Sign in to follow this  
NormanOFKokomo

Aircraft: Zepellins and Dirigibles

5 posts in this topic

*Is there interest in talking about lighter-than-air aircraft.* I am devoured by films like Hindenberg and Dirigible. Though a failed commercial technology, lighter-than-air is historic and a rare adventure into unfulfilled scientific tech. We seem to be imune to disbelieving the future as a nation. I was born in 1932 and can just remember the thrill -and drone- of a dirigible over Long Island headed toward Roosevelt Field.

it's a good topic, but it is hard for me to think of many movies that had zeppelins in them. right off the top of my head, i can only think of recent movies like 'indiana jones and the last crusade', 'sky captain and the world of tomorrw' and 'the golden compass'. i've heard of 'dirigible' but havent had a chance to see it yet.

How about the Howard Hughes' film, Hells Angels? Or the James Cagney/ Pat O Brien film Here Comes the Navy?

There is a dirigible in The Rocketeer, a more recent adventure movie, which also features Timothy Dalton as an Errol Flynn-type actor/Nazi spy. But let's not start another rumor about Flynn.

Then there are plenty of films with human blimps, like Laird Cregar and Sidney Greenstreet.

Other than 'Dirigible' and 'Here Comes the Navy' you often would see the 'Los Angeles' or later the 'Akron' or 'Macon' in almost ANY film from the mid to late '30s that had the navy as the service of choice.

More recently, other than 'Hindenberg' there was a British WW1 war movie called 'Zeppelin'.