Sign in to follow this  
filmlover

[b]The TCM 15th Anniversary Guest Programmers Thread[/b]

777 posts in this topic

Hi, everyone,

I am creating this thread on behalf of the other members of the "Fab 15," those of us who were given the incredible honor recently of appearing as Fan Guest Programmers on TCM with Robert Osborne. This week-long event will air on TCM during the prime-time hours of April 13th through April 17th, part of TCM's 15th anniversary celebration.

We decided to start a thread of our own in which we could fill you in on our experiences in Atlanta as guests of Turner Classic Movies, tell you what films we chose and why, and also allow YOU a chance to ask us questions about the event and about appearing with Mr. Osborne.

Speaking briefly for myself, that trip in November 2008 was one of the greatest pleasures of my life. Robert Osborne is indeed the gentleman he appears on screen, making every one of us feel very much at ease from the moment we sat down in the chair next to his. I would also like to say that every member of the TCM staff made us feel very special.

I will write more about my great time there, but for now I want to get this thread started and allow each of us a chance to speak....and to hear from you.

filmlover

Hi, Singleton. I was very lucky. I gave TCM a list of ten of my favorite films and I was lucky enough to get the one I wanted most for my spot with Robert Osborne.

First, know that it took me some time to come up with the list. Think about it, you have to pick just one movie out of every one that has ever been created. If regular guest programmers have trouble in choosing only four, think how much harder that it will to be choose just one film that you want to discuss...on air...with Robert Osborne! Remember, this may be your only chance in your life to do this. No pressure, LOL.

A number of titles made my ten list. Among them Casablanca, CInema Paradiso, and others I have now temporarily forgotten. But there was one film I wanted to introduce on TCM, one of my favorites that means a lot to me because of a strong, personal identification I have with the story.

It is a 1980 film called "Those Lips, Those Eyes" and it stars Frank Langella, Tom Hulce, and Glynnis O'Connor. It is scheduled to air the first evening of the Fan Programmers' week, April 13th. I won't reveal too much about the film now because I talk about why I chose it in my opening and closing sections on TCM. It truly is a marvelous coming-of-age film I hope everyone watches.

The five smiling faces below are from CineMaven, who was also one of the 15 guest programmers. And I am sure she would love to tell you a bit about her time there right now... : )

I will visit this thread everyday. All of you who had this opportunity deserved it. I have learned so much from these message boards...so much so that you have made a terrific impact on my views of history, creativity, and the art of film-admiration and the amazing performances that I am now aware of. Cudos to all.

Now a few questions...

Were you nervous?

If you goofed do they "cut" and redo? Or do you just converse and they edit?

Were you told what to wear and how to sit and where to look?

Does Mr. O smell good? I mean, he's so dashing I just figured he must use great scents. No one has to answer that if it seems freaky.

All of of among the Great Unwashed are cheering for the Chosen People. Really.

I know most of you lucky Guest Programmers from the TCM Boards and a couple of you from real life, thanks to meeting on the TCM Boards to begin with.

TCM couldn't have picked a better bunch of people to represent all of us. I know you did us proud, and I think I speak for all on that point. And we can't wait to see you on the tee-vee!

A head's up, though ... a mole inside TCM told me that CineMaven got a little carried away with herself when she filmed her introduction to *The Letter* , and she actually said:

"This is my life. It always will be, there's nothing else, just us and the TCM cameras. And those wonderful people out there in the dark. Alright Mr. Osborne, I'm ready for my close-up."

Well, there's one in every bunch.

They made us feel so at home and relaxed, I forgot to be nervous. We did a few takes, so if we did "Oops" they had a few shots to choose from. But, we did just converse. We basically selected our own wardrobe. And, you do have look at a mark to be at the proper angle for the camera. Finally, Mr. O is a class act.....'nuff said.

> {quote:title=ChipHeartsMovies wrote:}{quote}

> A head's up, though ... a mole inside TCM told me that CineMaven got a little carried away with herself when she filmed her introduction to *The Letter* , and she actually said:

>

> "This is my life. It always will be, there's nothing else, just us and the TCM cameras. And those wonderful people out there in the dark. Alright Mr. Osborne, I'm ready for my close-up."

>

> Well, there's one in every bunch.

Hey, what's the point of being in front of the cameras if you don't let yourself get carried away just a little bit... at least once in your life. ;)

*"Well, there's one in every bunch."* - Chips

SO that _was_ a Monkey's coffin I saw with her luggage!

