Sign in to follow this  
CaveGirl

Unlikely Sex Objects

109 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, Polly of the Pre-Codes said:

Now I've known for some time that I like my beefcake with a nice amount of marbling (the current "dad bod" thing is this kitten's catnip). But one night I found myself crushing on Roscoe Arbuckle.

I love Roscoe Arbuckle! He was so funny & that's what I loved about him. Add in Buster Keaton & Harold Lloyd. They make me laugh & that (to me) is sexy. I also love William Powell. He wasn't drop-dead handsome like Errol Flynn (my dream husband) or Tyrone Power, but he had his own class, grace, & style that made him super sexy, in my opinion anyway.

• Like 2

Though he's never really been a hot-looking stud even when he was younger, I have to say that there was still something about Jack Nicholson that made him irresistible to the ladies (both onscreen and off). 

I say he had a combination of the toughness of Humphrey Bogart and James Cagney plus a lot of Cary Grant-like charisma.

• Like 1

I've always thought Deborah Kerr was sexy. And the more she adopted that

prim, ladylike, I wouldn't even think of such things manner, the sexier she was.

She may not have been sending, but I was receiving. Beep beep, beep beep, yeah.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I thought Miriam Cooper in Birth of a Nation was hot.

images-of-miriam-cooper.jpg

I think she looks a bit like Jenny Agutter in that photo. 

20 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I've always thought Deborah Kerr was sexy. And the more she adopted that

prim, ladylike, I wouldn't even think of such things manner, the sexier she was.

She may not have been sending, but I was receiving. Beep beep, beep beep, yeah.

Agree completely and have long thought it. The sex appeal is there but just below the surface. It's what you don't immediately see that is exciting, but it is there, and most palpably so! What is particularly interesting about her is when she speaks in that quivering voice usually due to some upset or something, or even when she is merely saying something with some emotion in it, i.e, then a little edge is taken off her controlled exterior revealing a glimpse (perhaps) this other side of her.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dargo said:

Geeeeeze, I KNEW I'd get a whole lot of crap for admitting to this June Allyson thing!!!

(...I hope you folks know that somewhere out there DGF is probably smilin' a big ol' smile right about now)

;)

Sounds like you need some support, Dargo. Will it earn me eternal pervert status to say I found Allyson for once in her career actually kinda sexy in Too Young to Kiss in which she's pretending to be 14 and subsequently messing with Van Johnson's mind? Note that I said PRETENDING! Don't judge me too harshly, TCM Message Boards faithful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laffite said:

Agree completely and have long thought it. The sex appeal is there but just below the surface. It's what you don't immediately see that is exciting, but it is there, and most palpably so! What is particularly interesting about her is when she speaks in that quivering voice usually due to some upset or something, or even when she is merely saying something with some emotion in it, i.e, then a little edge is taken off her controlled exterior revealing a glimpse (perhaps) this other side of her.

And sometimes she can't quite keep it below the surface and it gets out, even if briefly and

apologetically. Then she has to quickly reel it in again. I didn't mean it in that way. Right,

sweetie. Of course her attractiveness makes the whole thing possible. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dargo said:

Okay, so how about June Allyson?

I guess she was always considered by most of America back in the day as being "cute", but frankly and until recently she never did a thing for me.

Yep, THAT'S right, I said "until recently" here, and because I have to admit each time I happen to catch her in a movie she did before around 1950 and before she started sportin' that godawful little haircut of hers, I find myself a little more attracted to her each and every time.

(...sorry DownGoesFrazier, wherever you are...I remember how much you despised her);)

LOL 

When I was a mere child I saw her in You Can't Run Away With It  (1956) and liked her. This doesn't seem to be a highly regarded movie these days and it's possible it may be more or less "forgotten." They probably needed vehicles for Jack Lemmon and JA and they thought a remake of It Happened  One Night was the answer. During the cross-country trek on a bus June falls asleep and wakes up to discover that Jack is gone. She thinks she has been abandoned and freaks, frantically running around looking for him. There he is and in her state of mind she runs full speed right into his arms all tears. This is the first physical contact of any kind they had and this turns the plot. I was moved by this frenetic little scene and felt very sorry for her. I saw this when it was released and was very young although I don't remember having one of those puppy crushes or anything.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, laffite said:

Not for me she looks like a librarian.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Vacuum cleaner attachments. 

Seriously, Vautrin...this was so dang funny I can't stop laughing!

15 hours ago, Dargo said:

Okay, so how about June Allyson?

I guess she was always considered by most of America back in the day as being "cute", but frankly and until recently she never did a thing for me.

Yep, THAT'S right, I said "until recently" here, and because I have to admit each time I happen to catch her in a movie she did before around 1950 and before she started sportin' that godawful little haircut of hers, I find myself a little more attracted to her each and every time.

(...sorry DownGoesFrazier, wherever you are...I remember how much you despised her);)

LOL 

That hairdo! That awfully cute hairdo!

