musicalnovelty

James FitzPatrick TravelTalks shorts

240 posts in this topic

Not sure if everybody can catch this Traveltalk tomorrow morning, Tuesday (April 7th)...

It is always fun compare travelogues shot within the same year by competing film companies and how they differ in narration, music and over all style. Posted this on the previously mentioned blog link: http://fan.tcm.com/blogpost/tcm-short-subject-schedule-starting-april-3rd-2015

8:36 AM PST, 9:36 AM MST, 10:36 AM CST, 11:36 AM EST

Imperial Delhi

MGM- James A. FitzPatrick; camera: Hone M. Glendining / c-8+m / Traveltalk / February 18, 1939

Both FitzPatrick’s Hone Glendining and British cinematographer Jack Cardiff (working with director Hans Nieter) made competing series of India travelogues in Technicolor during the year 1938. Although the “World Windows” series (shot mostly in Europe, India and the Middle East) only lasted three years or so (being distributed in the United States by United Artists and Paramount respectively), these were quite lavish productions with artistic camera angles and slushy orchestrations. For those who want to do a little “compare and contrast”, here’s the British travelogue for fun viewing: http://www.colonialfilm.org.uk/node/1644

You know, just when I thought there wasn't anything more to add, jlewis comes along and provides a link to a fascinating 1938 British short travelogue of Delhi. Thanks so much for this, though now I have to devote what is sure to be an inordinate amount of time checking the rest of the site out. I wonder what else you have up your sleeve.

*chuckle chuckle* That is because, like you, I am a little nerd... updating that imdb.com site two years ago with missing Jack Cardiff shorties... just as you were adding missing Vitaphone shorties. Back then, this filmography link was probably only half as long: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002153/

More useless trivia fun: Cardiff actually did make one FitzPatrick shortie that is often shown on TCM, Paris On Parade. Of course, it would be nice if the "World Windows" were also added to the TCM schedule.

PS: Updated the schedule through Friday the 17th. http://fan.tcm.com/blogpost/tcm-short-subject-schedule-starting-april-3rd-2015

The Traveltalks are popping all over the schedule, including two airings of Visiting Italy in case you miss it the first time.

That is one of the good ones. The music score is much more impressive than usual (no cheezy organ, but full on slushy orchestration), with many aerial shots to match from a vintage airplane. Also both the camera work and overall print quality (preservation status) is better than average, with plenty of close-up shots of people vacationing at the Rio beach that look like they were taken more recently than 1943.

• Like 1

That is one of the good ones. The music score is much more impressive than usual (no cheezy organ, but full on slushy orchestration), with many aerial shots to match from a vintage airplane. Also both the camera work and overall print quality (preservation status) is better than average, with plenty of close-up shots of people vacationing at the Rio beach that look like they were taken more recently than 1943.

Jlewis,

It's difficult looking at the schedule to see which shorts are part of the James Fitzpatrick Traveltalks series. Is there a way you can let us know which ones are coming up this month and next month? I would like to be able to see as many as I can, in their entirety.

Thanks for your help!

I've been posting them here: http://fan.tcm.com/blogpost/tcm-short-subject-schedule-starting-april-29th-2015

However, I need to do a new one for Friday and there isn't much on the main schedule yet. No more Traveltalks for a little while... yet. They did repeat the Delhi one again, so they may repeat the Andes one again too... later this summer, hopefully. You know how slow they are getting the shorts posted.

I've been posting them here: http://fan.tcm.com/blogpost/tcm-short-subject-schedule-starting-april-29th-2015

However, I need to do a new one for Friday and there isn't much on the main schedule yet. No more Traveltalks for a little while... yet. They did repeat the Delhi one again, so they may repeat the Andes one again too... later this summer, hopefully. You know how slow they are getting the shorts posted.

Great information. I'll be checking periodically for your updates.

Holy moly! I love the travel shorts! It's really neat how much you learn from watching these too. I wish they had just DVDs with all of them on there,I'd buy that in a second.They sure made things,simple,fun and informative,without being overly complicated about things back then.

• Like 1

Even better are the Warner Brothers travelogues that rarely get shown. (I think the reason is because all of the MGM ones were easily accessible once TCM got started. Clips were already borrowed for a montage sequence in That's Entertainment Part II in the seventies, while many other shorts got shoved into vaults.) In addition to a FitzPatrick trip to Singapore, we get two WB trips to Holland and Siena, Italy (the Andre de la Varre shorts are especially well photographed with slushy orchestra scores to match) this week.

http://fan.tcm.com/blogpost/tcm-short-subject-schedule-starting-june-9th-2015

Holy moly! I love the travel shorts! It's really neat how much you learn from watching these too. I wish they had just DVDs with all of them on there,I'd buy that in a second.They sure made things,simple,fun and informative,without being overly complicated about things back then.

Yes, they're very educational. I agree that it would be great to have them on home video. Though there probably isn't much of a market for it, unfortunately.

Oh I dunno... they found a market for a great many forgotten TV movies of the 1980s, B-horror crap that nobody cares about much these days and some of Hanna-Barbera's weaker offerings for Saturday morning. I am sure SOMEBODY would buy the Traveltalks if the promotion and packaging looks good. Also giving us a lot of bang for our buck by dumping so many shorties on discs.

