Sign in to follow this  
movielover11

Vic Morrow Discussion

17 posts in this topic

Vic Morrow would have turned 80 years old on Feb. 14th....a Valentine's Day baby.....

There are some websites that say he was born in 1929 and others say 1932. Most of them say he was born in 1929.

Anyway, he was one of my favorite actors and I thought I'd make a thread in honor of him and his 80th birthday.

I wish TCM would have shown a few of his films on Feb. 14th......

Which are your favorite films of his? Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

There is a photo of Vic Morrow posted on the "Candids" thread. I just saw it.

It really is ashame that Vic Morrow never really reached his potential, at least that's what I thought. He was kinda typecast as the "bad guy" in most films I ever saw him in. I used to watch Combat with my dad, cause he loved that show back in the 1960's. Morrow was real good looking with that swagger in that Combat t.v. show.

I remember seeing the film Blackboard Jungle and I also loved Glenn Ford in that film and Sidney Poitier.

I'm always amazed at how much his daugher Jennifer Jason Leigh resembles him.

Nice thread, but nobody has replied. Most people probably don't know who Vic Morrow is or are not familiar with his films.

It would be nice if TCM played a few of his films, but they only one they usually show is Blackboard Jungle.

Anyway, happy posthumous 80th birthday to this great actor. May he rest in peace.

I think most people on these boards know who Vic Morrow was. "Combat" was one of my favorite shows as a kid. I still have some trading cards from that series. Morrow did much more work on television than in films, so we can't expect to see many of his films on TCM. In several of his performances, he came across as a nasty, violent person, although I've heard that in real life he was a very nice man. It would have been interesting to see how his career would have developed had he not gone into television so quickly.

Nice post. I thought Combat was one of the best shows too. I bought a DVD of that show and it hold up very well over 35 years.

Funny you should mention about Morrow being a nice guy in real life, I saw an interview with him from back in the 1960's and indeed, he was quiet, well-mannered, humble and very down-to-earth. The complete opposite of some of the characters he played on film. But in Combat, he was actually the "good guy". He was talking about how interested in directing and photography/camera work he was. He actually did the camera work for several Combat episodes and was way ahead of his time with some of the angles he used.

He made several films, but he wasn't the "lead" in any of them though. I know he did lots of work on television.

I liked Morrow. I thought he was quite some actor.

Hollywood lost one amazing talent on the day of the horrible, tragic accident took VM's life. I've enjoyed him in several movies; he made a strong impression in "Blackboard Jungle" and I also remember him in "Cimarron".

I think Cimarron starred Glenn Ford - it was a re-pairing of Morrow and Ford as they starred together years earlier in Blackboard Jungle.

I would love to see a film called Portrait of a Mobster, this film is never shown and is not out on DVD. Has anyone ever seen it?

Victor, I looked at your thread. This was very tragic. I had seen the video long ago and couldn't view it again. I believe these children were hired illegally and were working at 2:00 a.m. in the morning. Dangerous working conditions. Very sad story indeed.

GREAT PICTURE! Many may not know this about Vic Morrow & she seems to keep it a secret? the talented & risk taking actress>Jennifer Jason-Leigh-(l962-) is his daughter!

& I've always thought Ralph Meeker-(vice-versa) Morrow looked like he coulda' been his younger brother Though Meeker was quite a bit larger & to my knowledge they were never related

However am POSITIVE on her being his daughter though

Thanks Metsfan for that wonderful photo of Vic Morrow - he was good-looking in that Combat t.v. series, wasn't he?

Myidolspencer - yes, Jennifer Jason Leigh is Vic Morrow's daughter and she bears a striking resemblence to him - eyes and mouth/lips are the same. Perhaps someone can post photos of them side by side.

She and her dad were said to have had a falling out shortly before he passed away....that is the story I have read.....such a shame. Her birth name was Jennifer Leigh Morrow....and it was written that she ditched the Morrow name and took "Jason" as her middle name from family friend Jason Robards.....I believe this would have upset Vic Morrow...but nobody really knows the true story....only various articles that had been written.

I also thought Meeker looked exactly like Morrow....but I think that the young James Cagney and Vic Morrow look even more alike....can someone post photos of a young Cagney and Morrow?

I'm a very big fan of Vic Morrow and I too wish TCM had played a couple of his films on his b-day. It's sad how underrated he is as an actor. It's really too bad. It's also too bad he never won an Emmy for his performance in *Combat!*. Incredible. He was phenomenal in that show. It's my favorite TV show actually. Anyway, happy belated birthday to Vic; I'll always be a big fan.

Mike - that sculpture is wonderful! Great work!

It looks just like Vic Morrow - very lifelike.

I think you should create a separate thread devoted to your work so eveyone will take a look at it.

I agree Topsey...I think he was a TERRIFIC actor - and COMBAT is my favorite show as well.

I hope TCM can play a few more of his lesser-known films someday....they seem to only play Blackboard Jungle on a consistent basis...but if you look at his biography of films he made, there are many more they can show.