texanna

best romantic comedy ever?

130 posts in this topic

I enjoyed this one too. At first I wanted ot see it because George Burns was involved even though he did the narration. (I was realtively new to movies.) But Judy Holliday was quite a discovery at the time. I liked the fact that they were fairly normal people. Douglas looks like anybody, not particlulary handsome so it was nice to watch him in a romantic lead.

Nice to think one person could make a corporate difference as well.

Well you have a somewhat strange definition of romance! :)

As for The Apartment; as you note it is difficult to label this movie as a romantic comedy. While it does have both romance and comedy, it also has a dark side. So I just call it a Wilder movie (and a great one as well).

Roman Holiday is also a first rate movie, but of course a romantic comedy without a romantic ending. (duty trumping romance like in Casablanca).

What's your next favorite romantic comedy, Now Voyager!

@JamesJazzGuitar- I certainly do. I don't consider The Apartment a romantic comedy either, but it technically fits the bill. I'm not an enormous fan of the romantic comedy genre in general, so it does make sense that my favorite would have a different sort of ending. :) Shop Around the Corner is probably my second favorite Rom-Com behind Roman Holiday, so there's a happy ending.

One of my favourite romcoms are Annie Hall and Breakfast at Tiffany's. i also like a Russian film about a romance over mobile phones, it's called Piter FM with some stunning sights of Saint Peterburgh. I'm a big fan of French romcoms such as Amelie and Potiche. being a romcom writer I dream one day to make my own film based on a book of mine.

As with most genres I follow IMDB descriptions. They have Sabrina and My Man Godfrey as Comedy - Romance. Those would be 1 & 2 for me. Though I may not consider Sabrina a romantic - comedy. Just my opinion of course. I could see My Man Godfrey as a romantic-comedy however.

Rom-Com is a tricky genre. Done right, it can be a cute, fun, happy story that serves as a nice little escape from real life and makes you feel good afterward. However, there are many rom-coms done horribly, horribly wrong and you feel like you lost 100 IQ points just by subjecting yourself to it (Okay, maybe a slight exaggeration, but not too far off).

I find that a lot of my favorite "rom-coms" are guilty pleasures and may make a positive impact on me, but may drive the next person insane. Everyone's "Best of," "Greatest list of," lists are all subjective.

My favorites, in no particular order:

Clueless

10 Things I Hate About You

It Happened One Night

40 Year Old Virgin

Groundhog Day

Bringing Up Baby

The Philadelphia Story

The Princess Bride

The Wedding Singer

Roman Holiday

Four's a Crowd

Sabrina

Roman Holiday

How to Marry a Millionaire

Love Crazy

(I'm sure I could come up with more; but it's late and my brain is fried). It seems that the definition of "rom-com" is very loose with websites claiming everything from "Casablanca" to "American Pie" qualifies as a rom com. There's lots of "rom" in "Casablanca" but it's sparse on the "com."

Why am I not surprised you listed Four's a Crowd. I like this film also. Olivia is an airhead but she was so young and cute at this stage. But Flynn and Russell make the movie.

Lol. "Four's a Crowd" was a very entertaining movie. I actually find Olivia De Havilland slightly annoying in the film. Especially when she's laughing at Errol Flynn after he crawls out from underneath her bed and she starts laughing when this throaty sound. She's okay in other parts; but it's strange to see her acting kind of ditzy in this film when she had just appeared in "The Adventures of Robin Hood" acting regal and so ladylike.

Patric Knowles is my least favorite character in this film. He's so obnoxious, I don't see what either woman sees in him. The "**** ****" call that he does to Olivia De Havilland is so ridiculous.

I agree that this film belongs to Rosalind Russell and Flynn. They make a great pair. Too bad this is their only film together.

My favorite part I think is when Errol is trying to talk to both Russell and De Havilland on the phone at the same time, making sure that the dates he makes with both don't conflict with one another.

I also like when Errol calls up Olivia saying "Wake up slug! It's your wedding day."

I absolutely love classic romantic comedies. I think the dialogue in those days was usually very witty and well, excellent. I can't choose just one. But I've always loved Sabrina. And I'm not sure why people aren't considering it a romantic comedy? I know the comedy is light, but I wouldn't know what else to call it. It's a romance. And there's definitely comedy there, thanks to Billy Wilder's excellent screenplay.

My favorite romantic comedies?

Sabrina

The Awful Truth

It Happened One Night

...and many others!!!

I enjoy "Sabrina" as well. In fact, tomorrow evening, I'm going to our local theater (an old theater from 1926 that's been restored) to see it.

Her costumes were beautiful. Although the dress she wears when she is invited to the Larrabee's party (the white dress with the big ballgown skirt and with the narrow straight skirt), I wish they would have picked one style or skirt or another. It is a beautiful dress though, Audrey looks regal. No wonder the men are enchanted by her.

My favorite part I think is, well of course the end, but aside from that, I love the scene where William Holden sits on the champagne glasses and Humphrey Bogart takes his place at the tennis court. I also love their dad. He's hilarious.

I think "Sabrina" is one of Billy Wilder's best films. I know Audrey Hepburn is most closely identified with "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and while I enjoy that film (with the exception of Mickey Rooney), I enjoy "Sabrina" just a little bit more. It's a shame that the real-life relationship between Audrey and Holden didn't work out, they made a good couple!

A long while back (one of the first posts on this thread) , I chose *My Man Godfrey* . William Powell is my favorite actor and I just adore Carole Lombard in this ( so glad that Mr Powell was insistent that his ex wife get the part).

I love My Man Godfrey, so that would be my choice.

But I have a very special love for "Double Wedding." It is so funny and sweet, and Powell and Loy are opposites attract to the extreme. It is just so silly and a fun movie. Certainly not the greatest film ever made, but so cute. 

I love My Man Godfrey, so that would be my choice.

But I have a very special love for "Double Wedding." It is so funny and sweet, and Powell and Loy are opposites attract to the extreme. It is just so silly and a fun movie. Certainly not the greatest film ever made, but so cute. 

My Man Godfrey would be my choice as well,  with Holiday second.   

It Happened One Night (1934)

Roman Holiday (1953)

Sabrina (1954)

I don’t recall seeing My Man Godfrey – I am a sheltered child, I guess – so I can’t really put that one in the running.

1. The Apartment

2. Breakfast at Tiffany's

3. The Seven Year Itch

4. Cactus Flower

5. Barefoot in the Park

6. Some Like It Hot

7. When Harry Met Sally...

8. Ninotchka

9. His Girl Friday

10. Sabrina

I'd have to say Arthur (1981) hands down I just love that movie. The more times I see it, the more I like it. What are your thoughts, Hobson?

It Happened One Night (1934)

Roman Holiday (1953)

Sabrina (1954)

I don’t recall seeing My Man Godfrey – I am a sheltered child, I guess – so I can’t really put that one in the running.

Good list. Hopefully you've had a chance to see MY MAN GODFREY since 2014.

Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks did some good movies together, for example, Sleepless in Seattle (1993). And, although I usually cannot stand modern remakes of movies, their romantic comedy, You've got Mail (1998) was an enjoyable film!

• Like 1

A lot of great titles here. One I enjoy that I have not seen listed is Blake Edwards' 10 (1979). A lot of people only remember it for Bo Derek running in slow motion on the beach, but overall the movie has a lot of depth. Just look at the 3 minute scene of Dudley Moore playing a Henry Mancini piano piece in one long take... gets me every time...

• Like 1