Sign in to follow this  
lulu2u

First movie you can remember seeing in a theater

55 posts in this topic

Hi lulu, welcome to the boards. Although my parents told me that it wasn't the first movie they took me to, the first one I remember seeing was a rerelease of *THE WIZARD OF OZ* around 1950 or 1951. It was shown in a big old movie palace and I remember we had to sit way up in the second balcony because the place was so crowded.

Hi everyone, I saw my first movie in Jacksonville Fla. on the naval air station, my dad was in the Navy, we were stationed there, 1941 , I was seven at the time, The best thing I ever did as an adult was follow the yellow brick road, pull back the curtain and realize, the wizard didn't give any of us anything as the song goes, "that we didn't already have" I have to admit it took me quite a few years to catch on , the meaning is cleverly disguised don't you think ? Great Movie !!!!

My parents took my sister and me to a drive-in to see *Yours, Mine, and Ours* --- my sister was a toddler, so that would have been the initial release in 1968, so I was five. I still watch this movie every single time it comes on television.

The first "in theatre" movies would have been either *Bambi* or *Old Yeller* -- like most everyone here, it seems kids in the 60's were automatically shuttled to whatever Disney released or rereleased, as it was "safe."

I grew up in Georgia, and in the 60's classic movies that were seen as Southern-friendly were often reissued, giving me the chance to see *Gone with the Wind, Song of the South* and others on the big screen in the pre-nostalgia days.

After much begging, my parents took my older brother and me to see Gremlins. I remember laughing rather loudly at the antics of the gremlins, and screaming "NO!" and crying towards the end when Gizmo was flung into the department store wall trying to expose Stripe to the daylight (I thought Gizmo was hurt, and it freaked me out). My family was mortified at my vocal involvement throughout the movie, and it was years before my mom and dad would take me to the movies again. My brother still chides me about it, as he was forced to take me after that until I was deemed old enough to go by myself. We never told my parents that he made me sit on the side of the theater opposite him to prevent any possibility of embarrassing him with my outbursts.

The very earliest I vaguely remembered is "101 Dalmations". As far as a "real life" feature I can't remember the title but it was a very eerie sea scifi movie that involved Sargassum seaweed, an octopus type creature and the plot was in the 19th century. It was shown in the mid 1960's. Does anyone know the title? It appeared the crew ventured into an unexplored region in the middle of the ocean and got stuck.

No I would have remembered that classic from all the reruns. This movie involve mostly the surface only. The ship was a run of the mill wooden sailing ship.

It was sort of a "Twilight Zone" type movie, a little hard to explain. I was a kid and remember the strange atmospheric mood to the plot as if they sailed into a different diminsion. The ocean was the calmest of calm and the ship couldn't get out of this stagnent part of the sea which was covered with Sargassum type of seaweed and algae.

Message was edited by: hamradio

The first drive-in movie I can remember was the original Night Of The Living Dead and we had to leave because I was sooo scared and crying hysterically (obviously I was very young). As far as the theatre I think it was The Sound of Music although I'm not sure.

Sleeping Beauty back in the late 1950s but not much of it. I was 4 years old probably. I just remember the lights and the way the theatre was decked ot regal and castle like for the movie.

The first non animated movie I remember was Absent Minded Professor and I'm not alone. That was a big move into non animated comedy for Disney. The Flubber shoes and car were just great for me at 5 or 6.

Still remember my dad taking my mom and brother to see The Music Man and sitting in the balcony. I was around 6. The Victory Theatre in Dayton has those opera seats and such and it was a great place to see this movie and the balcony ended up perfect, even though I'm sure we were up there because of the line around the block to see this movie. To this day, I don''t think TV does this movie it's justice. On the BIG screen, it looks like the actors are on stage and the way they switch stage lighting and such....TV can't duplicate it.

My first date and kiss at a movie was The Thief That Came to Dinner. I had a job as a Junior in high school and I got a cab for me and her. I didn't care what the movie was. Funny, I can remember the name of the movie but not the name of the girl. It was a nice night and a LONG time ago. I do remember she wore perfume and I remember the usher shining his light on us. No kissing during the movie aloud, even in the last row. ...Oh well, you've got to be young once.

