Sign in to follow this  
spencerl964

In Honor of Memorial Day>Finest WW11 flix. You decide vs. my pix

50 posts in this topic

It's unlikely most will see this in time-(only a little over an hour left, but they generally offer a video of certain specials at final) I've been watching for better pt. of afternoon on 67-Fox News The ridiculously & bizarre-(I just took it for granted this country already had an official monument, I reckon'? Maybe they figured Pearl Harbor is somewhat it!?)

It's the official grand opening of the WW11 Memorial in Washington, D.C. (*Hanks is there, for obvious reasons. It wwas in essence *Spielberg a WW2 buff since childhood. That also gave *Tom the bug)

& on that tv movie very similar to "Band of Bros."-(they also had 1 of the real "Easy Company" guys on here earlier!) But, the other tv movie with Ron Eldard, thats on all the time & I could not recall the name of that battle in it that really took a background to "Battle of the Bulge"-(shown in "Battleground,' of course) It's called>"The Hurtgen Forest" TCM often airs-(his back is always to the camera. & particularly at it's final walking with a Navy guy through Arlington. *John Ford's superb footage-(more ACADEMY AWARDS!) of what he could possibly film, even putting himself in grave danger at times. Superb short subjects of WW2. They also aired filmmaker: *George Stevens work, but for some reason rarely, if ever, show what *W. Wyler filmed?

& to ML, & on a similar note as to what she was citing-(photographers,etc Like say Ernie Pyle & others) Earlier, they had 2 journalists' on that have a TREMENDOUS LOOKING PHOTO BOOK OF WW2 entitled>"Memories of World War 11" A coffee table book, so you know it will be costly$$$ but certainly worth possibly saving for.

Anyway, hope some were already able to catch this once-(litterally) in a lifetime special! Thank you

I've been watching the WWII Memorial Dedication on the History Channel. Their cameramen took us on a wonderful tour of the entire Memorial...it's really awesome, folks! It was really like "being there", and I couldn't get through it without a lump in my throat!

Thanks, too, Spencer for taking note of my earlier mentioning of the War Photographers/Journalists we always tend to over-look, and which seems strange to me since everyone here is strongly connected to film media. ;)ML

what an honor to watch the WWII memorial ceremony this

afternoon seeing the veterans finally getting their honor for a job well done my kleenex box is indeed

empty,its been too long in coming for this day!.....

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO COUNTRY AND DUTY.

* The film "Since you went a way " is coming to mind

today for all the families & wives waiting for their

love ones to these brave people thank you also for the

sacrifices you also are giving to your country to

preserve freedom. May god willing bring your loved ones safely home to you all!......

Although I am kind of breaking my own rule a wee-bit here. I picked this particular spot-(this certain post should be near "F. Lawn" & those dozens of WW1 vets buried at entrance-"The Great War")

I just noticed TCM will be re-broadcasting the superb 1925 M-G-M production "The Big Parade" on it's Silent Sunday night. Tomorrow as a matter of fact at midnight!

For those of whom have never seen this masterpiece by the never won the gold: King Vidor! It's a MUST SEE for any true cinephile!!!

& if they had the ACADEMY then, this most likely would have won the biggie that yr.

It stars, the very sad silent star: John Gilbert-(1895-1936) & Renee Adoree. I say sad, due to later circumstances that happened to what was at time of this picture considered the *Clark Gable of the industry!

A true masterpiece. It was overshadowed a bit a few years later with another WW1 movie that had the fortune of being released when the A.M.P.A.S. was around>*"All Quiet on the Western Front" (1930) Both are tremendous pictures though & not to be missed. Thanks to all

I know that this is a bit off topic, but I was quite touched by Loliteblue & ML's remarks. I'd like to echo the heartfelt sentiments expressed earlier about the dedication of the WWII monument in Washington yesterday. I was okay while watching the ceremony until the moment that the President mentioned that some of us are honored to call these veterans "Dad"--that really choked me up a bit, as I'm sure it did others. Fortunately for the President, his father can still hear his praise being sung.

For alot of us, the love and awe that we have for our Dads deepens every year as the long shadow of their lives becomes clearer with each passing day. In big and small ways during the war and long after it ended, these men, and women, never asked nor received as much recognition for their struggles as they truly deserved. Ironically, if my own father, a veteran of the Battle of the Bulge and numerous other campaigns, were alive today, he'd probably do what he'd always done--ignored antything that "smacked of hoopla or grandstanding", (his terms, not mine), and continued to live his quietly heroic life.

I hope that the memorial is able to be appreciated by all the generations who came after these extraordinary people.

BTW, C-Span has been running interviews with numerous veterans all weekend from the Smithsonian. These fascinating people have a wondrous tales to tell--from Navojo code talkers, to men who escaped from Corregidor to an air force crewmember who crashlanded in Italy and made his way to safety through the kindness of the poorest Italians. I hope that others are able to catch it. Thanks for tolerating my little sentimental journey.

