Sign in to follow this  
spencerl964

In Honor of Memorial Day>Finest WW11 flix. You decide vs. my pix

50 posts in this topic

(*-as always indicates ACADEMY AWARD) I do not in anyway shape nor form want to offend any vets,etc for & from other wars. By only citing the biggest of all wars to date> WW2 here! However, given I & other cinephiles on this very network, have written/spoke,etc of topics including all war in cinema history already. Felt I should limit these this time only to World War 11 & how motion pictures have dealt with them-(the best of the best!) For those with good memories' TCM's own: R. 0sborne did his own lil' article-(actually it was huge! on same topic a couple yrs. ago. He submitted his picks in FAVORITES SEC. I believe) EXAMPLE: My personal candidate as greatest war-film ever is not WW2, but "Apocalypse Now!"-(not for it's accuracy of course, just sheer brilliance of filmmaking)

My Top Five WW11 pictures-(In honor of Memorial Day 2004)

1. "Saving Private Ryan" (1998) (D-Spielberg)

*2. "From Here to Eternity" (1953) (D-Zinnemann-(swept 8 OSCARS 1 for *"The Chairman: Sinatra! P.S. has anyone else out there ever seen the 1979/80 tv mini-series w/Natalie Wood??? It was just re-aired on Lifetime I think? I can never find another whom has seen that version. It's ok at best. W. Devane, Steve Railsback, Joe Pantoliano-(now known for "Sopranos," but has been acting for yrs. played Maggio in it!)) & get this, good casting>Peter Boyle played "Fatso" Judson) PLEASE REPLY?

3. "The Great Escape" (1963) (D-Sturges) (I'm walking a fine line here, between Adventure & War!?)

4. "Battleground" (1949) (D-Wellman) (Who can ever forget it's final & that song!!! This was a film H. Hughes turned down at RKO stating "Nobody still wants see a WW2 film, 4yrs. later")

5. "The Longest Day" (1962) (D-3 of 'em> Annakin, Marton & Wicki)

*6. "Patton" (1970) (D-Schaffner)-(also can be called more of a bio!?)

*7. "Bridge on the River Kwai" (1957) (D-Lean)

8. "12 0'Clock High" (1949) (D-King) (Arguably, *Peck's finest hour of acting)

9. "Das Boot" (1982) (D-Peterson)-(Thee sub flick withour peer!)

10. "The Thin Red Line" (1998) (D-Malick)-(NOTE: Very close for #10th place with *Ford's 1945 "They Were Expendable" & this almost superb pc. of work-(& there are quite a few scenes that are superb too, especially it's cinematography!) It also had the miscalculation of being released same yr. as "Pvt. Ryan!" Which, is a "JAW-DROPPIING" experience in itself, not only a movie!)

(A MUST MAKE HONORABLE MENTION):

1993's awe-inpiring *"Schindler's List" However, the rule I have for an actual war movie is there must be battle(s), gun fire, tanks,etc. The whole works. Like say *Spielberg's other WW11 era materpiece "Pvt. Ryan!" It's not an all-out war-epic. It's so overpowering an achievement>"Attntion Must Be Paid!"

Thank You to all

Spencer--Battleground is one of the first movies I ever remember seeing at the drive in when I was about 5 or 6. I guess it must have been a re-release because that would have been about 1960. I still love this movie and watch at least some of it every time it's on.

My finest pics are the following :

1."The Best Years of Our Lives

2."The Human Comedy"

3."Saving Private Ryan"

4. "The Bridge On The River Kwai"

There are some of my favorites listed here already especially "Saving Private Ryan". However I do want to list a film which I believe is first rate and that is "The Victors" (1963) a sprawling WW2 drama of Allied soldiers on the march through Europe.

Mongo

Here are my favorites:(I know I'll remember some others later)

The Great Escape

Saving Private Ryan

Battle of the Bulge

Von Ryan's Express

Kelly's Heroes

Go For Broke

The Longest Day

Battle of Britain (1969)

As for the home front:

The Human Comedy

Best Years of Our Lives

Enchantment

Something odd just happened to my post below. A sad face appeared in the middle of my statement where "(" this was suppose to go. How did that face get there? I've seen these in other posts but I thought you had to down load them or pay for them. If anyone can explain this - I would be greatful.

a colon and an open parenth will make a frown

: ( with no spaces just at the opposite will make a smile : ) :(:)

My WWII List:

Casablanca

13 Rue Madeleine

Brief Encounter

Twelve O'Clock High

Patton

Hanover Street

The Bridge On the River Kwai

From Here to Eternity

For Whom The Bell Tolls

Foreign Correspondent

Saving Private Ryan

Empire of the Sun

The Train

The Young Lions

The Search

My WWII Favorites include: (Combat depicted)

Battleground

To Hell and Back

The Big Red One

Saving Private Ryan

The Longest Day

Patton

The Dirty Dozen

HBO's Band of Brothers

and the customary fist-ful of John Wayne WWII movies.