Who needs Syrup of Ipecac when there's that hairdo to view?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, laffite said:

When I was a mere child I saw her in You Can't Run Away With It  (1956) and liked her. This doesn't seem to be a highly regarded movie these days and it's possible it may be more or less "forgotten." They probably needed vehicles for Jack Lemmon and JA and they thought a remake of It Happened  One Night was the answer. During the cross-country trek on a bus June falls asleep and wakes up to discover that Jack is gone. She thinks she has been abandoned and freaks, frantically running around looking for him. There he is and in her state of mind she runs full speed right into his arms all tears. This is the first physical contact of any kind they had and this turns the plot. I was moved by this frenetic little scene and felt very sorry for her. I saw this when it was released and was very young although I don't remember having one of those puppy crushes or anything.

I get your drift, Laffite since I still will watch that movie, but it's really because of Jack Lemmon. He's great in it, even if he plays it way differently than Gable. I remember that scene well, and overall the film is okay, but mostly due to Jack's talents. The only Allyson films I can really watch are her very early ones, before she became so sacchariney. In those she is actually rather likable. For some reason, June's cutesy style seems to irritate a lot of people so I don't feel singularly mean spirited in saying it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Not for me she looks like a librarian.

Well, Marian wasn't bad.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Betty White. :lol:

dc4fda1ee845e2e419886eaccdeb6b84--betty-

Please don't next post nude photos of the Golden Girls, particularly Sophia!

Also, no nude photos of Dorothy's ex, Stan either...

16 hours ago, DawnM74 said:

I love Roscoe Arbuckle! He was so funny & that's what I loved about him. Add in Buster Keaton & Harold Lloyd. They make me laugh & that (to me) is sexy. I also love William Powell. He wasn't drop-dead handsome like Errol Flynn (my dream husband) or Tyrone Power, but he had his own class, grace, & style that made him super sexy, in my opinion anyway.

I find Buster Keaton very appealing too. And William Powell's sophistication makes him a natural. 

I'll have to think about Roscoe a bit longer though...haha! Thanks, Dawn!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Though he's never really been a hot-looking stud even when he was younger, I have to say that there was still something about Jack Nicholson that made him irresistible to the ladies (both onscreen and off). 

I say he had a combination of the toughness of Humphrey Bogart and James Cagney plus a lot of Cary Grant-like charisma.

I first thought he was attractive in that Mayberry episode, where Aunt Bee saved him from being prosecuted for some crime. Thanks, Beth!

11 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Sounds like you need some support, Dargo. Will it earn me eternal pervert status to say I found Allyson for once in her career actually kinda sexy in Too Young to Kiss in which she's pretending to be 14 and subsequently messing with Van Johnson's mind? Note that I said PRETENDING! Don't judge me too harshly, TCM Message Boards faithful.

I dunno, SE...after watching "Too Young to Kiss" I think I found Hans Conreid to be the sexiest person in the picture. I guess we will just have to disagree? June Allyson reminds me of that quote from Oscar Levant about Doris Day, when he said he couldn't watch her movies because he had diabetes. Later I think Levant also said he knew Doris before she was a virgin.  That would be v-i-r-g-i-n, just in case they zap that word.

• Haha 1

Well, for me it’s Deanna Durbin.  I think Universal was aware of it by pairing her with much older leading men.  And I also liked Priscilla Lane.  She had good chemistry with Cary Grant in Arsenic and Old Lace, and she was very good in Saboteur, a worthy addition to the legendary Hitchcock blondes.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, cinemaspeak59 said:

And I also liked Priscilla Lane.  She had good chemistry with Cary Grant in Arsenic and Old Lace, and she was very good in Saboteur, a worthy addition to the legendary Hitchcock blondes.

Agreed and agreed.

She also clicked real well with James Cagney in THE ROARING TWENTIES. She has a very lovely singing voice as well as a very charming presence that she adds in the movie, and the other films she has appeared in.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Dargo said:

Geeeeeze, I KNEW I'd get a whole lot of crap for admitting to this June Allyson thing!!!

(...I hope you folks know that somewhere out there DGF is probably smilin' a big ol' smile right about now)

;)

Dick Powell supposedly [of course according to June!] was extremely jealous of June and watched her like a hawk. But after reading these posts, methinks Dick had little to worry about with other men wanting to seduce June, and carry her off like Rudolph Valentino in "The Sheik".

Oh, I forgot about Dargo. Do you think you could beat up Dick Powell if he caught you with Juney in the boudoir, Darg?

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Dargo said:

;)

Maybe you were hypnotized by her Cobra Dance.

giphy.gif

SNAP OUT OF IT!

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, cinemaspeak59 said:

Well, for me it’s Deanna Durbin.  I think Universal was aware of it by pairing her with much older leading men.  And I also liked Priscilla Lane.  She had good chemistry with Cary Grant in Arsenic and Old Lace, and she was very good in Saboteur, a worthy addition to the legendary Hitchcock blondes.

Not following you here;  The title of this thread is unlikely sex objects;   so you're saying both Durbin and Lane fit this description? 

E.g. Durbin was an unlikely sex objects BECAUSE Universal paired her with much older men?  I.e. she wasn't sexy enough to be paired with men closer to her age?

21 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

Better to be crushing on Roscoe than Roscoe crushing on you (just ask Virginia Rappe).  😉  (Yes, I know the true story so this is a bad joke but I couldn't resist and I like some marbling, too.)

Christine, let's not even go into having a nice cold bottle of Coke with Roscoe for refreshment purposes...otay, as Porky would say on the Our Gang comedies.

• Haha 2