musicalnovelty

James FitzPatrick TravelTalks shorts

238 posts in this topic

My pleasure Janie!

Thanks for posting these two "new" Traveltalks!

I just hope my DVR doesn't have one of its usual " program didn't record due to a fatal hardware" error.

Yancey

My pleasure as well, Yancey.

It looks like this week is the nirvana of "new" Traveltalks because the TCM programmers have added 

Sitka and Juneau,  "A Tale of Two Cities" (1940)   Friday, May 23 1:34 PM ET   

So thankful to TCM programmers.

It looks like this week is the nirvana of "new" Traveltalks because the TCM programmers have added 

Sitka and Juneau,  "A Tale of Two Cities" (1940)   Friday, May 23 1:34 PM ET

WOW!  It's a bonanza!

I just watched  Suva "Pride of Fiji" (1940),  Now it's become a fascinating capsule of pre-war Fiji.  FitzPatrick narrates a look at how colonization of Fiji by the White Man has helped develop the island into a civilized place.  No more Cannibals here!

It would be an interesting social project to be able to go and look at all the locations FitzPatrick filmed to see how they've changed.

Yancey

St. Helena and Its "Man of Destiny" (1936)

This 8 min Traveltalk explores the remote island where Napoleon Bonaparte spent the last 6 years of his life.  At the time potatoes and flax were their largest crops.

FitzPatrick jokingly says the only 2 reasons to visit the island are to mail a postcard so collector's could get a rare stamp and to see the house where Napoleon lived.

As always an interesting time capsule.  I wonder if FitzPatrick had any idea his films would be not only a source of entertainment and study but a lasting reminder of a time gone by.

Yancey

Folks, don't forget today's offering of Beautiful Banff and Lake Louise (1946) at 4:04pm ET. It's another rare one from Yancey's list, which just goes to show that the TCM programmers do indeed see what's posted and are truly accommodating, and all among the FitzPatrick faithful should be grateful for that.

Also coming up this week are Glimpses of Western Germany (1954), on Monday 5/26 at 9:51am ET, and Picturesque Udaipur (1939) on Tuesday 5/27 at 7:32am ET. So fire up those dvrs or vcrs or heck, maybe even watch them live!

Hi All,

While looking around on the web for stuff on James A. FitzPatrick, I ran across these goodies and wanted to let everyone in on what I found. These finds are pretty exciting for anyone who considers him/herself one of the FitzPatrick faithful, so I'll get right to it.

The first is In the South Seas, a 10-minute B&W short that FitzPatrick shot and directed for the Australian Film Board, released in 1948. Information regarding this short, which revolves around the natives of Trobriand Island (New Guinea), can be found here:

The National Library of Australia:
http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/22034554?selectedversion=NBD3154356&q&versionId=26571057

and here

The National Film and Sound Archive of Australia:
http://sa-staging.com/search-programs/program/?sn=243

As you can see from the second link, it looks like it can be purchased on DVD. I have no idea if the short gets the "FitzPatrick treatment", but I can't imagine anyone hiring him to make a film if that's not what they wanted. So if you live in Australia (or know somebody who does), feel free to get your hands on a copy of In the South Seas and let us know about it.

Potentially even more compelling is A Cavalcade of Texas, a film shot ca. 1938 (released ca. 1939). Made for the Texas World Fair Commission, it was to be included in Texas' exhibit for the 1939 New York World's Fair. Owing to the exhibit not being finished in time, the film was instead released by Interstate Theatres of Texas, and later shown at the NY World's Fair and the San Francisco Golden Gate Exposition during their 1940 seasons.

As for the film itself, other than its titles, credits and length, it's virtually indistinguishable from any FitzPatrick Traveltalk. The main difference is really its length, as A Cavalcade of Texas clocks in at a whopping 49 minutes! Naturally it covers a lot of territory, from various cities and towns, natural scenery and industrial locations, along with Texas personalities. And the most amazing thing is it's on Youtube in its entirety! You can see it (preceded by a four-minute introduction) here:

The Youtube listing also lists the towns visited and names of people featured, as well as the circumstances surrounding its production and initial screenings, as well as its discovery after 50 years of lying unknown in a Dallas archive.

This is a significant find, because there are no Traveltalks set in Texas. So A Cavalcade of Texas fills a pretty big gap in the "FitzPatrick Traveltalk" filmography.

I sent these titles to our friend and fellow shorts fan Jlewis, and he's added them to his FitzPatrick checklists:

http://fan.tcm.com/_For-FitzPatrick-Fanatics-A-quickie-A-to-L-Traveltalk-checklist/blog/3641074/66470.html

and

http://fan.tcm.com/_For-FitzPatrick-Fanatics-A-quickie-M-to-Z-Traveltalk-checklist/blog/3641081/66470.html

So I hope all you FitzPatrick Fanatics find these as exciting as I did when I ran across them, and I look forward to seeing your reviews of A Cavalcade of Texas.

mickeyfender

What I love about the United States travelogues... and the Texas one is a prime example... is that you see all of the downtown streets and vintage automobiles in full color... as if only shot recently. I feel like I am taking the scenic route through Texas in a '38 or '39 (if brand new) Ford coupe. Houston and, I think, Ft. Worth both had their holiday decorations out. You see all of the stores open for business... and you are kinda curious to see what is on sale at that time.

Great finds Mickey!!!!

Thanks so much for posting these.  They're new to me and were great to view.

On another topic, I am so disappointed.  I thought I posted two recaps of Beautiful Banff and Lake Louise (1946) and Sitka and Juneau,  "A Tale of Two Cities" (1940) but I don't see the post.  Can't imagine what I did wrong!

Sorry foiks.   I'll try and recreate them again at a later date.