But, knowing that wars are not fought only on a battlefield, I also must list:

The Human Comedy

Since You Went Away

Mrs. Miniver

Schindler's List

The Search

Tomorrow Is Forever

The Big Clock

Hell In the Pacific

The Fighting Sullivans

To everyone who posts on these boards who is also a Vet, I'll be thinking of you on May 31 with a great deal of pride!

Mary Lou

These lists are very impressive. I'd like to add two movies that show the aftermath of combat in intriguing ways:

Pride of the Marines

Act of Violence

Honestly, I haven't seen nearly as many WWII flix as I'd like to've. I seen a bunch, actually, but most of them are "lesser" ones...not the great ones.

I do love Das Boot, though. I watched that one several times when I was really young, around 10, because I was obsessed with subs and all that

Great thread. WW2 movies are my personal favorites.

1- Without a doubt for star power alone "Longest Day"

2-"Saving Private Ryan" Special effect makes you feel like your there,(no disrespect to those who know the difference)

3-"Sahara"- Bogart is awesome. Jim Belushi did a remake that was good to for those who like this one too.

4-"The Train" This is a great film I can always watch.

5-"Battle of Britain" This has THE best dogfight scene ever filmed. There is no diologue just music and action.

6-"Kelly's Heroes" Is a great and the only War comedy I love.

7-"Battleground"- This shows how rough it was in the snow.

8-The Eagle Has Landed-

9-Memphis Belle- Great Bomber movie

10-Von Ryan's Express-

Honorable Mention:

Battle of the Bulge

Desperate Journey

The Great Escape

Five Graves of Cairo

Father Goose

Guns of Navarone

Hell is for Heroes

12 O'clock High

Dirty Dozen

Best Years of Our Lives- Love the airplane junkyard.

I'll stop, I could go on forever with these.

Thanks to all the veterans out there

Thanks to all for your own candidates! Not exactly a fun topic, but as say Scorsese said in the past. "Good & great cinema reflect the time of which we live in"

However, to Mongo-(got ya' my pal. *Coop's terrific 1943 War-film "For Whom the Bell Tolls" was not WW11. I believe it took place around 1914. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I have seen it several times & E-mail me personally buddy, if you see I am incorrect. It was the Spanish Civil War. & KUDOS as per usual to classicsfan1119, for including "Band of Brothers" Although, not as great/superb as "Pvt. Ryan," it was still strong-stuff. Especially for tv. (There was a similar type of cable movie around same time & a true story that took place right near the more famous Battle of the Buldge-shown in "Battleground") The something forest? It starred Ron Eldard & it's virtually on every other day. Someone may know this, especially this sadly forgotten battle that took a backseat to The Bulge!?

& on TCM's home pg. today is one of it's great lil' pop-up polls. & it has the wonderful "Mr. Roberts" (1955) listed as one of *Cagney's war-films? It took place during WW11, but not 1 gun was fired? They had it in there against his 1940 good "Fighting 69th" A true WW1 story of an all Irish regiment. & as usual he was dynamic in it. & ML, cited a heavy-drama an 8yr. old Natalie Wood was in "Tomorrow Is Forever"-(RKO let *Orson back into the lot to perform & act for them, but not completely take over a picture again, at least not for awhile)

I thought many would also vote for another Post WW11 picture, but a superb one>1946's *"Best Years of 0ur Lives"-(Sorry, someone did note it & the airfield of left over planes. The graveyard!) & whom agrees w/Mr. Maltin & myself, that "12 0'Clock High," may well be *Peck's finest hour performance-wise? I know it's close with "AFI's 100yrs...100 Heroes/Villians" winner: Atticus Finch. It' just the mentle breakdown he suffers is powerful stuff. 1 I could not mention, have a limit & all. 1945's true to life, literally by War-correspondent: Ernie Pyle-(whom was killed during the war himself) Superbly played by: Burgess Meredith in "Story of G.I. Joe" It's most notable thing in history though, is being the 1 single OSCAR nomination ever for: Robert Mitchum for Best S. Actor.

