cool dudes but horrible actors!!

> I can hardly watch movies of today

> that are more likely to be made on computer than

> having any reality

> what-so-ever.

That's one reason I am NOT a big "Lord Of The Rings" fan. I'm sure they're real exciting for special effects addicts and people who are into fantasy stories. The story isn't bad. But I can't deal with all those phony computer graphics. Eventually I'm like "Please"... Sometimes they go so overboard with computer graphics, that even the most ancient effects look more real than that. I think even "King Kong" (1933) is more easy to believe than "Lord Of the Rings." LOTR just overdid them.

> And am I the only person who wasn't a big fan of

> of Marlon Brando and James Dean?? Cool dudes but

> horrible actors!!

Not a Brando fan at all. Don't like his acting, don't think he's cute... nothin'. ;) I can handle James Dean (especially since I think he was cute, hehe), but I think there's a lot of hype there, too. He wasn't a bad actor, but he wasn't great, either.

I just watched "The Rules of the Game (1939)", a French film recently shown on TCM, which is considered by many critics to be one of the top films of all time. Ironically, at the time it was first released it was so poorly received that Renoir edited it and it was still banned for a month in France (probably because it makes fun of their aristocracy).

In the words of "Men on Film" ... hated it;-)