Sign in to follow this  
leobertucelli

Why Oh Why??

48 posts in this topic

As I sit here searching for the right words to defend my favorite genre of film I notice that my pals on this site have certainly risen to the occasion and defended this wonderful genre of film to the fullest. The only thing I can add is that nothing (on screen) will ever match the power that someone like Lilian Gish exuded in those early days of the motion picture. The word INTOLERANCE comes to my mind as I think of the person that started this topic.

I absolutely LOVED Orphans in the Storm last night on TCM. This is a movie that I hadn't seen since I was a little squirt, watching Ernie Kovacs' series "Silents, Please" with my parents, who remembered seeing it at a very young age in the theatre. That's the kind of extravagant moviemaking that makes me think wish I'd been born in an earlier time! D.W. Griffith and the Gish sisters were great artists! And don't get me started on the dynamic crowd scenes and the lovely art direction and costuming!

I'm so glad to read that others liked it as well. I wish that they had a primetime spot devoted to silents during the week as well as at midnight on Monday morning. More silents, please--along with the best of the talkies! Great programming, TCM.

Lolite, please feel better soon. I know what you're going through a little bit--I've had septicemia & pancreatitis from gallstones. It ain't fun, no matter what part is giving you the heebie jeebies. Hope that "this too shall pass" is literally true in your case.

Me too Lolite...I wish all the best, a beloved uncle of mine, who's undergoing treatment right now, has high blood pressure, diabetes, heart ailment, and kidney problems....so it must be very painful for you, pal...Hope all goes well Lolite, A Hug for You. An another one to you Moira, you must be a very brave, maybe your irish blood must have sth. to do with it, 'cos I believe you're of irish descent?.

Well finally someone with a discerning mind!!

Thee one thing I can't stand is the rickety dinky music that they all seem to have and another is the quality of the print--but why not, they're almosy 100 years old--

Here we go again, I'm being accused of complaining about print quality. You misunderstand, I merely used this observation with respect to the ORPHANS OF THE STORM print to illustrate that it was not necessarily indicative of the ideal presentation for a silent to the novice viewer. Believe it or not but many people even today are still extremely naive about silent's and fully expect them to be herky-jerky, blurry, crudely photographed and worse still they actually believe they were intended to be shown at the faster projection rates! This is a gross miss-representation of the silent genre. It creates a erroneous impression that for the most prevailed for decades from the 1950's on through the mid 70's!

For Mr. "Why Oh Why man" (sorry i don't remember your name)I love the art of silent film. It is endlessly fascinating to me. It is tragic that so many silent films have been lost for ever! We will never know what we might have lost! What we have left has great significance to it! For anyone to suggest that it be burned is shear anathema! This is living history sir, precious and irreplaceable! It's who we were and where we have been. It's very important that we honor and cherish it!

Today's youth have an appalling lack of regard for our past! If it isn't current it just isn't worth their time, and this type of narrow minded attitude is very sad indeed! I would much rather watch the unique artistry of Chaplin, Lloyd, and Keaton for example, than anything that's being made today! I would seriously defy anyone under close analysis not to be impressed by these men's work and even more so the lasting influence they have had on future generations of film makers.

Actually the print quality of most of the Silent's shown on TCM is very good to outstanding! Most of THE LOST WORLD (1925) print shown on Sunday was very good. Almost all of Harold Lloyd's films literally look like they might have been shot last week! They are only in this good of a condition because Harold Lloyd himself practically pioneered the art of film preservation! Very few other people save for Chaplin or maybe Cecil B.Demille took in to account what these films might mean to future generations. If Harold hadn't given the UCLA or his film Trust such outstanding archival material to work with in the first place and preserved his films so well during the final years of his life the new prints wouldn't look nearly as good as they do today! All of his silent features as complete as was salvageable, were transferred from nitrate to modern 35 millimeter fine grain film stock shortly before his death in 1971.

In addition, most silent's aired on TCM do not have rinky-tink sounding music in the least. I certainly wouldn't describe either Chaplin's masterful score to THE KID or the orchestration that accompanied THE KING OF KING's as even remotely rinky-tink! For Shame!

I think that TCM showing DeMille's 1919 " Male and Female" was pretty a landmark event!!!indeed..

