Sign in to follow this  
filmlover

[b]The TCM 15th Anniversary Guest Programmers Thread[/b]

777 posts in this topic

Filmlover,

Judging from your detailed recollection, I suspect you kept a diary of this experience. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Peace and much Love, Man

Filmlover, your account brought a tear to my eye, becuz your detail allowed me to re-live the experience.

I will share the story of my "Road to Atlanta" very very shortly. First...I gotta find Bob and Bing. They're probably at the "Leave Her to Heaven" screening at the Film Forum. Let me check...

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> No, but the event was so very special, it stays with me in such detail.

I look forward to the rest of your recollections. :)

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

>I must have had a ten minute "back and forth" about my disappointment over the new Primetime Opening with the Head of the Department responsible for it. Obviously, I didn't convince her to change it again but she was intent to hear what "Kyle In Hollywood" had to say because my opinion mattered. This happened more than once with others from other departments too.

Kyle,

I don't like the new primetime opening either. But I don't like change in general, which is why I am a fan of older movies and TV, I guess. I also really miss the morning opening with the cafe and the singing--what was it, "Look for the brighter side of life" or something like that? I used to know it by heart but it's been a year or so since they changed it and my memory is fading on it. I like the new afternoon opening OK as I didn't care for the old one too much. I also really like the late night opening and am worried they might change that one day too. And I thought I have noticed two almost identical late night openings, but one has a scene or two that the other doesn't ("the car headlights"?), and the music is just slightly different at one place in the middle and at the end. I have been trying to go back through my recordings to try to find the other one which isn't shown much anymore, but I haven't been able to find it, so now I'm wondering if I imagined it.

I thought I might be the only person who pays attention to things like the openings--when I point these changes out to my friends, they just roll their eyes and say they can't believe I notice such stuff. I'm glad to find out I'm not the only one who notices these things.

Anyway, my question is, when you talked with the Head of the Department, did she explain why they made the changes? Was it just because they thought a fresher look was needed?

And I'm curious as to what your disappointment was with the new opening. Mine is that it looks too modern. The old one seemed to have a more classic look to it. The new one seems to look too CGI for my taste, although maybe the old one was computer generated, too.

Congratulations to all of you on being selected for such a thrilling experience!

Robbie

Message was edited by: voranis

Message was edited by: voranis

*"...when you talked with the Head of the Department, did she explain why they made the changes? Was it just because they thought a fresher look was needed?"* - voranis

Hi 'voranis'.

That was nearly four months ago now. Details are fading away. Mostly she was patiently listening to my "rant" - most of which included details that I posted in here before leaving for Atlanta. And she understood I wasn't against a change in the opening. I was only disappointed in the result.

See here -

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/message.jspa?messageID=8166670#8166670

When I wrote that, I had no idea I would meet the person in charge of that change. It was her searching me out in the crowd that first night that signaled to me that this trip was going to be alot different than I expected.

What I remember most from our conversation was her declaration that the decision to change the primetime opening was not taken lightly. To make a change to the "signature" intro that had been seen for fourteen years had to be handled with the utmost care.

According to "Ms. C", they wanted to convey a sense of community among movie watchers (a congregation, if you will) and also create that anticipation associated with the start of a movie. Plus it was important to herald Robert Osborne as the "man of TCM" with his name featured prominently on the rooftop movie screen.

As to the "freshening" aspect, a lot of the visuals on TCM have been "freshened" over the past year or so. Look at the method of presenting the trailers on the channel, for example, which borrows from the "31 Days Of Oscar" promos of the past two years. Or the "Word Of Mouth" intros. This piece was just one part of that process. And I can't say I blame them undertaking this renovation. 14 years is an eternity in television time. But they know that "change for change sake" is not enough of a reason to mess with things. It is motivated to make sure even these smaller parts of the TCM day don't get, for lack of a better word, stale.

I don't think I have betrayed any confidences with what I have written about our conversation that night. I hope not as we have plans to get-together the next time she is in Los Angeles. I'd hate to have jeopardized our "date" as she is one of my favorite new TCM friends.

Kyle In Hollywood

> What I remember most from our conversation was her declaration that the decision to change the primetime opening was not taken lightly. To make a change to the "signature" intro that had been seen for fourteen years had to be handled with the utmost care.

I assumed that would be the case. This network has always been very thoughtful and careful with its changes. Which is why I was curious as to the reasons behind it.

>

> According to "Ms. C", they wanted to convey a sense of community among movie watchers (a congregation, if you will) and also create that anticipation associated with the start of a movie. Plus it was important to herald Robert Osborne as the "man of TCM" with his name featured prominently on the rooftop movie screen.

