texanna

best romantic comedy ever?

126 posts in this topic

I am a huge Audrey Hepburn fan, so I'd say Breakfast at Tiffany's, Funny Face, Roman Holiday, or Sabrina. But for a non-Audrey one I'd have to say Bringing Up Baby. It's a wonderful movie. I'm sure all of you movie buffs have seen it already though :) Cary Grant's romantic comedies are great.

Here's AFI's opinion:

1 City Lights 1931

2 Annie Hall 1977

3 It Happened One Night 1934

4 Roman Holiday 1953

5 The Philadelphia Story 1940

6 When Harry Met Sally... 1989

7 Adam's Rib 1949

8 Moonstruck 1987

9 Harold and Maude 1971

10 Sleepless in Seattle 1993

Damn, I forgot to mention Annie Hall and It Happened One Night. Also, Some Like it Hot is a romantic comedy which the AFI omitted for some reason. And what about CASABLANCA?????

Now I'm confused as to what counts as a romantic comedy. The AFI has no clue I think.

While those are all probably better films, I'd still have to go with Breakfast at Tiffany's as my favorite.

I guess that's why I hate classifying movies into genres, because not everything fits in neatly.

I think Casablanca is romantic, and I think it's funny as hell, with the clever one-liners being thrown in all around the movie. So based on that, it should be a romantic comedy.

Or is the fact that it's also considered a good drama holding it back from receiving that title of romantic comedy?

I guess that's why I hate classifying movies into genres, because not everything fits in neatly.

I think Casablanca is romantic, and I think it's funny as hell, with the clever one-liners being thrown in all around the movie. So based on that, it should be a romantic comedy.

Or is the fact that it's also considered a good drama holding it back from receiving that title of romantic comedy?

It is a good point to bring up - I would say a lot of noirs do indeed have very clever one-liners and stuff that sometimes cracks you up while you're watching it. Yet the overall tone of such movies is usually so dark and cynical that the little bits of humor (usually dark humor) merely serve to lighten up the mood every now and then, rather than make the whole movie an overall funny experience.

I get what you guys are saying, but Casablanca is a film that makes me laugh throghout, and seems to be that way with many people. It generates a lot more laughs than a film like Double Indemnity, which is very clever, but not funny.

I guess I may be reading too much into it, which is why I have a problem with genres in the first place.

Casablanca does indeed have many funny moments but some, like the scene with Rain and the gambling are the line about the 'waters' are borderline camp. i.e. something one would expect from a screwball comedy. Of course the overall plot of the movie is dark (hey it is about Nazis!).

Many feel that this is what makes Casablanca so balanced, but I wouldn't define it as a romantic comedy, but I wouldn't define it as a drama either. Casablanca is unique in this regard and that may well be one of the reasons it is one of the most loved movies of all time.

My favorite romantic comedy would be Its Love I'm After with Davis, Howard, and De Havilland, but of course all those Grant Hepburn movies are tops as well as many of the Hepburn Tracy ones.

I just took a class on Romantic Comedies...here's my list

1.) Harold & Maude (1971)- Hal Ashby

2.) The Philadelphia Story (1940)- George Cukor

3.) It Happened One Night (1934)- Frank Capra

4.) Rushmore (1998)- Wes Anderson

5.) The Lady Eve (1941)- Preston Sturges

6.) City Lights (1931)- Charles Chaplin

7.) Bringing Up Baby (1938)- Howard Hawks

8.) Annie Hall (1977)- Woody Allen

9.) The Thin Man (1934)- W.S. Van Dyke

10.) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2003)- Michel Gondry

Well I would rate Holiday and My Man Godfrey as 2 of the top 5 or so best romantic comedies.

I would rate It's Love I'm After with Leslie Howard, Bette Davis and Olivia DeHavilland before Bringing Up Baby but 'baby' would still be high on my list.

James--Recently saw *Woman Of the Year* for the first time--

Gotta say--it may be the most Romantic comedy I've ever seen.

I just sorry to say it took me so long to view it. It's quite unique.

A couple of people have mentioned recent films, so I'm going to throw in "Return To Me", directed by Bonnie Hunt and starring David Ducohvny and Minnie Driver, about a man who unknowingly falls in love with the recipient of his deceased wife's heart. It has an extended-family milieu that's really believable and fun. Another contemporary favorite is "Two Weeks Notice", with Hugh Grant and Sandra Bullock, which stands up well next to many of the Golden Age classics. It features a socially-conscious woman vs. an entitled, self-involved blockhead, a classic formula. Grant and Bullock are at the top of their game and, again, the supporting cast helps greatly.

Women of the Year is a great movie and Tracy and Hepburn both sparkle in it. Of course it could be because Hepburn was really in love (Tracy I'm not so sure about!).