Sign in to follow this  
Film_Fatale

"1776" (1972)

19 posts in this topic

I've watched this early-70s musical a couple of times in the last few months, and I am looking forward to possibly watching it again when it plays on Friday.

*1776* (1972)

The founding fathers struggle to draft the Declaration of Independence.

Cast: Howard Da Silva, Ken Howard, Donald Madden, John Cullum Dir: Peter H. Hunt C-165 mins, TV-G

Any other fans of *1776* here?

ent_1776.jpg

Film musical:1776. Brilliantly put together. It gives an lovely entertaining insight into how

our Congressional Incobater acts and responds to serious issues dealing with Americans.

Oh sweet Jesus (a line from the musical). I love it and am so pleased to know that I am not

the only one out hear, that finds our government to not only be serious but frankly rather

funnnn kneeee. I hear hear declear the musical film1776 to be reconized as Brilliant. How many

vote yea. How many vote nay.

> {quote:title=ahkooceyaw wrote:}{quote}

> Film musical:1776. Brilliantly put together. It gives an lovely entertaining insight into how

> our Congressional Incobater acts and responds to serious issues dealing with Americans.

> Oh sweet Jesus (a line from the musical). I love it and am so pleased to know that I am not

> the only one out hear, that finds our government to not only be serious but frankly rather

> funnnn kneeee. I hear hear declear the musical film1776 to be reconized as Brilliant. How many

> vote yea. How many vote nay.

Watch out for the indentation, it can make part of your post "poof".

And I would agree that it is a very revering look at the work of our Founding Fathers and the compromises they had to make to get the Declaration of Independence signed.

One of my favorites!!! Saw it on Broadway and loved it. The film version is delightfully true to the stage performance. An interesting result of the play and the movie was a renewed interest in the life of John Adams. It was soon after play scooped up a bunch of Tony awards that PBS presented "The Adams Chronicles". But that was only the beginning. Years later, John McCullough penned "John Adams" which was recently made into an HBO movie. It's nice to know that the play 1776 and the movie that followed did such a nice job of capturing the impatient, obnoxious, persistent personality of such and amazing man, John Adams. Cheers!

So, you saw the original show on Broadway then? If so, I am very, very envious of you! I personally consider "1776" to be one of the best shows to come out of musical theater.

I also put the film on my list of all-time best movie musicals. It is, perhaps, one of the most intelligent musicals ever written.

*Adams*: A whole week! The entire earth was created in a week!

*Jefferson* (to Adams): Someday, you must tell me how you did it.

Great stuff!

Plus, the music ain't have bad either! "The Lees of Old Virgina", "He Plays the Violin", "Sit Down, John", "Mama Look Sharp" and even "The Egg". Thoroughly enjoyable songs.

All-in-all, for me, it is simply one of the best musicals both on Broadway and film.

I too am obsessed with this musical---in my top 10--and so glad to see others like it too. I'm also jealous that one of you saw the original. This show is so smart and it adds suspense to something where we all know the ending. It makes me appreciate how hard it was to get this country going and how many times it almost didn't happen.

I love how the music fits the time period rather than being all 70s (like Man of La Mancha, which I love, but it's still nice not to be a slave to making a hit record).

I love how smart it is, as someone already said. I love how funny it is, and how some things never change. "This is a revolution--we're going to have to offend somebody!"

If I had the money and the talent I'd direct this show in a heartbeat. It cannot be seen enough.

I watched this movie every 4th of July since I was a little kid. Love, love, love.

I am glad, too, to see that others enjoy this musical (I seemed to be the only one that did for years). I do have to agree with you that I like the fact that the music reflects the time of the 1770's rather than the 1970's.

There will be a local production soon. I would LOVE to be in it. I would take either role of Abigail or Martha. I don't care. I would just like to say that I have been in the musical at least once in my life. Unfortunately the local production still isn't local enough. Two hours of driving back and forth is kind of tight for me. But I can't say that I am not still considering it.