I definitely want to buy one the best of "Orphans of the Storms"...has anyone been able to compare (through netflix, or whatever, both the best copies of this superb film....Image's and Kino's releases??? Which is the best?? Please need feedback

Thank you moira, Feaito for all your love & kind words

i lov ya both for taking the time to express in this thread and i'm sorry this got put in this thread.....

the discussion is wonderful about silent films and the good ideas and attitudes are great!

I'm learning alot lets keep it going with a wonderful attitude everyone is expressing BOY I LOVE THIS BOARD SO MUCH AND ALL OF YOU!THANKS AGAIN FOR CONCERN & LOVE L.B.

p.s. haven't passed the stone yet but i'm comfortable

and resting.

Hi Gagman! I will agree with you that if a great print of a Silent is available, that it is wonderful to be able to find it and buy it, or see it on TCM if it's in their Library. But, I also believe that even if the print is NOT real great, and is likely the only one in existance, that it's the title of the Silent, the actors in it, and the story being illustrated that are the top priority for selection of the "best" Silents if you're building a personal Library while you still can.

Personally, I don't much care about the quality of the Silent movie provided that I can see it! Thanks to the incredible kind of restoring that has been accomplished on most of these Silents, we are seeing them in better quality than most movie-goers of the time saw them...without scratches that often ran the full length of the film stock, jumpy editing to accommodate for the times the film burned for a few frames because of the hot light bulb in the ancient projector, and film being shown too fast or too slow depending on the skill (or whim) of the projectionist.

Everyone would prefer a Carl Davis soundtrack, but that's not always going to happen. For those Silents that really take me back to the days of the earliest "flickers" and appear to be a little shop-worn, I'm happy for the trip back in time and look to it as part of the enjoyment I get out of watching these wonderful films. Just thought you might like to see my perspective. ;)ML

You're right M.L. i.e. the print of Sunrise on dvd (which I obtained thanks to the Fox Studio Classics Promotion, 'cos it's not yet available on the market), is far from perfect, but it's the best that exists, so one has to be grateful about having the chance of watching such a monumental work of art...the best way possible...BTW the dvd has some outstanding bonuses, for example, a detailed story/documentary (with stills and pictures) on Murnau's lost movie starring Janet Gaynor, "Four Devils" (1929)....it's just great!!! This is a cherished possession.

Fedo, I'd give my right leg to have "Sunrise", whether on DVD or VHS! This Silent is continually and frequently touted as being "the best Silent ever made", and I can't understand why it hasn't been released to the public considering it's popularity. Even a "limited edition" printing would be better than nothing. If you ever see that it's available to purchase somewhere, please let me know right away. ML

Actually "classic fan 1119" what you are saying about many silent films looking better today than they did in days of yore, is not strictly accurate. Original Nitrite film was very sharp and vibrant. This is why it remained the choice of film makers for so long well into the early 50's. However movies did not open simultaneously on a national scale like they do today, so by the time a film got to your home town it may have been copied already two or three times over.

I mentioned this last night in the Genre era of the forum but no one seems to have seen it yet, so I'll bring it up again right here. Some official honest to goodness news on the HAROLD LLOYD DVD front has just been announced. That's the good news, the bad news is that the HL film Trust appears to have had nothing whatsoever to do with it. KINO INTERNATIONAL is at long last finally releasing what is hopefully just the first in a forth coming series of Lloyd DVD set's on July 20th.

All the films in this package anyway, are in the Public Domain and not under the stranglehold of the HL film Trust. They apparently will be restored prints though and even digitally re-mastered. The collection will contain numerous titles that have been airing from time to time on TCM over the past two years. BUMPING INTO BROADWAY (1919),AN EASTERN WESTERNER (1920), NUMBER PLEASE (1920), I DO (1921), ( all vintage Lloyd Two-reelers) and his landmark 1922 feature GRANDMAS BOY, along with two other short films. It appears highly unlikely however that these will be the same versions as the TCM editions as those were produced for TCM by special arrangement with the Harold Lloyd Trust.

M.L. just as I told you with "Manchurian..."..I'd tape Sunrise for you...but its copy-protected, because of the law, etc...I'd share most of my movies and taped them for free for my friends, but whenever I've tried (i.e.: Dodsworth, for a dear friend who cannot afford it), it can't be done. If we lived nearer I would invite you to my house or go to yours (SMILE).

I enjoy watching classics with people who love them and really feel "good vibes" watching them! Here, most of my friends wouldn't care less about classics, except my wife, my dad and one of my bros.