& even though it's not in same league with most we all mentioned, it's still good though My #1 Idol: *Spencer's 1944 "Thirty Seconds 0ver Tokyo"-(TRIVIA: I see the most knowledgable buffs on the net did not include the massively expensive & grossing 2001 "Pearl Harbor" (Grossed: $200m.) I agree, it was worth a look for the actual attack only. 1970's "Tora! Tora! Tora! Was even better. Otherwise pretty-flat & Ben Affleck is to me, about as thrilling an actor as a watching paint dry. In that however Alec Baldwin plays real-life Gen. Dolittle & *Tracy played same role in the 1944 Mervyn LeRoy movie. A supporting turn. By the way, it won an ACADEMY AWARD for it's Special Effects. Well handled for 1944!) & I think it was Mongo once again whom hit a bulls-eye w/a vastly underrated WW2/Adventure>1965's "The Train" Next time you see it, you'll see *Lancaster of whom plays just about a real-life superman in the epic!!! Limping a bit, he broke his ankle, always doing his own stunts. So Frankenheimer & he worked it in that he was shot in the leg.) YOU SCOOPED ME ON>"The Victors as well THANK YOU ALL

Something that is kind of off the mark/topic & in a way, exactly on it. I've often spoken of "Forest Lawn, cem/park" in Glendale, CA-(dubbed by most "The Disneyland of Graveyards" & I wrote a large pc. entitled: "Where the Golden Age Giants Rest"-(due to the fact that for some reason by a massive majority most of: Hollywoods Golden Age & Studio System-(1925 to 60) era celebs are interred within it's mammoth & rather mountainous 320 acres!) Just to cite a few as an example>*The King-Gable," *Tracy, *Bogart, *Jimmy Stewart, *Pickford, *Walt Disney, Harlow, Lombard, Chaney, Sr., W.C., Ladd, Flynn, *Burns & Allen & many, many others. Thing is, my pal & I on the way out towards the beginning of this massive place. I was looking for the grave of: Tom Mix or even John Gilbert-(HA! It was like trying to find a needle in a massive haystack, believe me) What was stunning, were the dozens & literally dozens of lil' graves along it's opening rd. that were obviously boys, not really men, that's for certain, going by the years on the tarnished graves. Mostly were like>(1898-1918)/ 1899-1919)/ 1899-1917) Being this is a MEMORIAL DAY TOPIC & ALL. I've never told many on here about it & it's not something 1 can easily miss either. I've been to Arlington, cem in Virginia as a teen. And you expect that type of thing there of course. But, these were just regular joe's from California area that were killed in what was then called "The Great War>WW1" Matter of fact, never did find those at that sec. we were searching for, this was just everywhere you looked instead.) THANK YOU

Spencer, and other fine contributer's to this thread, thanks for reminding me of several "Favorites" that I didn't think of off the top of my head the other day, Best Years of Our Lives, 12 O'Clock High, Memphis Bell,

The Story of G.I. Joe, and Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo, are all War movies that I like very much. It surprises even me, that the War Movies Genre is has always been one of my favorites!

I'm also reminded of some other film-makers who made WWII Movies, and took War Photographs, although not many of us will ever know their names. These guys were on the same battlefields the soldiers were on...they carried camera's instead of rifles, and they covered every battle that happened "in the air, on the sea, and on the land" during the War. Many of them gaves their lives in the line of duty, too, and please join me in remembering them on May 31. Thanks! ML

Yet no one mentioned 'A Walk In The Sun' with Dana Andrews & I think Richard Conti who both were far under rated as actors go --Whaat U think?

Leo

leo,

Glad you mentioned A WALK IN THE SUN ,with Andrews,Conte and Lloyd Bridges all turning in good performances .Lastly,take time out this holiday to remember those who made the supreme sacrifice.

I've not seen very many war movies, but I think I'll have to check out BATTLEGROUND now, as it has been mentioned several times.

My faves would be the home front movies:

MRS. MINIVER

SINCE YOU WENT AWAY

THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES

I also would definitely have to list the great SCHINDLER'S LIST.

MEMPHIS BELLE was pretty good, too! Love that Harry Connick Jr.

Another recent film that I saw was CHARLOTTE GRAY starring Cate Blanchett as a member of the French resistance. A little gem that I found on dvd at my library.

A big thanks to all our vets out there!

Sandy K

Sandy, I'm so glad to hear that you've discovered Charlotte Gray as well--it's beautifully done and I'll always remember that opening sequence on the train, beginning with the endless fields of lavender.

Another film, along similar lines, based on a real-life heroine of WWII, is Carve Her Name with Pride (1958), which is a British movie starring Virginia McKenna as Violette Szabo. TCM has shown it in the past and it's very moving. If anyone's interested, they can read more about this little known heroine at the following address: http://www.specialforces.co.uk/violette.htm

Every day we should think of the men and women who literally made our lives possible--but especially this Memorial Day weekend. Thanks from the bottom of my heart.