I do think it's great that Mr. Osborne's name is featured now. I watch TCM a lot just to see his commentary (and Mr. Mankiewicz's too). I could watch many of these films on DVD but it just wouldn't be the same. Actually, I wish Mr. Osborne's commentary could be released on DVD, too. He has a real warmth and affection for movies that makes his commentary particularly delightful to watch, more so than some other movie critics.

>

> As to the "freshening" aspect, a lot of the visuals on TCM have been "freshened" over the past year or so. Look at the method of presenting the trailers on the channel, for example, which borrows from the "31 Days Of Oscar" promos of the past two years. Or the "Word Of Mouth" intros. This piece was just one part of that process. And I can't say I blame them undertaking this renovation. 14 years is an eternity in television time. But they know that "change for change sake" is not enough of a reason to mess with things. It is motivated to make sure even these smaller parts of the TCM day don't get, for lack of a better word, stale.

Even the visuals that show the next three movies coming up changed last year. I actually was glad of that, because one of the old visuals had the movie names trailing away and decreasing in size in a slightly upward diagonal fashion that made the ending of the movie name hard to see on my small (27") TV. Now all the visuals show the movie titles in a horizontal, consistently sized font that is easy to read. I guess I am not against all change. :-)

>

> I don't think I have betrayed any confidences with what I have written about our conversation that night. I hope not as we have plans to get-together the next time she is in Los Angeles. I'd hate to have jeopardized our "date" as she is one of my favorite new TCM friends.

>

Whoa, I'm sorry if my question was inappropriate. I didn't mean to be digging for anything confidential. I didn't think their explanation for the change would be confidential--if it was, I apologize for asking. It's neat to hear things that you guys had an opportunity to discuss with the TCM staff that most of us will never have!

Thanks,

Robbie

*"Whoa, I'm sorry if my question was inappropriate. I didn't mean to be digging for anything confidential."* - voranis

Robbie -

Don't worry about that. I don't think there were any "state secrets" in my post - nor in the original discussion in Atlanta. She was intent on hearing my critique and responding to that. She wanted to understand my disappointment and make sure I understood the motivation for the change. Plus she actually seemed sincerely bothered that she had disappointed me with the new opening. How cool is that?

That's why she is one (of many!) of my favorite new TCM Friends.

Kyle In Hollywood

> Robbie -

> Don't worry about that. I don't think there were any "state secrets" in my post - nor in the original discussion in Atlanta. She was intent on hearing my critique and responding to that. She wanted to understand my disappointment and make sure I understood the motivation for the change. Plus she actually seemed sincerely bothered that she had disappointed me with the new opening. How cool is that?

>

> That's why she is one (of many!) of my favorite new TCM Friends.

>

> Kyle In Hollywood

Kyle,

It's easy to see why this network is so great. Apparently it's not just Robert Osborne--the entire staff cares about the work they're doing. This passion and consideration for everything related to their work shows up in the quality of the presentation on the TCM screen in our homes everyday.

Thanks for sharing!

Robbie

Message was edited by: voranis to correct typo

Good morning All! I hope to make this interesting for you before you scurry off to enjoy your Sunday.

I saw "Leave Her to Heaven" yesterday afternoon and by God! Gene Tierney left me breathless. She was so preternaturally beautiful in Technicolor that it was really was painful to look at her. And her insidious shenanigans were a joy to watch...from afar. And if there was a prettier actress in Hollywood than Jeanne Crain, please name her. Her beauty and sweetness countered Tierney's insidiousness. But look at the choices guys make.

Now there was this scene where...where...

where am I? Yikes! This is not the movie rambles thread!! This is the "...Guest Programmers" Thread. Oh brother!!

"Come and listen to a story about a gal named 'Mave,

A poor Secretary barely kept her family fed,

And then one day she was surfing tv channels,

And up through the muck kept a bubbling crude...

Classic films that is, TCM, Robert O...*

"THE ROAD TO TCM"

I tried out for the Guest Programmer contest where we had to do a three-minute video pitch. The winner of the video pitch would pick four favorite films and sit with Robert Osborne. I'm in! I used the vistas of New York City in my hopes of being noticed: a summer?s day, the Empire State Building, the UN, the Brooklyn Bridge, the New York City skyline. I made the initial cut from about two hundred entries, as one of the five finalists to be selected by on-line AOL voting.

I lost.

Heartbroken, I vowed never to watch mean ol? TCM again!! Well, of course the day after the contest ended, I was watching TCM again. Many months later, I got an e-mail from TCM asking me if I wanted to come to their New York studio to watch them tape.

Boy, would I.