For example, I enjoyed so much watching "Rebecca" and "Pride and Prejudice", with my "small" 20 years old (I'm 36 you know) sister...she loves Austen and DuMaurier...and Charlotte Bront?

Nonsense "featio", their are several DVD copy protection over-ride products on the market like DVD RED PRO for example. I assure you with the proper equipment your DVD

of "SUNRISE" can be duplicated!

There is a way to buy "Sunrise" on the open market. This past fall, Fox issued a "collector's set" of four of their classics that have been released individually. The titles were "All About Eve" "Gentleman's Agreement" "How Green Was My Valley" and alas, "Sunrise." My best friend gave me the set for Christmas, and I have to say I was really surprised to see "Sunrise" included, since it was generally known that you had to send Fox three UPC codes from their other films in order to get a copy. But this set has it, and I know that my friend bought it at Border's. So you could check there, or perhaps Amazon.com, deepdiscountdvd.com etc.

MovieJoe, Thanks for your info. I did run across this same "set" at Amazon one day, but I'd have to buy the entire set, which I don't really want, and which is price prohibitive for me anyway, just to have "Sunrise". One of these days, the good Lord willing, I'll get to see it. I'll just try to be patient. ;)ML

I WOULDNT BURN THE SILENTS JUST DONT WATCH THEM IF THEY ARE NOT YOUR CUP OF TEA CHANGE THE CHANNEL IM NOT CRAZY FOR SILENTS MYSELF AND IT IS THE PITS WHEN THEY ARE ON ALL IN A BLOCK AND THE BEST CHANNEL ON TV IS KNEE DEEP IN SILENTS ITS SORT OF LIKE THE DAYS WHEN THE PRESIDENT SPOKE AND HE WAS ON ALL 3 CHANNELS I DID WATCH ONCE THE SILENT WHERE ARE MY CHLIDREN AND LIKED IT BUT ROBERT HAD TO SELL ME ON IT HE TALKED ABOUT IT FIRST YOU KNOW AS HE DOES AND AFTER HE WAS DONE I SEAID OKAY ILL BITE BUT THEN AGAIN THERE WAS NOTHING ELSE ON THINGS I DO KNOW ABOUT SLILENTS THAT TICKLE ME IS THE GUN SHOT THAT IS CAPTURED ON FILM AND PEOPLE WERE AFRAID THEY WERE GOING TO BE SHOT AND THE GUY WHO STOOD STILL WHY A HOUSE WAS FALLING AND THE DIRECTOR OR PHOTOGRAPHER{THE ONE POINTING THE CAMERA} CLOSED HIS EYES BUT THE CAPLIN SILENTS THEY ARE GOOD THOUGH SILENTS ARENT MY FAVORITES THE SILENT OF CHAPLIN TRYING TO GET AT THIS GUY BUT TRYING TO AVIOD A POLICE OFFICER AT THE SAME TIME IS HILLARIOUS HE ACTS LIKE A MECHANICAL FIGURINE AND LEAVES ME IN STICHES IT IS PART OF THE FILM THEY SHOWED AT THE OSCARS WHEN CHAPLIN CAME BACK TO AMERICA AFTER SELF EXILE I SAW IT ON A TAPE OF THE GREATEST OSCAR MOMENTS OF 1970-1990 FOUND THIS IN A DOLLAR GENERAL ON VHS IT LEFT ME WANTING MORE

lolite, just catching up on some of the boards today and I saw that you are suffering from a kidney stone. Ouch! My hubby had one several years ago and they are very painful! Take care of yourself, dear! Oh, my hubby did say that once the stone has passed, the pain stops immediately.

gwtwbooklover, could you please not post in all caps? It is considered "shouting" and does make your posts a little hard to read. Just a request and welcome to the boards here.

I am just sick that I missed ORPHANS OF THE STORM again! I have been wanting to see this one forever. Darn.

Sandy K

Dear sandy, thank you for your well wishes i never had a

kidney stone before what an experience i hope i never have one again!....lots of fluids, pain meds, its a

stubborn little stone. Now to talk film I too was waiting for "Orphans of the Storm" a while too even in my pain i was determined to see it! I could watch it again anytime soon.I am sorry you missed it if i know there are going to show it again on tcm i'll try to remind you if i can.....again thanks for your loving concern. loliteblue.

Sandy sorry to hear about the stone. I had one a few years ago, and it was worse than childbirth. Several times worse than childbirth. Also after the pain of childbirth you do get a little gift. Hope you feel better soon.