Yancey

Once again I'd like to thank the TCM shorts programmers for scheduling so many Traveltalks. In addition to the recently shown and previously unseen (by me, anyway) Glimpses of Morocco and Algiers, a number of others are scheduled, including:

Around the World in California -- 5:50pm est, Sun, 6/29

Wandering Here and There -- 8:48am est, Mon, 6/30

Wandering Through Wales -- 12:17am est, Wed, 7/2

I can highly recommend all of these to anyone who hasn't seen them yet. So set your dvrs and enjoy!

Looks like the TCM shorts programmer is treating us well this upcoming week, with Glimpses of Guatemala (1946) making an appearance on Monday, Aug. 18 at 11:50am ET, and Zion: Canyon of Colour (1934) following at 5:51 the same day.

Looks like the TCM shorts programmer is treating us well this upcoming week, with Glimpses of Guatemala (1946) making an appearance on Monday, Aug. 18 at 11:50am ET, and Zion: Canyon of Colour (1934) following at 5:51 the same day.

I love these shorts when I'm lucky enough to see them  (I often filp the station between movies to see what else is on, and miss them,  so I need to follow my wife's advise and PUT DOWN THAT REMOTE!).

Funny I just saw one yesterday and I love that rather strange drawing of that women's face on the ending credits. 

Back in April, YanceyCravat posted a list of Traveltalks that he'd never seen played on TCM. Since then, TCM has shown five of the titles from that list. I thought I'd go ahead and re-post the titles from the list yet to be seen, as well as a few additions of my own:

From Yancey's list:

• Alluring Alaska (1941)
  • Colorful Guatemala (1935)
  • Glimpses of Mexico (1940)
  • Holland in Tulip Time (1934)
  • Land of the Incas (1937)
  • Land of the Quintuplets (1942)
  • Night in Mexico City (1944)

Titles that I haven't seen played on TCM (including all of Yancey's titles except Land of the Incas):

• Glimpses of Peru (1937) (this is a verified title not on either of Yancey's lists)
  • Glimpses of Washington State (1940)
  • Java Journey (1939)

So, here's hoping that the TCM shorts programmer(s) smiles upon us once again with these seldom (if ever) played Traveltalks.

Good news!!!

I inquired as to whether or not TCM had the titles in question.

I received this wonderful response from TCM's own Dennis Millay!

Yancey

-------------------------

We have all of them, except for “Night In Mexico City”, which has not been mastered to video.

Cheers,

Dennis Millay
TCM Programming

Alluring Alaska (1941) - YES
Colorful Guatemala (1935) - YES
Glimpses of Mexico (1940) - YES
Glimpses of Peru (1937) - YES
Holland in Tulip Time (1934) - YES
Land of the Incas (1937) - YES
Land of the Quintuplets (1942) - YES
Night In Mexico City (1944) - NO

--------------------------------------------------

Fantastic news!

How did you ever contact someone in the Programming Dept.? I was always under the impression that it was some super secret inner sanctum type place. In any case, great job!

Was there any indication as to whether there are plans to air any of them? Or to master Night in Mexico City to video?

Fantastic news!

How did you ever contact someone in the Programming Dept.? I was always under the impression that it was some super secret inner sanctum type place. In any case, great job!

Was there any indication as to whether there are plans to air any of them? Or to master Night in Mexico City to video?

Thanks, Mickey -

There was no indication of these titles airing soon.  One can hope my inquiry inspired an airing or two! 

Mastering Night In Mexico City will take some time.  It may need some restoration and that would take time and funds to complete.

Yancey

I believe "Night In Mexico City" (1944) is a 20 minute Warner Brothers short in which mariachis perform so this title wouldn't fall under the umbrella of TravelTalks but it does sound interesting nonetheless.

Here are a few informational tidbits regarding a few of the titles in the most current list:

Glimpses of Peru (1937) aired as an unscheduled or phantom short in July 2011. 

Land of the Incas (1937) aired as scheduled in September 2012. 

Glimpses of Mexico (1940) aired in May 2009 around the time of Cinco de Mayo. I didn't see it

but someone has told me it aired at that point in time.

Glimpses of Washington State (1940) aired as scheduled in December of 2011.

While not technically a Traveltalk, my guess is that Night in Mexico City gets the "Traveltalk treatment", much the same way A Cavalcade of Texas does. And since it's a Warners title, you know that it's in house. Hopefully someone there thinks it's worth digitizing. I'd love to see it.

I know that Land of the Incas played as recently as May 2013, because that was when I recorded it.

But look at the dates on the other titles that Janie supplied! I wonder when Java Journey last played. Time to air those again. Plus the others on mine and Yancey's lists. Doubt anyone would complain. ;)

I feel that you have misconstrued the purpose of my last post. I shan't complain at all if they air those titles I highlighted. On the contrary, I will welcome it because it means this time I get to see them in HD.

I posted the information because I wanted to provide some factual context if anyone was uncertain if these titles had ever aired. I appreciate the time I spent doing the research if no one else does.

Regarding Land of the Incas (1937), I checked my records again and looked at JLewis's blogs for May 2013 and have to say this title did not air that month. You know how thorough JLewis is so I'm certain this is factually accurate.

Cheers everyone!  :)

Not always... *chuckle chuckle*

The schedulers do like to pop in the surprises every now and then. (EGAD... I was behind this week and all kinds of goodies could have been shown today!)

Evidently, Land of the Incas (1937) aired in March 2013 as a phantom or unscheduled short. It's not in your blogs, Jlewis, and I must have missed in when it was buried at some early morning hour. But I still think you are very thorough. Thanks for all of your blog work. It is indispensable.

One last revision in regards to Land of the Incas. The last scheduled airing was September 29, 2012. Of course, the last phantom airing happened sometime in March 2013.