Sign in to follow this  
CaveGirl

Unlikely Sex Objects

109 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Christine, let's not even go into having a nice cold bottle of Coke with Roscoe for refreshment purposes...otay, as Porky would say on the Our Gang comedies.

That's as funny as a ruptured bladder....I'd reach through the interwebs and slap you, but...shoot, someone else understands where's I'm coming from.

• Haha 1

Okay, I think I have another one here.

Now, most of you probably best remember the actress Ann Doran as James Dean's bitter and insufferable mother in Rebel Without a Cause (1955), but whenever I see her in many of the minor roles she did during the 1930s and 1940s, I've always thought she was a very attractive woman.

SEE?!...

tumblr_lozyggJo3d1qgvv6oo1_500.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Not following you here;  The title of this thread is unlikely sex objects;   so you're saying both Durbin and Lane fit this description? 

E.g. Durbin was an unlikely sex objects BECAUSE Universal paired her with much older men?  I.e. she wasn't sexy enough to be paired with men closer to her age?

Although Durbin had a girl-next-door image, Universal recognized her erotic appeal, hence pairing her with more mature men, in effect trying to have it both ways.  This is true as she got older. For example, in His Butler’s Sister (1943), her leading man was Franchot Tone. Compared to say Rita Hayworth or Lana Turner, Durbin was an unlikely sex symbol.  

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 5:27 PM, cigarjoe said:

Shelley Winters, never saw her as a sex object in any film. 

She actually turns my stomach.

I'd always bet her *** stinks.

6 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Margaret Dumont

Image result for margaret dumont photos

"Well, that covers a lot of ground. Say, you cover a lot of ground yourself!"

(...and ya know Jim, I gotta admit while watching a Bros film, I sometimes think "Large Marge" is a fine hunk of woman myself) ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Dargo said:

Okay, I think I have another one here.

Now, most of you probably best remember the actress Ann Doran as James Dean's bitter and insufferable mother in Rebel Without a Cause (1955), but whenever I see her in many of the minor roles she did during the 1930s and 1940s, I've always thought she was a very attractive woman.

SEE?!...

tumblr_lozyggJo3d1qgvv6oo1_500.jpg

Wow,  Ann had one big, small, career:   Doran appeared in more than five hundred motion pictures and one thousand episodes of television series.

I'm surprised she wasn't featured in the film 27 Dresses.    (ok,  she was dead when that was made but you get the point).

• Like 2

I've had a big time crush on Basil Rathbone since I was about 12.  While Sherlock Holmes is supposed to be asexual (and in some later adaptations, there is even an implication that the relationship with Watson is not entirely "straight"), that's not the vibe he gives off.  In one film, The Woman in Green, he describes the female suspect as having "lustrous eyes," and the way he pronounces that word gives you the impression that there's a man of the world hidden behind the exterior of this allegedly celibate bachelor.  Oh, and there's definite chemistry with Ida Lupino in The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.  

Fred Astaire was written up by RKO and MGM as having no sex appeal (i.e., Ginger gives him sex, he gives her class), and I have to admit he's not much to look at, but his dancing, charm, and way with a song always melt me.  There's no better rendition of Cole Porter's "All of You"  -- "I love the look of you, the lure of you, I'd love to take a tour of you."  I feel that he got sexier has he got older  -- there's a worldliness and experience about him.  Plus his flair for color and cut in wardrobe really shows in the technicolor movies.  In the 1950s, he did some small jazz ensemble recordings with Oscar Peterson of some of the songs he was best known for; I have a CD of that session, very spontaneous, heartfelt, and intimate, as if he's in the room with you.  That light, almost conversational singing voice that caresses every lyric made him a favorite of America's greatest composers -- Porter, Berlin, Gershwin, and Kern.  I think that the reason that God made him a bit homely was to keep humans humble -- otherwise, he'd be perfection.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Margaret Dumont

Image result for margaret dumont photos

For those into hairless dogs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, darkblue said:

She actually turns my stomach.