Kyle (I don't mean that in the NYPost way!) In Hollywood

Chip,

Thanks so much for the positive support. As the others have said, it was the experience of a lifetime.

I'll be adding more as the weeks go on and if anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

In the meantime, Chip, sounds like you are buying CineMaven cosmos on Friday night after y'all get done basking in the glory that is Gene Tierney.

Ellaisgood: Posted: Mar 5, 2009 12:29 AM

?Were you told what to wear and how to sit and where to look? Does Mr. O smell good? I mean, he's so dashing I just figured he must use great scents. No one has to answer that if it seems freaky.?

It?s funny that you use the word ?dashing? because that is EXACTLY how I would describe Mr. Osborne. I will also add: gentlemanly and genuine. When I looked into his eyes, I truly felt he was listening to me. WoW! I can?t quite describe it.

------

ChipHeartsMovies: Posted: Mar 5, 2009 12:48 AM

"A head's up, though ... a mole inside TCM told me that CineMaven got a little carried away with herself when she filmed her introduction to ?The Letter? and she actually said:

?This is my life. It always will be, there's nothing else, just us and the TCM cameras. And those wonderful people out there in the dark. Alright Mr. Osborne, I'm ready for my close-up.?

Well, there's one in every bunch.?

CHIP!!! Did my publicist tell you that? She was supposed to keep that under...Oooh, wait until I get a hold of her. She?ll never work in this town again!!!

-----

hlywdkjk: Posted: Mar 5, 2009 1:19 AM ?

?SO that was a Monkey's coffin I saw with her luggage!

Kyle (I don't mean that in the NYPost way!) In Hollywood?

;-) Crap, my monitor!!

A-hem! Ladies and gentlemen, fellow 15th Anniversary Guest Programmers, and fellow TCM Message Board posters: I present to you, my husband and butler: Kyle Von Stroheim.

-----

lzcutter: Posted: Mar 5, 2009 1:33 AM ?

?In the meantime, Chip, sounds like you are buying CineMaven cosmos on Friday night after y'all get done basking in the glory that is Gene Tierney.?

As usual, Ms. Cutter...the only sane one in the bunch. Dude, you are soooooo right, Chipsy soooooo owes me a cosmo next time we meet...

And I know just the bartender in Hollywood who will make it for me...on the house.

More soon good people. I don?t want to wear out my welcome.

Ellaisgood wrote: Now a few questions...

Hi, Ella,

Were you nervous?

Nervous? Very much so, from the moment I stepped on the airplane until it was all over. However, TCM went out of its way to make us always feel comfortable. We had a chance to meet Robert Osborne the previous evening at a get-to-know-each-other party on the set, and he was very kind and warm to all of us, helping to break the ice. They even allowed us the opportunity to sit in Robert O's chair. I hesitated, for fear lightning would come from the skies and strike me down.

The next day, I was the second person to be filmed, I believe, and I had the benefit of sitting in the Green Room and watching on the TV monitor as Rome did his turn first on the set. That really did help. When it came my turn, I was extremely nervous but as soon as I got on the set, Robert Osborne made me feel very much at ease by saying he was glad I chose "Thise Lips, Those Eyes" as my movie. He was the only person I had met so far that had even seen it, let alone heard of it!

If you goofed do they "cut" and redo? Or do you just converse and they edit?

They were very kind to us, always. They told us if we fel we made an error that we could stop and start again, but I don't recall that happening. There were just a couple starts and stops to fix minor details for camera angles or the way we were sitting or to touch up on something (I hope I didn't slouch...Lynn told us all to put a cushion behind us to help us sit up straight.). Yes, we just did basically talk. He would ask us a bit about our background and then inquire as to why we chose whatever film it was we had picked. Editing will hopefully make me look good, LOL. There were two common things a number of us mentioned in the Green Room after our interviews, and that was 1. "It seems like it was over so quickly" and 2. "I meant to mention but forgot...".

Were you told what to wear and how to sit and where to look?

They had told us in advance what to avoid wearing (e.g., stripes that could look bad on camera) but we were allowed to choose our own clothes. They also had a number of clothes there if any changes needed to be done, but I wasn't aware of anybody wearing anythng but what they brought with them.

As far as where to look, yes. We still looked at each other when talking, but when Robert introduced the movie to the at-home audience we would look at he camera. We would also look towards it for the after-movie ending to our spot before we started talking again, and then looking once more at each other as we did so. By the way, Robert Osborne really listens to what you have to say and you feel you are in a one-on-one conversation with him, which helps you forget you are under studio lights, in makeup, and being filmed.

