Sign in to follow this  
hlywdkjk

TCM's Amazing Anniversary Year

19 posts in this topic

TCM has just announced some more of the special programming coming up during their 15^th^ Anniversary Year. Highlights include -

-----------------------

*ORIGINAL PROGRAMMING*

*DICK TRACY SPECIAL STARRING WARREN BEATTY* ? July

Film historian and critic Leonard Maltin sits down with Dick Tracy, as played by Warren Beatty, for this innovative half-hour interview special in which the two men discuss the legacy of Chester Gould?s square-jawed detective. The special is peppered with clips from the various Tracy incarnations, including the RKO serials starring Ralph Byrd; the film noir-ish features with Morgan Conway; and Beatty?s big-budget, Oscar-winning blockbuster. The special will be presented in conjunction with TCM presentations of Beatty in *Dick Tracy* (1990); Conway in *Dick Tracy, Detective* (1945) and *Dick Tracy vs. Cueball* (1946); and Byrd in *Dick Tracy?s Dilemma* (1947) and *Dick Tracy Meets Gruesome* (1947), the latter featuring Boris Karloff.

*TCM PRESENTS: THRILLERS* ? October

In the first of its new series of original documentary specials looking at specific genres of cinema, TCM focuses on thrillers, including film noir classics and Alfred Hitchcock nail-biters. Darryl Frank and Justin Falvey are executive producers for Dreamworks on the documentary series. Laurent Bouzereau is writer/producer/director.

-------------

*TCM SHOWCASES*

*GUEST PROGRAMMERS*

Each month on this movie showcase, TCM invites a celebrity to exchange star status for a role as a devoted fan of classic film by picking a few favorite movies and sharing with viewers what he or she has come to love about each one. Upcoming stars featured on the showcase include Oscar winner Anthony Hopkins, comedian Richard Lewis, legendary comedian Bob Newhart, Oscar and Emmy-winning actress Cloris Leachman, comedian and commentator Dennis Miller, director John Landis and actor Tommy ?Tiny? Lister.

*THE ESSENTIALS JR.* ? Hosted by John Lithgow ? June-August

*FUNNY LADIES: THE MOVIES? FEMALE CLOWNS* ? Monday, April 20, through Friday, April 24, beginning at 8 p.m. (ET)

TCM pays a week-long tribute to the women who have made moviegoers bust a gut laughing through the years, from the 1920s through the 1980s. The week will feature a who?s who of comedic women, including Patsy Kelly (Kelly the Second), Zasu Pitts (The Ruggles of Red Gap), Margaret Dumont (A Night at the Opera), Marie Dressler (Dinner at Eight), Rosalind Russell (The Women), Mae West (My Little Chickadee), Billie Burke (Topper), Eve Arden (Stage Door), Gracie Allen (Mr. and Mrs. North), Fanny Brice (Everybody Sing), Marjorie Main (Feudin? Fussin and A-Fightin?), Betty Hutton (The Miracle of Morgan?s Creek), Martha Raye (Monsieur Verdoux), Judy Holiday (Born Yesterday), Carol Burnett (Who?s Been Sleeping in My Bed?), Lucille Ball (The Long, Long Trailer), Nancy Walker (World?s Greatest Athlete), Goldie Hawn (Seems Like Old Times) and Lily Tomlin (All of Me).

*THE DIRECTOR?S CHAIR* ? June

Each August, TCM pays tribute to the greatest movie stars of all time with Summer Under the Stars. Expanding on that theme, the network will devote each night in June to celebrating a great film director. Among the filmmakers featured will be Steven Spielberg (Saving Private Ryan), Martin Scorsese (GoodFellas), John Ford (Stagecoach, The Quiet Man); Frank Capra (It Happened One Night, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington); Woody Allen (Hannah and Her Sisters, Interiors); Francois Truffaut (Jules & Jim, The 400 Blows); Orson Welles (Citizen Kane, The Lady from Shanghai); Alfred Hitchcock (Notorious, Rear Window); Billy Wilder (Sunset Blvd., Double Indemnity); George Stevens (Shane, A Place in the Sun); Norman Jewison (In the Heat of the Night, Fiddler on the Roof); and George Cukor (Born Yesterday, My Fair Lady).

*TCM GOES TO THE MOON WITH BUZZ ALDRIN* ? Monday, July 20, beginning at 8 p.m. (ET)

Legendary astronaut Buzz Aldrin will join Robert Osborne to introduce an evening of movies commemorating the 40th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing. Aldrin will introduce such lunar classics as A Trip to the Moon (1914), For All Mankind (1989), The Right Stuff (1983), Marooned (1969) and Capricorn One (1978).

*1939* ? July

It is called Hollywood?s Golden Year, when the artistic visions of directors and producers and the money interests of the studios came together in a way that has never been duplicated since. It is little wonder that in such a year, 10 films earned Oscar nominations for Best Picture, including winner Gone with the Wind and fellow nominees The Wizard of Oz, Wuthering Heights, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Ninotchka, Stagecoach, Dark Victory, Of Mice and Men, Love Affair and Goodbye, Mr. Chips. It was also a year that saw such amazing productions as Gunga Din, The Hunchback of Notre Dame and The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex. TCM celebrates the Golden Year with a month-long festival in July.