I'd always bet her *** stinks.

Why would you care if you are Going Your Own Way (TM) ?

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

Why would you care if you are Going Your Own Way (TM) ?

He probably means that she would not be a good candidate for fantasy when he is ******.

30 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

007-liv-ullmann-theredlist.jpg

I've always thought Liv Ullmann was very pretty. 

But would she generally be considered a sex symbol or an attractive woman? If you think not, then the choice would seem to be what the thread is asking. Personally, I see her as attractive. It is the "ugly ducklings" or the plain janes who nevertheless exude an appeal to someone on a personal level that are of more interest. Anyone got a crush on Marjorie Maine?

3 minutes ago, laffite said:

He probably means that she would not be a good candidate for fantasy when he is ******.

But would she generally be considered a sex symbol or an attractive woman? If you think not, then the choice would seem to be what the thread is asking. Personally, I see her as attractive. It is the "ugly ducklings" or the plain janes who nevertheless exude an appeal to someone on a personal level that are of more interest. Anyone got a crush on Marjorie Maine?

Her roles were never as "sex symbols" so that's why I thought of her. I don't recall her ever playing a "sexy" character.

15 minutes ago, laffite said:

No, but have ever seen Velma Vermont, laffite? Now THERE'S ya a rather plain woman who just OOZED sex appeal somehow! 

(...in other words, there's no 'e' in Marjorie's last name, and unlike that northeastern state...sorry, just couldn't resist)  ;)

13 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Madeline Kahn was actually very glamorous, I thought. 

And, Miss Kahn was also funny as hell too, CI. And, which added to her sex appeal.

(...see?!...it isn't just the ladies who find "questionably" looking male stars sexier because they can make 'em laugh...some of us men find this same sort'a thing about certain female stars adding to their appeal too)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Her roles were never as "sex symbols" so that's why I thought of her. I don't recall her ever playing a "sexy" character.

I did use "sex symbol" but I added any "attractive woman" this latter term which would be within the framework of "sex object" , the designation in the thread title. I am not a sex maniac, but any woman who is "pretty" has potential for sex object status even if she has never played a "sexy" character. The personal idea I seem to have on this thread is where a lady who does not score high in good looks or good personality still attracts someone, against all odds, say. When I first saw this thread, I thought of this tendency I have at admiring certain ladies in movies that others probably would not or at least not particularly. For instance, Lana Turner's girlfriend in Johnny Eager (forgive me for not looking her up) who is not ugly but completely overshadowed by Lana, and has an appropriately subordinate role in the movie (in other words, she is no big deal) and yet I had a sort of sweet attraction towards her, increased by a couple of pejorative personality traits that generally tend to annoy. Wasn't she excessively chatty and wasn't her behaviour (hey, dargo) a little goofy. Anyway, whatever little quirks she may have had only served to endear her more to me.

Gershwin, I'm not criticizing your post. Perfectly legit, thread titles are (or mostly) are interpretive to a certain degree and I may have veered of the trail with mine ... but whatever spin I'm talking about seems to make it more interesting to me. Thanks.

7 minutes ago, laffite said:

I did use "sex symbol" but I added any "attractive woman" this latter term which would be within the framework of "sex object" , the designation in the thread title. I am not a sex maniac, but any woman who is "pretty" has potential for sex objective status even if she has never played a "sexy" character. The personal idea I seem to have on this thread is where a lady who does not score high in good looks or good personality still attracts someone, against all odds, say. When I first saw this thread, I thought of this tendency I have at admiring certain ladies in movies that others probably would not or at least not particularly. For instance, Lana Turner's girlfriend in Johnny Eager (forgive me for not looking her up) who is not ugly but completely overshadowed by Lana, and has an appropriately subordinate role in the movie (in other words, she is no big deal) and yet I had a sort of sweet attraction towards her, increased by a couple of pejorative personality traits that generally tend to annoy. Wasn't she excessively chatty and wasn't her behaviour (hey, dargo) a little goofy. Anyway, whatever little quirks she may have had only served to endear her more to me.