The day of the taping, I was in a studio with the set-up just like we see on tv. Bookcases, leather chairs. I saw the taping of Chris Elliott, John Sayles and Alec Baldwin. (Baldwin was hilarious!) I watched the director and the lighting guy. I watched how the TCM staff treated each other with respect and good cheer (something very unlike my own work environment). And then I was introduced to Robert Osborne: tall, handsome, gracious. He had a conversation with me. He talked to ME! I walked on air from 9:00am until I floated out of the studios at 3:30 that afternoon.

A few months later, I got another e-mail from TCM. Would I want to participate in a video interview where I would be asked about my love for classic movies.

Boy, would I.

But wait. I should start to question things. Why me? Why am I being so lucky. On second thought...who cares why. If TCM wants to hear the ramblings of a die-hard, movie-mad, classic films buff...who am I to argue?

So I went to a conference room inside a mid-town hotel, met with two young men and was interviewed by one young man for two hours. Me. What did I have to say that TCM would care about. A mouthful, apparently, becuz I kept the young man entertained with my stories.

I received ?consolation prizes? from TCM: pens, journals, DVDs, tote bag, t-shirt (and all well-used now). All because...well because...I dunno. I was grateful to get them, though.

So now it is August..ONE year later. I am on a flight to Killeen, Texas. When the plane lands, the pilot announces we may turn on our electronic devices. When I turn on my cellphone, I hear a message from the Talent Coordinator who I met back in the New York studio a year before. Her message on my voice mail said that TCM would be celebrating their 15th Anniversary on the air by having fifteen fans do guest programmer duties. (You got it, the message is STILL on my voicemail...my proof I was not dreaming). She (Darcy) told me the event would be held in November in Atlanta. The round-trip airfare and four-star hotel would be taken care of by TCM. And I could invite a guest. Would I be interested?

WHAT??? BOY, WOULD I!!!

I had to stifle my screams of joy while the plane rolled into its terminal (security issues, and all). But when I got to my family?s house, all bets were off. (And there were lots of screams because my trip to Killeen was a surprise to them).

The hardest task I was given was to write down a list of 10 films I felt I could passionately discuss; films that resonated with me on a personal level. Stanwyck and Lizabeth and Doris and Mitchum and Grahame among others made the list. And I tell you, I racked my brain for two weeks with that one because I took it seriously. Once I sent in my list of ten films, TCM would pick the one film they?d want me to do.

Again, I had the luck of the Irish when my favorite film from the ten was chosen by TCM for me to introduce with Robert Osborne: "THE LETTER.? I could talk about that film for hours, but watching TCM I knew I?d have five minutes tops. You might think this all is amazing. Well, TCM had one more thing up their sleeve for me.

I was e-mailed again and asked if I would like to do a separate fan testimonial which would be filmed separate and apart and in addition to the intros with Mr. Osborne. Well...what else could I say?

(All together now:) Boy would I!

I guess the public wants what the public wants. ;-)

So I?ve been invited to Atlanta to appear on TCM. This is too much, unreal and bizarre. I am a school secretary, I am a filmmaker and I am being given the opportunity of a lifetime. What did I do to deserve this? I'll figure it out in the next lifetime.

NEXT STOP, ATLANTA...

(*)Message was edited by CineMaven: My apologies to Scruggs & Flatts, and Holland-Dozier-Holland![/b]

Thank you, CM, it really takes me back the way you described it. I remember jumping up and down after I got the call, too.

My TCM Adventure (continued)

Before I tell of the special second filming I was fortunate enough to take part in, there was something I forgot to mention in the previous installment. After our first night get-together, we all returned to our hotel rooms and found that the always-working TCM crew had left each of us a TCM travel bag. Inside were an assortment of TCM gifts: the book ?Leading Couples," one of the wonderful blue mugs, a t-shirt, a pen and a journal, a khaki blanket, and a TCM tattoo. : ) Wonderful things to take back with us. Thank you, TCM.

So...getting back to where I left off: I had done my taping with Robert Osborne, a few others had, too, we had lunch in the cafeteria, and I was waiting for my ride to the location where I would be doing a special separate filming?

That second filming was one they decided to do with four of us (CineMaven, Rome, Me, and the fourth I think was Philip) (please correct me if I am mistaken). Each of us would be interviewed in a different atmosphere, talking about our love of movies. These separate films were to be interstitials.

My location was in downtown Atlanta, inside a pizza cafe called ?Slice.? Regrettably, the caf? had been cleared out for the shooting, so no pizza, sigh. I was driven over to the location, went into the makeup/clothing trailer, and went trough the process of getting made ready again. A great independent crew were handing all of that. Then when they did the best anyone could possibly do with me, I was taken to the restaurant.