Does Mr. O smell good? I mean, he's so dashing I just figured he must use great scents. No one has to answer that if it seems freaky.

LOL, sorry, not something I paid attention to.

Hello to the chosen ones. :) I can't wait to see you all in action.

I have a few general questions for the group.

Regarding your list of films:

What were the limits you had placed on your selections when chosing your final ten films?

Were you able to express a preference for certain movies over others in your final list?

You have all mentioned how kind and helpful everyone was. That is nice to hear. Regarding the "get to know you party":

Did you get to mingle and engage in "small talk" with Mr. Osborne? Did he actually hang out for awhile? What about Mr. Tabesh? Was he around? Any little things gleamed from meeting these people and other staffers that you would like to share?

Since some of you were meeting in person for the first time from "off the boards", I imagine the subject of the boards came up. What, if anything did anyone on the staff, have to say about the boards? Do you think Robert Osborne has ever looked at the message board?

Did any of you mention Mr. Osborne's books to him? Did any of you talk about Hollywood history with him? Did you get to discuss any of your favorite actors with him?

Among the board members, would any of you care to say who seemed the most comfortable in the spotlight?

Was there any kind of general tour of the facilities? What did you find interesting about that?

Well that is enough for now.

Your responses are appreciated. :)

Thanks,

Molo (Larry)

Message was edited by: molo14 for spelling

One question just for you CineMaven. :)

Did you ever mention the words "Gloria Grahame" to anyone? ;)

*Regarding your list of films:*

*What were the limits you had placed on your selections when chosing your final ten films?*

*Were you able to express a preference for certain movies over others in your final list?*

Hey Molo!

I don't think there were any limitations from TCM on the films we could choose. I had some personal limitations that I considered. First and foremost, what short list of films would I feel comfortable talking about on camera, in front of a crew, a television audience of 75 million viewers *and* Robert Osborne.

Once I wrapped my brain around that (it wasn't the cameras that worried me as much as talking with Robert O and being able to sound like I knew what I was talking about.) There were some obscure films I thought of but at the end of the day, I went with films that I knew very well because I felt more secure going with those choices. And being comfortable in that way makes it easier to be comfortable on camera.

So, once I had narrowed the field that way, I had some personal limitations to think of.

The top film on my list (as those who have been around here for a couple of year know) was *To Kill a Mockingbird* . I can write about that film until Boo Radley comes home. But, I cannnot talk about the film, especially favorite scenes (which is a standard Robert O question) without crying. And not just getting a little teary but I am talking voice quivering, tears rolling down my face crying.

So I put that in my notes when I compiled my list. Another movie on my list that would be tough to talk about without turning into an ocean of water was *Liberty Valance* . I really wanted the chance to talk about Ford, myth, the West and Wayne so I thought I could get through that one without breaking down. So it went to the head of the list.

We sent our lists into TCM and from there it was up to the Programming staff to see what films they could get. Word came back a few weeks before we left to Atlanta what film each of us would be introducing. TCM also sent us each DVDs of our chosen film so that we could watch it and prepare our talking points.

*You have all mentioned how kind and helpful everyone was. That is nice to hear. Regarding the "get to know you party":*

*Did you get to mingle and engage in "small talk" with Mr. Osborne? Did he actually hang out for awhile? What about Mr. Tabesh? Was he around? Any little things gleamed from meeting these people and other staffers that you would like to share?*

Yes, most of the staff and Robert O were at the "get to know party". It was held on the stage and they even had the Essential chairs and we each got our picture taken. Robert O made a point of meeting each one of us and assuring us that we would be in good hands and that the focus of the event was for us to relax and enjoy ourselves. He said not to worry about shooting the segments because we were in good hands with his crew and they would take good care of us.

He made a special point of introducing Charlie Tabesh in the remarks he made about half way through the evening. The TCM staffers made a point of coming up to all of us individually and talking to us. Mr Cutter got to go with me on this journey and he was surprised at how personable everyone was and how much they seemed to be enjoying having us there.

*Since some of you were meeting in person for the first time from "off the boards", I imagine the subject of the boards came up. What, if anything did anyone on the staff, have to say about the boards? Do you think Robert Osborne has ever looked at the message board?*

Those of us from the message boards talked a lot about the boards both at the party and the rest of our time in Atlanta as we got to know one another. Kyle, Peter and I already knew one another because we all live in the City of Angels and had gotten together a few years back when we discovered we were basically all in the same area of Los Angeles (and we were thrilled to meet fellow Angeleno Rome who we did not know prior to our trip and who has quickly become part of our group!)