Gershwin, I'm not criticizing your post. Perfectly legit, thread titles are (or mostly) are interpretive to a certain degree and I may have veered of the trail with mine ... but whatever spin I'm talking about seems to make it more interesting to me. Thanks.

Your post here laffite about Lana Turner's friend in Johnny Eager...perhaps you're speaking of actress Diana Lewis here?...MV5BNjU2MGJlZmQtYmY3OC00NDYyLWE0Y2YtZWY2

...is reminding me of a similar kind of thing back when the sitcom WKRP in Cincinnati was first run.

It seemed everybody thought Loni Anderson was supposed to be "the sexy one", but it was always Jan Smithers who I couldn't keep my eyes off of whenever I watched that program.

(...and I know I wasn't alone in this)

• Like 1

These are 2 of my favorite guys and I simply cannot help myself.

Lon Chaney Jr and Broderick Crawford--

BTW-- They were Studio buddies who destroyed more than their Fair share of dressing rooms with a little boyish fisticuffs. LOL

10-4

• Like 1

Liv Ullman was very attractive, but she usually didn't have an overt sex appeal.

Guess he left that to the Andersson girls, Harriet and Bibi (no relation).

18 minutes ago, Dargo said:

...Lana Turner's friend in Johnny Eager...

Oh, it must be. She looks much more together than she did in JE, it seems to me. I see she was married to William Powell. I seem to remember reading once that she was associated (not necessarily sexually) or perhaps just had a close relationship with one of the suits of the film and at the time of the shooting. I have a couple of screen shots of her from that film that was done from TV with a conventional camera, since I was not "digitized" at the time. I would post one but since the demise of PhotoBucket I have yet to find a image posting sight that I can understand. I thought I had Imgur figured out once but when I returned some time later (recently) I couldn't get anywhere. All this stuff about posting photos here is actually a plea for help if anyone is inclined to feel they could.

This is slightly off topic (but would certainly qualify as a spin-off) but I had a feeling response to Alison Langdon (Julie Harris in Reflections  in a Golden Eye.) I say feeling because there was nothing sexual about it. This is a quixotic reaction and maybe a little embarrassing but the feeling was that I would have like to have a cup of coffee with her, and just talk. Yeah, I know; weird or just too funny. She was nervous and perhaps even a bit morbid (if I remember correctly) but she had an essentially quiet manner and sensitive outlook, and quite fragile as well. Julie's general persona is conducive to this type of role but she doesn't always radiate that. Her appeal for me is the type represented by the portrayal, not her story. I haven't seen The Belle of Amherst but when I do (and I must, now) I am certain I will develop the yearning to have a cup of coffee with Emily as well :lol:.

Another top lady for me is somewhat in the vein of Alison Langdon (Julie) but a bit more, is Edith Cortwright. But with Edith no mere cup of coffee would do. I would want her forever :lol:. (Edith, not M)

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

Your post here laffite about Lana Turner's friend in Johnny Eager...perhaps you're speaking of actress Diana Lewis here?...MV5BNjU2MGJlZmQtYmY3OC00NDYyLWE0Y2YtZWY2

...is reminding me of a similar kind of thing back when the sitcom WKRP in Cincinnati was first run.

It seemed everybody thought Loni Anderson was supposed to be "the sexy one", but it was always Jan Smithers who I couldn't keep my eyes off of whenever I watched that program.

(...and I know I wasn't alone in this)

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly ...

2 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Madeline Kahn was actually very glamorous, I thought. 

Boy, I just watched Blazing Saddles for the zillionth time last night. It's free right now if you have an Amazon Prime membership. And she's sexy as heck in that movie! It's twue, it's twue ...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly ...

LOL

Yep, that was one of the funniest episodes of WKRP alright, sewhite.

(...poor ol' Les Nessman)