126 posts in this topic

My short list:

Ball of Fire

My Man Godfrey

It Happened One Night

Roman Holiday

The Awful Truth

Bringing Up Baby

It's pretty hard to beat Cary Grant when it comes to romantic comedy though....

Yes. He was adorable. Utterly charming and elegant, yet with stunningly perfect comedic timing.

All I have to do to bring a smile to my face is to picture Cary Grant walking into that bathroom when he doesn't believe there is a leopard in there in Bringing Up Baby.

Perfect comedic timing.

Brilliant.

It's awfully hard to choose, there are so many good ones. My current favorite is Cluny Brown, but I have also long loved Bringing Up Baby.

I suppose Bringing Up Baby fits more comfortably in the genre though, Cluny Brown being a somewhat more complex story than can be summed up as a romantic comedy.

Oh, and someone mentioned Tovarich, which reminded me how much I love that movie as well. So those are my three.

Edited by: Loocha on Dec 7, 2009 11:35 PM

Bringing Up Baby

His Girl Friday

The Awful Truth

The Lady Eve

The Miracle of Morgan's Creek

and, until Jean Arthur's nerve-wracking crying scene at the end

The More the Merrier

Now, I love Cary Grant...but It Happened One Night makes me go "awe" every single time and I fall in love with it over and over. Not only that but its so funny, Clark Gable is amazing in that film.

*[steve Hayes video review of HIS GIRL FRIDAY|http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkTPkhzRs_Y]*

*HIS GIRL FRIDAY* (1940)

Sparks fly as Rosalind Russell and Cary Grant spar over a lead story and a romantic reunion amidst the background of a big city newsroom. Howard Hawks fills the screen with one of the greatest supporting casts of comedic character actors ever assembled and directs them at breakneck speed. Fast, furious and hilarious from start to finish.

The Year's Wildest, Wittiest Whirlwind of a Love Battle... Outrageously Racy... Sparkling... Gay!

I generally gravitate to the genre of romantic comedy, and one of my favorites is, obviously, *The* *Major and The Minor*. I hope TCM's romantic comedy fans had a chance to see this gem when it was recently aired. :)