Problem is that there are so many of them. Since many early 50s titles are not too-too different than the 30s (aside from music and different cars on the road, if any), it would be silly to put them in chronological order. Yet a Traveltalks Americas, Traveltalks Europe, Traveltalks Orient & Elsewhere DVD trio multi-set would be nice. Listing the release dates on the packaging will add their luster to fans of early Technicolor.

Maybe the Warner Archive can even reissue the black and whites initially released on VHS by Kino too. Maybe intermix them with the color ones, since MGM distributed them from 1931 on. (Gotta include the Soviet ones from 1932.)

A buyer can cherry-pick through the titles menu the places (s)he plans to visit and see how everything has changed. I don't think there would be much fussing about "digitally restored" just so one can have them together.

Oh I dunno... they found a market for a great many forgotten TV movies of the 1980s, B-horror crap that nobody cares about much these days and some of Hanna-Barbera's weaker offerings for Saturday morning. I am sure SOMEBODY would buy the Traveltalks if the promotion and packaging looks good.  

Personally, I think the Traveltalks series would be great for social studies instruction of school age children in geography. That's what I would recommend it for.

Give them a few days. I bet another will pop on the schedule next week.

Although I often praise the Warner travelogues, there is a rather dull one... Season In Tyrol... shown tomorrow morning. I like some other late '60s ones like See Holland Before It Gets Too Big and Up Wind, Down Under (an Australia sports reel) better. Then again, Warner Bros.-Seven Arts was really "economizing" with their shorties then. These travelogues were released alongside Cool Cat and Bunny & Claude cartoons.

Edited by Jlewis
Removed link to full video
  • Like 1

More coming up...

Friday the 10th

4:10 AM PST, 5:10 AM MST, 6:10 AM CST, 7:10 AM EST

Mighty Manhattan, New York's Wonder City

20+m "Traveltalks Special" / July 30, 1949 (filmed summer of '48 when Disney's latest feature was playing)

PHOTO_8800525_66470_18660554_main.jpg

Monday the 13th

11:30 AM PST, 12:30 PM MST, 1:30 PM CST, 2:30 PM EST

Japan In Cherry Blossom Time (Cherry Blossom Time In Japan)

March 21, 1936

PHOTO_13087003_66470_18660554_main.jpg

AND... They "snuck" another in-between.

Sunday the 12th, 4:48 AM PST, 5:48 AM MST, 6:48 AM CST, 7:48 AM EST

Victoria And Vancouver: Gateways To Canada / February 1, 1936

• Like 1

Just adding more to the schedule... feel free to correct any boo-boos.

http://fan.tcm.com/blogpost/tcm-short-subject-schedule-starting-july-12th-2015

and...

http://fan.tcm.com/blogpost/tcm-short-subject-schedule-starting-july-24th-2015

Sunday the 19th

7:49 PM PST, 8:49 PM MST, 9:49 PM CST, 10:49 M EST

West Point On The Hudson / January 10, 1942

Monday the 20th

6:05 AM PST, 7:05 AM MST, 8:05 AM CST, 9:05 AM EST

Voices Of Venice / February 3, 1951

8:05 PM PST, 9:05 PM MST, 10:05 PM CST, 11:05 PM EST

Monumental Utah / July 29, 1944

9:49 PM PST, 10:49 PM MST, 11:49 PM CST, Tuesday 12:49 AM EST

Canada airings roughly two minutes later

Wandering Here And There (assorted USA) / December 9, 1944

Tuesday the 21st

9:19 PM PST, 10:19 PM MST, 11:19 PM CST, Wednesday 12:19 AM EST

Glimpses Of Argentina / December 1, 1951

Wednesday the 22nd

7:05 PM PST, 8:05 PM MST, 9:05 PM CST, 10:05 PM EST

Modern New Orleans / May 11, 1940

Thursday the 23rd

10:20 AM PST, 11:20 AM MST, 12:20 PM CST, 1:20 PM EST

Over The Seas To Belfast / August 31, 1946

8:50 PM PST, 9:50 PM MST, 10:50 PM CST, 11:50 PM EST

Oriental Paradise (Japan) / January 5, 1937

Friday the 24th

3:34 AM PST, 4:34 AM MST, 5:34 AM CST, 6:34 AM EST

In The Land Of Diamonds (South Africa) / October 25, 1952

6:20 PM PST, 7:20 PM MST, 8:20 PM CST, 9:20 PM EST

Visiting Italy / August 25, 1951

Tuesday the 28th

TCM lists this airing the same time as THE THIN MAN at 3:16 AM PST (6:16 EST).

Colorful Curacao  / May 27, 1939

Friday the 31st

4:35 AM PST, 5:35 AM MST, 6:35 AM CST, 7:35 AM EST

Glimpses Of Western Germany / February 13, 1954

Sunday, August the 2nd

4:43 PM PST, 5:43 PM MST, 6:43 PM CST, 7:43 PM EST

Java Journey / March 18, 1939

Friday the 7th

Canada - 9:17 PM PST, 10:17 PM MST, 11:17 PM CST, Saturday 12:17 AM EST

US - 9:20 PM PST, 10:20 PM MST, 11:20 PM CST, Saturday 12:20 AM EST

A Wee Bit of Scotland / December 7, 1949

Saturday the 8th