The staff does read the message boards and some of them do post here from time to time. TCMProgrammr probably being the one we all here know the best.

I don't know if Robert Osborne reads the boards periodically but I'd like to think he does.

*Did any of you mention Mr. Osborne's books to him? Did any of you talk about Hollywood history with him? Do you get to discuss any of your favorite actors with him?*

He and I talked a little Hollywood history and western history in my on-air segment. The filming took about a half hour and less than half it will be probably be used so I am curious to see what ended up on the cutting room floor and what will be shown. I tried hard to remember all my talking points but there just wasn't time for everything!

*Among the board members, would any of you care to say who seemed the most comfortable in the spotlight?*

Do you mean during the interviews with Robert O or just in general in Atlanta?

*Was there any kind of general tour of the facilities? What did you find interesting about that?*

Mr Cutter had hoped to get a tour of the facilities but he took ill on Monday morning and wasn't able to. The soundstage area is near the green room where we sat and talked and got to know one another in between the tapings.

For those who weren't being interviewed, TCM had put together an all day tour of Atlanta. A couple of the board members took that tour while some of us just hung out at the studio until it was time to go back to the hotel.

As the others have said, it was an incredible experience and one that I will always cherish.

Hope that helps! Let us know if you have any other questions!

Message was edited by: lzcutter for grammatical and missing stuff

What were the limits you had placed on your selections when chosing your final ten films?

We were asked to select films that had an impact on our lives. So I guess that narrowed the playing field. These were ten films that I could talk about easily.

Were you able to express a preference for certain movies over others in your final list?

My film is one of my all time favorites.

You have all mentioned how kind and helpful everyone was. That is nice to hear. Regarding the "get to know you party":

I don't think there were many of the TCM family missing at the party. It was VERY special.

Did you get to mingle and engage in "small talk" with Mr. Osborne? Did he actually hang out for awhile? What about Mr. Tabesh? Was he around? Any little things gleamed from meeting these people and other staffers that you would like to share?

There was plenty of small talk with all at the party, including with Robert Osborne. He remained through most of the night. Mr. Tabesh as well. The thing that "gleamed" the most was the family atmosphere and how we were made part of that.

Since some of you were meeting in person for the first time from "off the boards", I imagine the subject of the boards came up. What, if anything did anyone on the staff, have to say about the boards? Do you think Robert Osborne has ever looked at the message board?

N/A, wasn't on the boards before this.

Did any of you mention Mr. Osborne's books to him? Did any of you talk about Hollywood history with him? Did you get to discuss any of your favorite actors with him?

Talked about the one forthcoming. Mainly in the interview.

Among the board members, would any of you care to say who seemed the most comfortable in the spotlight?

WE ALL ROCKED!!!

Was there any kind of general tour of the facilities? What did you find interesting about that?

Yes. What was very interesting was that the facility also accomodated TBS and TNT. So we got the full Turner package.

Hope this helped.

Yes that was helpful. Thanks for sharing.

So you put notes about each film on your list. That was kind of what I was wondering about. There are a number of films I feel I could talk about with Robert Osborne (at least in theory) but I imagine when I actually sat down with him my mind would probably turn to mush. I think the idea that this was going to be on television would scare me most of all.

*Robert O made a point of meeting each one of us and assuring us that we would be in good hands and that the focus of the event was for us to relax and enjoy ourselves. He said not to worry about shooting the segments because we were in good hands with his crew and they would take good care of us.*

That would be the kind of thing I would want to hear. :) The crew knows what they are doing and they want you to look good. I guess you would be pretty confident that they will make sure you don't come off looking like a fool. I imagine they have dealt with non professionals being on camera and how nervous people might get.

*He made a special point of introducing Charlie Tabesh in the remarks he made about half way through the evening. The TCM staffers made a point of coming up to all of us individually and talking to us. Mr Cutter got to go with me on this journey and he was surprised at how personable everyone was and how much they seemed to be enjoying having us there.*

This is the kind of thing I would love to have seen. Someone should have made a behind the scenes documentary! :) It would probably sell really well here on the boards.

*Molo wrote: Among the board members, would any of you care to say who seemed the most comfortable in the spotlight?*

*lzcutter wrote: Do you mean during the interviews with Robert O or just in general in Atlanta?*

I guess I meant more during the interview part. Who was the most comfortable in front of the camera and talking with Robert O., or at least, who came off that way. I was just curious.