First movie in a theater I remember seeing was The Long Goodbye. Funny thing, I was 12 years old at the time, way too young to get into an R movie alone, but the theater folks just didn't seem to care. My brother was with me, but he was only 14 and he went to see another film in the theater.

I envy you who remember so clearly. We saw a Tarzan film when I was so little it all looked huge. Not just the screen, everything! I was taken to Steve Reeves' HERCULES, not knowing it was a movie. I thought we would see a really old strong man! In the late fifties there was DARBY O'GILL AND THE LITTLE BOY WHO GETS SCARED OUT OF HIS********MIND. I'm still in therapy over that! And a Lone Ranger thing in which a guy gets his butt burned by a camp fire. There were probably Disney films even before this. But right around 1958 is where my memory begins. Before that, what I really cared about was ice cream. Come to think of it...

A fascinating topic.

One of 2 Movies I remember seeing was, "House on Haunted Hill" with Vincent Price.

It was in the late '50's and I was about 4 or 5 years old. . . .

My older female cousins had taken me along to the "Star and Garter" Theatre

on Madison Street in Chicago. . . That theatre has long since been torn down,

but I remember that most scary part @ that time was that old woman with White hair !

....and also a lot of kids running back & forth to the concession stand for candy & popcorn.

And the other movie I remember seeing @ the Star & Garter was a War movie,

that Mom and Dad had taken me to. I don't remember the name of the movie,

I just remember a lot of soldiers in Combat. . . and I would act out the parts,

pretending to be shot and falling down on the sticky, carpeted aisle. . .

Ugaarte

Not to highjack the thread, but I love "the memory of your first kiss in the movies."

Mine was with a beautiful Danish exchange student I dated for several months named Hanne. (Yes, a beautiful _female_ exchange student). In the back row of the Wink Theatre in Dalton, Georgia.

During *Alien* . I know, sexy, huh?

ChelseaRialto said:

STOP! LOOK! AND LAUGH! in 1960 at the Larchmont Playhouse. The Marquis Chimps scarred me for life!!

-----------------------------------------------------------

I think a lot of people could have said scarred or scared!

As I wrote once in a review of that movie, when the Marquis Chimps come on, all the viewer can do is stop and look (no laughs!)

> During Alien . I know, sexy, huh?

Aren't scary movies the best for those kinds of moments? ;)

It would probably be weirder if someone did that during a Disney movie :P

I listed my theatrical movies earlier and I like to add television along with a question. My *earliest* TV shows I remembered is "Mr Lucky" and "The Hawaiian Isles" both in 1961. My question is what ever happened to "The Hawaiian Isles"? I tried Googling it and nothing came up, as if it fell off the face of the earth.

I remembered the title shot had a beach surf along with a Hawaiian style totum pole.

Okay, I'm only 19, so I'm young. Lol. My earliest movie-in-the-theaters memory is *Toy Story* (1995). Today, it's still my favorite Pixar animated film.

THANKS for that correction. I had the last word wrong for SO LONG but what would one expect from a person who was 6 years old at the last time I saw it. Got my wires crossed between Eye and Isles.

I was a little surprised that Robert Conrad starred in it. I did Google it and a ton of info came up.

This is why I like this forum so much.

Welcome to the Boards Kid Dabb!

route66, you're right --- I just can't reconcile the idea that I was so, uh, interested, when that big shock moment happened in *Alien* .

Ah, to be 17 again.

And SmilerGrogan, although my early drive-in movie memory ( *Yours, Mine, and Ours* ) happened a little later than yours, my Mom & Dad dressed us in pajamas for the drive-in as well. I hadn't remembered that.

Thanks for reminding me. It's a really precious memory.

TV ! ?

Now there are some memories; not all of them happy... some of them embarrassing now..

I was very young, but I had older brothers, so I fell in love with *77 Sunset Strip* and *Peter Gunn* and *Mr Lucky*. But watching with my parents, I only remembered they liked watching *Perry Mason*, *Gunsmoke*, and *Lawrence Welk* --I think I wanted to be a Lennon sister when I was 4 years old :-( I grew out of that one fast.

All of the shows you listed were very neat for the time period. Why would you be embarrassed?

Do you remember Hawaiian Eye and Route 66 as well?