*BERNARD HERRMANN* ? September

From the suspense of Alfred Hitchcock to the marvels of Ray Harryhausen, Bernard Herrmann spent years as one of Hollywood?s most sought-after film composers. His lush and sometimes experimental scores have made movie fans scream with delight over the shower scene in Psycho (1960), sit on the edge of their seats while Sinbad fights a sword-wielding skeleton in The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad (1958), relish in the cinematic artistry of Citizen Kane (1941) or dance to the demonic jig in The Devil and Daniel Webster (1941).

*FRANK CAPRA* ? December

The creator of one of the holiday season?s most memorable films ? It?s a Wonderful Life (1947) ? gets a special December tribute with this month-long festival. Capra is known for his Americana vision, a combination of folksiness, down-home values and the everyman winning against powerful forces. TCM will feature such Capra classics as Best Picture Oscar winner It Happened One Night (1934), Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939), Meet John Doe (1941), State of the Union (1959) and his final film, Pocketful of Miracles (1961). The network will also feature a collection of Capra?s wartime documentaries.

---------------

What a collection of great things to look forward to.

And is it just wishful thinking to believe that each of those films listed in the "The Director's Chair" info are going to be shown on TCM? *Saving Private Ryan* and *Goodfellas* ! WooHoo if it's true.

Kyle In Hollywood

Sounds like we have a very exciting year coming our way. Kudos to the programmers and all others at TCM who are working very hard to make this a very special year for us viewers. B-)

Kyle,

WOW!

A month of directors! See me do the happy dance!!!!!

And a 1939 celebration and the Moon Landing Anniversary with *The Right Stufff* and Buzz Aldrin as the guest. Color me happy, happy, happy!!!!

"No bucks, no Buck Rogers"

"Our Germans are better than their Germans"

"Hey Ridley, ya got any Beaman's?"

I just noticed...

In the section for *1939*, they've listed *Of Mice And Men*. That's great as I have never seen it!

Chalk up another great catch from 20th Century Fox.

Kyle In Hollywood

Kyle:

Do you mean to say that OF MICE AND MEN is a 20h Century-Fox Picture? No, it is actually a Hal Roach Production, released through United Artists.

I'm very excited about the Capra tribute. I hope they will show some more of his early works that I don't have and it'll also be very interesting to see the wartime docs he made.

They have shown quite a few of Capra's early films in the past, but I'm not sure if they've shown them all. I've been able to catch *Dirigible* and *The Bitter Tea of General Yen* so far.

*"Do you mean to say that OF MICE AND MEN is a 20h Century-Fox Picture?"* -musicalnovelty

I've always thought it was. But you could be right.

Kyle In Hollywood

I like OF MICE AND MEN a lot. Maybe a little too talky for classic cinema. (Maybe.) But that doesn't stop me from recommending it. A sad, sensitive story that will stay with you forever.

Ro,

What can I say, I've loved *The Right Stuff* since I saw it in the theater during it's original release.

But, I am just as excited about the other anniversary goodies this year. Especially in June with Directors getting honored. I'm hoping Raoul Walsh, Howard Hawks and Wild Bill Wellman are in the mix as well. I'll be in heaven if that mix includes Allan Dwan.

I can't be the only one who will look forward to Richard Lewis and Bob Newhart as guest programmers?

I also love the director theme for June. Count me in as another hoping for Howard Hawks... maybe Sam Fuller or Nicholas Ray too!

*"I can't be the only one who will look forward to Richard Lewis and Bob Newhart as guest programmers?"* - SSOS

I don't think you are. I bet there was just SO much to absorb at once that, for many members, alot of the details got overlooked. Like an original documentary _series_ covering major film genres! Wow!

Or Capra's WWII wartime documentaries.

Or the TCM premiere of *For All Mankind*.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_All_Mankind

Or Leonard Maltin hosting a program on TCM.

And I think we should conduct an English Comp. lesson of "Compare and Contrast" using the Richard Lewis & Dennis Miller Guest Programmer stints.

30 evenings of film directors does sound interesting. And two directors can be added to the "published" list because they are being featured on The Essentials that month -

William Wyler (The Letter)

Mervyn LeRoy (Random Harvest)

All in all, I think I'll be spending a lot of time watching TCM this year.

Kyle In Hollywood

> Film historian and critic Leonard Maltin sits down with Dick Tracy, as played by Warren Beatty

I am so glad to see Leonard a part of TCM. He is truly a class act.

Also will be nice to see Warren in the limelight again.

> *GUEST PROGRAMMERS*

>Oscar and Emmy-winning actress Cloris Leachman

Another great star who just is never interviewed. Where has she been? Love, love, love her. I'd love to see a Private Screenings with Cloris.

> *FUNNY LADIES: THE MOVIES? FEMALE CLOWNS* ?

>Carol Burnett (Who?s Been Sleeping in My Bed?)

>Lily Tomlin (All of Me).

All the films listed have been shown to death, except these two. Never seen the Burnett movie, but All of Me is one of my favorites. If you've never seen it before, make a point to. It is in the same vein as Here Comes Mr Jordon.

> *TCM GOES TO THE MOON WITH BUZZ ALDRIN* ?

That RULES. I always have a big BBQ on July 20th, except this year it'll be smaller because a Monday. It'll be fun to end it of gathering around the telly to see "space classics".

> *1939* ? July

It's about freekin' time.

> What a collection of great things to look forward to.

I agree! Very thoughtful & inventive. I love TCM.