texanna

best romantic comedy ever?

127 posts in this topic

James Stewart wasn't in "Three Comrades", that did have Robert Young, also Robert Taylor and Franchot Tone. Yes, it was sad at the end with both Margaret Sullavan and Robert Young dying.

I agree, James Stewart and Margaret Sullavan had good chemistry. Stewart actually had strong feelings for her offscreen, but she ended up marrying his best friend, Henry Fonda. James Stewart and Margaret Sullavan also starred in "The Mortal Storm" and "Shopworn Angel". Very good films.

Mr. Peabody andn the Mermaid

One Touch of Venus

Tootsie

are among my favorites rom-coms. Many of those previously mentioned I would not consider comedies.

Libeled Lady hands down. William Powell is hilarious in this fun loving farce. Also starring Jean Harlow, Spencer Tracy & Myrna Loy. I implore everyone to watch this movie, what a gem!

Edited by: holmarkid on Feb 25, 2011 3:52 PM

Here is our Composite Ranking of the Best Romantic Comedies based on all the members rankings:

1. When Harry met Sally

2. High Fidelity

3. Bringing up Baby

4. Pretty Woman

5. Roxanne

6. Annie Hall

7. It Happened One Night

8. My Big Fat Greek Wedding

9. Happy Accidents

10 (500) Days of Summer

1. Bringing up Baby

2. Topper

3. Philadelphia Story

4. Some Like It Hot

5. Arsenic and Old Lace

6. Harvey

7. Bell Book and Candle

8. I Married A Witch

9 .Genevieve

10,Gentle men Perfer Blonds

The Awful Truth

The Palm Beach Story

The Lady Eve

My Favorite Wife

Philadelphia Story

Holiday

Love in the Afternoon

People Will Talk

Love Actually

Murphy's Romance

Does Cary Grant figure too heavily on this list? -- 5 films out of 10.

*Ball of Fire*

(gotta admit, Coop won my heart on this one although he was a perfect stranger to me before. I only had my eyes fixed on Bogart, Grant, Peck and Taylor. Missing out on Coop is missing out on everything)

Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

Sabrina

Roman Holiday

Holiday

The Lady Eve

His Girl Friday

I love the scene where she is talking about Plumbing and the Butler and Head Maid over hear Jennifer Jones saying " It just makes you want to roll your hose down your legs and crawl under the sink and Go Bang Bang Bang (as she sighs)". LOL TOO FUNNY.

I think someone has a thing for Cary Grant!

I don't think one can have too many Grant movies in a top ten list of romantic comedies. In fact you are missing Bringing Up Baby.

I would have added My Man Godfrey and It's Love I'm After (great movie with Leslie Howard, Bette Davis and Olivia DeHavilland that TCM showed in late May 2011), but we have many favorites in common.

I love It Happened One Night. It is one of my favorites because it looks like Gable and Colbert were having so much fun.

One of the best romantic comedies is on TCM on Monday, Oct 17th at 12:30 pm est, *The Strawberry Blonde*. A terrific cast including James Cagney, Olivia DeHavilland, Rita Hayworth, and a bunch of top Warners character actors. If you've never seen it, its a must see.

Yes, The Strawberry Blond is a great movie. I have an original Olivia promo still from the movie. Olivia really showed she had comic timing. This was another movie that help me determine what type of women I would be attactive to.

I had a girlfriend that was like the Rita character. After seeing this movie I realized that if one is going to be married that Rita type of character was NOT a good mate. Just because your friends might feel you are luckly in reality living with that type would be a nightmare. Thus I dump her and started looking for my Olivia.

I wouldn't mind striking out with someone like Rita, I should be so lucky. :) ---- Anyone out there just see *The Strawberry Blonde* ? Like to hear comments.

I guess I like the Rom-coms that are heavy on the Com, light on the Rom; Preston Sturges did the best with the storylines, Miracle of Morgan's Creek, The Lady Eve, and Palm Beach Story. I just love Tovarich but that is far more comedy than romance..

My choice for best would be however, The Shop Around the Corner.

Edited by: casablancalover on Jan 17, 2012 1:08 AM

With regards to The Shop Around the Corner, isn't that more heavy on Rom than Com?

For example, compare it to Bringing Up Baby. That leans way more towards Com than Rom (of course some might say it is a screwball comedy and not even a romantic comedy,, frankly I don't believe these are two separate genres but that is a topic for another day!).

Shop is very sweet and light comedy and a great movie, but still to me more Rom than Com.

h4. Let's Call the Whole Thing Off

Agreed, James, That is why I used the however .. Lubitsch gives us the charming word play that prevents it from being too romantic. I think it equal parts. Lubitsch touch.

Bringing Up Baby I call screwball, for I really cannot attach the romance with our leads. The dog and the leopard keep getting in the way.

Po-tat-o / Po-ta-toe..

Sabrina, if I can call it a Romantic Comedy. :) . Bogart, Holden, Audrey and Williams just set that one on a different level acting wise IMO.

{font:Calibri}*The Solid Gold Cadillac*

{font}

{font:Times New Roman}These are charming mature people who prove love can come at any age. Judy Holliday and Paul Douglas had great chemistry on screen and if the plot went over the top at times-don’t most RCs- you kept on watching and rooting for them to make it. One enjoyable romp! {font}