I did see a little bit of the coverage of the WW2 memorial on tv yesterday...I will definitely visit it the next time I go to D.C.

BTW, has anyone ever visited the Korean War memorial there? It has life-size sculptures of soldiers crossing a field. It is beautiful and extremely moving. I just came across some photos that I had taken of it and the Vietnam vets memorial on my last trip to D.C. Both are stunning. There is also a reflecting pool with a marble wall around with the inscription "Freedom is not free" carved into it. I'm getting choked up just thinking about it.

Moira, I'll have to look for the McKenna film you mentioned, sounds like a good one.

Sandy K

Did any of you who saw the WWII Memorial Dedication notice that in the pool at the base of the wall with all the Gold Stars, there are a series of flood lights strung along? I'm betting that at night, those lights are turned on, and just imagine what the Gold Stars look like then...at night! I hope that someone will get that on film soon. ML

Oh yes...I forgot what I was going to post in this thread...that after seeing "The Big Parade" for the first time last night, it has earned a place on my list. ;)ML

I fell asleep during THE BIG PARADE last night...the moive was great (what I saw!) but I should've known better than to think that I could stay awake for it. I didn't have any blank tapes at the last minute...

Did anyone watch the Washington D.C. Memorial Day concert? My local PBS station showed it last night. Charles Durning gave a speech recounting his personal experiences as a soldier landing on the beach at Normandy on D-Day. He was only 20 years old at the time! He was the second man off of his ship and the first and third man never made it onto the beach...He fell off of the ramp off of the ship into deep waters, so he let go of the 60lb. pack on his back so he wouldn't drown...he said that he could hear the bullets whizzing by him underwater...he was pulled onto the beach with no gun or helmet and the men who pulled him up said that he would have no trouble finding replacements strewn along the beach...

very moving...Mr. Durning got emotional recounting it all these years later. He looked a bit frail, not the robust actor that I remembered from TOOTSIE and other films.

Sandy K

Wow, Sandy...I didn't catch that PBS offering last night, but thank you so much for your recount of Mr. Durning's speech. You took me there to hear it, and to see him as he looks today. ML

I am shocked nobody has mentioned William Holden's best WWII movie "Staling 17".

I went to school in sixties. When CBS ran that "POW" show.

I was "lucky" to have five teachers who spent time in German POW CAMPS. One was my high school speech teacher. Who showed "STALING 17" for our final test. Needless to say I no longer laugh at Sgt. Schultz

duckdodgers the proper title of the William Holden movie was "Stalig 17"and it was indeed a good movie directed by William Wyler.

Mongo

Hi everyone, I am the new kid on the block...."sounds like a great title for a movie!!

Let's see my favorite war movies:

1. Tora Tora Tora

2. Sink the Bismarck

3. Midway

4. To Hell and Back

5. The Alamo (John Wayne's version)

6. The Bunker

These are my top fav's.

Jim

Welcome to the boards, Jim. I love Sink the Bismarck as well. If you like that one, have you also seen The Cruel Sea with Jack Hawkins? It's a corker, from a book by Nicholas Monserrat. It's done in that same quiet British semi-documentary style that is so effective. I'll have to catch The Bunker sometime. Is that the one in which Anthony Hopkins plays Hitler?

No doubt I have egg on my face ML. Of course it is "Stalag 17". It was close but no cigar.

Mongo

Hi moirafinnie14....and thanks for the welcome.

Yes I have "The Cruel Sea" on VHS. It is a very good movie. I love English movies. Have you ever seen the TV production "Dempsey and Makepeace?" I loved that series, I think it was back in the '70's or perhaps early '80's. They made a TV series out of the pilot. But the English studio went bankrupt. Too bad.

Yes, "The Bunker" stars Anthony. Funny, how an Englishman can perform such a great job portraying a German! Of course being of English descendent, I might be a bit prejudice in my opinions!

"Sink The Bismarck" is another well done British film. I recently saw a "National Geographic" film where it looks like they proved that the Germans must have scuttled the Bismarck, because they could not find a really serious shell hole that would sink it. I still think the torpedoes did her (opps....him)in!

Take care and I will, I'm sure, be chatting at you later.

Jim

Thank you Classicsfan1119. I have a question for you: Have you ever seen, or even heard of, "Sergeants Three" starring the Rat Pack? It was a take off on "Gunga Din." Very funny movie, however, I can not find it (on VHS/DVD) anywhere. I have requested TCM to show it. I was anxious to see if THEY can find it! Thanks Classicsfan1119.

Jim

Ok...here, I have finally found the thread in which you ask me a question about the Rat Pack movie. Sorry, but I just can't help you, and I did address this in another thread somewhere else already this morning. I hope that you are able to locate it somewhere. ;)ML