I met the producer of the segment, Tim, who was from TCM and who, like his counterparts back at the studio, did his best to make me feel at ease. I will tell you, though, this whole setup was much more intimidating than being inside a safe and warm studio. I mean, here I was, surrounded by a film crew, who were setting up lights, a green screen, testing the camera and sound, plus makeup people and others also here. All of us in this tiny caf?. Outside, police had shut down the streets in the vicinity for the film crew.

It took a short while for the crew to get everything set up while, off to the side, I nervously awaited the summons to appear in front of the camera. I talked to the people there, including others who were TCM personnel, and I tried cracking a few jokes. Cool on the outside, but inside I was feeling more and more nervous. The major difference between here and the shoot at the studio was that at the studio I was one of fifteen guest programmers. Safety in numbers. But, here?all of these people were here for one purpose?to film ME. If that doesn?t intimidate one, I don?t know what would.

The time came and Tim said they were ready for me. I went over to sit on a stool in front of a green screen. Tim explained he would be off-camera asking me questions about a period of my life I truly loved, going to movies as a kid. A few rehearsals were done for the camera, which was only about three feet in front of me, and a boom mike mere inches above my head (yes, I, Mr. Coordinated, stood up too quickly sometimes after a take and bumped it). And then it was time to shoot the real thing. The PAs got on their communication devices and told the outside crew to lock everything down. Tim took his place to side of the camera, and that is when it truly became clear to me?all of these different professionals inside the caf? were now focused entirely on me, that camera and those lights were all aimed at me, the outside crew and police were stopping all foot and car traffic for me?all of this was about me. And inside my head, a voice said very loudly, LOL, ?Something is wrong about this picture?and I think it?s me.?

Anyway, Tim asked me the questions, I answered them, a number of different camera shots were done, some changing of film loads, and a couple of hours later we were done. What I do remember most in answering the questions (by the way, Tim, if you are reading this, you were great ? thank you so much) was in describing the movie-going experience I had when I was a young lad. I told how I would go to a kids? matinee for only 20 cents, and that we got to see two movies, cartoons, shorts, a serial chapter (something Columbia had re-released to the theatres in the early Sixties) and there was an extra bonus?and I recall me saying, ?If you got to the theatre before 1 PM, you got a free Pepsi.? I stopped suddenly --- and asked the crew if I was allowed to say that here in Atlanta, the home of Coca-Cola! LOL! I am not sure if it will be in the interstitial.

Then when I was done, it was back to the hotel for a quick shower for the upcoming dinner that night that TCM was holding in honor of the guest programmers.

To Be Continued

"Thank you, CM, it really takes me back the way you described it. I remember jumping up and down after I got the call, too."-filmlover

I was seat belted on the plane, hence no jumping...and then there was that bloody darned security concern.

Peter,

Those special segments they filmed with the four of you sound like they'll be as fascinating (I hope!) as the kimpunkrock promo. I look forward to watching them as soon as they start airing.

*"Hmmm, wouldn't you like to know..."* - CineMaven

Let's see...

*Best Foot Forward*, *Footsteps In The Dark*, *One Foot In Heaven*, *Footlight Parade*, *My Left Foot*, *Footloose*....

Have I said too much?

Kyle In Hollywood

"Hmmm, wouldn't you like to know..." - CineMaven

"Let's see...

Best Foot Forward, Footsteps In The Dark, One Foot In Heaven, Footlight Parade, My Left Foot, Footloose....

Have I said too much?" - Hlywdkjk

lol! Hmmm...a foot fetishist's revelation??? ;-)

Message was edited by CineMaven: Because attribution is mandatory.

*"lol! Hmmm...a foot fetishist's revelation???"* - CineMaven

Not at all.

I just remember hearing someone waxing rhapsodic about a single footstep in a certain movie.

Kyle In Hollywood

"Not at all. I just remember hearing someone waxing rhapsodic about a single footstep in a certain movie." - hlywdkjk

OMG!!! You are soooo right!!! I forgot about that. KJK...you are truly amazing!! :-)

Folks, you'll just have to tune in to the Fan Guest Programmer week to see what we're talking about.

Message was edited by CineMaven...becuz I just had to say again "WoW!"

> Folks, you'll just have to tune in to the Fan Guest Programmer week to see what we're talking about.

That's quite a good tease, someone seems to be a natural for television. ;)

*"KJK...you are truly amazing!!"* - CineMaven

No. That would be you. Me? I was the deer caught in the headlights.

Kyle (You forgot???) In Hollywood