I saw the original Broadway production, and it was a masterwork of theater. The original cut of the film (only available on laserdisc) remains my favorite version of it. Too bad the DVD is edited. Although the film materials are far superior on the DVD, I've only ever watched it once. I prefer the complete laserdisc. The laserdisc also has better sound.

The laserdisc is definitely a must-own for fans of "1776", even if, as the jacket indicates, the original negative for all of the additional scenes was destroyed, making it necessary to use the best prints that were available - but which themselves had some degree of deterioration.

I grew up with the crappy (though I didn't know at the time it was crappy) VHS, so the DVD was a dream come true. It's also the same print they show on TCM with like 20-30 minutes of restored footage. The laserdisc really has more? what more does it have?

Well, I have yet to buy it on DVD (so I am stuck with the VHS - or what is shown on TCM, which is OK, of course). The one thing I remember hearing about the laserdisc version is that it had the uncut "Piddle, Twiddle and Resolve". I may be wrong on that, but I thought I heard that so long ago. I know I found a video of it on YouTube once, but I can't seem to find it now. I will have to do some more searching again (maybe they took it off of there).

It was funny when I saw the "extended" version on TCM for the first time. I was so used to the "old" version that it literally did seem like a brand new film for me. :D

> The laserdisc really has more? what more does it have?

Lonesome,

The laserdisc version is about 180 minutes long. I don't recall what specific scenes are in that version that don't appear in the DVD, but when I watch it again I'll try and take notes and go into more detail. If someone else is familiar with the longer (3-hour) version, maybe they'd like to list what the additional scenes are.

I've only watched the DVD once, and got rid of it. I may be forgetting a couple of things. Aside from the lousy sound, it's missing the Overture, Entr'act and Exit music that is on the laserdisc. As for the actual film, the laserdisc includes an additional verse in "Piddle, Twiddle...", there is a small moment where Jefferson is sitting on the window sill in Independence Hall, and a young girl looks up and they smile at one another, while Adams is ranting in the background. There is, perhaps, the best visual moment in the entire film on the laserdisc. After Ben Franklin leaves John Adams to visit a female companion, John Adams travels back to Massachusetts to visit Abigail (in his mind). After they finish the song 'Till Then', there is a wonderful scene of the town of Philadelphia waking up. A crane shot takes us from John Adams sleeping on the bottom step of Thomas Jefferson's abode, and pulls back to see all the merchants setting up for the day, while Ben Franklin cheerfully greets everyone. I was so saddened to see that scene completely gone from the DVD. There is more dialog on the stairs between Franklin, Adams and Martha Jefferson. There is footage of Dr. Hall, walking down what would be Chestnut Street, greeting people "Good morning!" (including Mr. McNair, who is getting water from a pump) and whistling. He is so jaunty! This continues into where Hall comes into the congress and Mr. Thompson is reading off the names of all those committees. The tune from "Cool, Cool, Considerate Men" is playing during this as well.

These are small moments, but the film is better for them.

> These are small moments, but the film is better for them.

I'm inclined to agree. It's a shame that TCM won't show the full 180-minute version, either.

What would it take for Sony Home Video to release the _whole_ thing on DVD?

Well, what is on DVD, is what Peter Hunt wanted. Why that's what he wanted, only he can explain. After years of everyone (including Hunt) thinking that the original film elements were lost forever, we get a lovingly restored (from various sources), laserdisc, which even Hunt praised as "the film as I always meant it to be". Then, miracle of miracles, the pristine elements are found in a vault, literally in a mountain, and he gets to edit it for DVD release, and he botches it, imo.

Oh, yes, I guess I had forgotten the director wanted this particular cut to be on DVD. Well, they could still have included the other scenes as bonus material, I guess.

Both my (now ex) friend that I saw 1776 with and I had a very hard time with this film, and we walked out in the middle of it, because we found it so boring!