Thanks again for your reply! :)

There is little I can add to Lynn's answers, but I would like to mention, in case it wasn't known, only about a third of the 15 guest programmers came from this Message Board. I don't know how all of the others were chosen, but Juan, the fourteen year old, had tried to enter the Guest Programmer contest from last year (where one had to submit a video), but he was too young. But they were charmed by him and brought him in as part of the 15th anniversary.

And I will leave to it Lynn to answer the question about who was the most polished since I believe she saw almost all, if not all, of the different programmers being filmed. However, I would like to mention that no matter how nervous we felt inside, none I saw came across that way on camera. Of course, I'm still not sure about me, but I will have to wait to find out. And Lynn's spot may have been the only one that I can recall that didn't have any retakes...though the rest of us did have a bet in the Green Room on how long it would be before she would get teary-eyed talking about She Wore A Yellow Ribbon.

Lynn mentioned how long it took to do each one, but I swear it only felt like five minutes I was there and done.

Thanks for your reply too CEBandello!

I love hearing about all of the experiences everyone had in Atlanta..

Glad you decided to join us here on the boards as well.

MOLO ASKS:

?Were you able to express a preference for certain movies over others in your final list??

For me, the hardest part of the entire experience was having to pick ten films that resonated with me personally. OMG! That was truly tough. When I finally created my list to send to the TCM team, I put them in a preference order...and I felt very lucky to be able to introduce the film that was Number 1 on my list. Whew!

?Did you get to mingle and engage in "small talk" with Mr. Osborne??

At the risk of sounding redundant since my fellow programmers have already answered that question (and my recollections so totally match theirs), I?d only like to add that when my guest took my picture with Mr. Osborne and he wrapped his arms around me and we were cheek to cheek...WOW!

We were all special in our own way. I believe we all looked attractive, were informative, enthusiastic, homespun, articulate...awww hell, we rocked!!! But ultimately, I guess the judge of that will be you out there in tv-land.

"...This is the kind of thing I would love to have seen. Someone should have made a behind the scenes documentary! It would probably sell really well here on the boards."

I did do one in a very basic rudimentary unprofessional home-movie way. To sell it? Hmm...I don't think TCM would approve of that.

?One question just for you CineMaven. Did you ever mention the words ?Gloria Grahame? to anyone??

I most certainly did, Molo. During my stint in the Red Chair, I did give a shout-out to the great Gloria Grahame. I hope it makes the edit, but I really did put her name out there; and know this...when I mentioned her, I was specifically thinking of you and FrankGrimes. Sincerely, it was my way of saying "hi" to you both on the air.

CineMaven said: At the risk of sounding redundant since my fellow programmers have already answered that question (and my recollections so totally match theirs), I?d only like to add that when my guest took my picture with Mr. Osborne and he wrapped his arms around me and we were cheek to cheek...WOW!

One thing I found so unbelievable prior to going to Atlanta was the thought that I would be sitting next to Robert Osborne, talking about a movie I loved, and it would air in front of millions of people. There was one other time in Atlanta when I said to myself, "Something isn't right here...and I think it's me" but this was definitely the case at this prospect. And when on the set, I thought to myself that I should be looking at this and him through a TV screen.

Even after meeting him, I think I was in a continual state of awe around him. Prior to my filming, I was wandering around the dressing/makeup rooms and the makeup woman for Osborne came out of his dressing room and asked if I would like to get made up now. Even though he wasn't there, I said, "But this is Robert Osborne's dressing room" in the same reverence as if I were being asked to step into God's private sanctuary. She said it was okay and I sat in his makeup chair. Halfway through the procedure, he walked in to get something and I swear I jumped up out of the chair and called him "Mr. Osborne" even though we met the night before. I am not sure, but I may have said "Sir," too!

*CineMaven said: At the risk of sounding redundant since my fellow programmers have already answered that question (and my recollections so totally match theirs), I?d only like to add that when my guest took my picture with Mr. Osborne and he wrapped his arms around me and we were cheek to cheek...WOW!*

CM,

I don't think we should worry about sounding redundant. While we all share the same gift, a love of movies, I think the process of choosing films and our time in Atlanta is different for each of us because like everyone else here on the boards, we are each unique individuals.

Though we all had the same experience, I especially like hearing the individual stories as they are all part of the larger picture and I think those who read this thread will enjoy hearing how each of us shares our story.