Sign in to follow this  
bggalaxy

Best bets for the coming day

7 posts in this topic

I'm not sure if I can explain this correctly, but I'll Try. I know we have a "great movie alert" thread, but there seems to be lull of great movies to alert us on. What I'm hoping for is a daily thread where those of you who are more knowledgable than me or other novice classic watchers, to list a film or two for the coming day that nay be the best of day.

Take tomorrow, of the listings, I have only seen "Saboteur". Not one of my favorites but as for the rest - I am clueless. Is "Crossroads" any good?

I am trying to find new gems. On the whole I have usually seen 2 or 3 films a day. The rest I have never seen or have not wanted to from the description or actors. I know that they maybe good but I'm not sure. I can only tape a film or two and watch it later so what you - who have seen a film and recommend it would be helpful.

I hope this isn't to confusing but I really enjoy finding new favorites. Awhile back I found The Human Comedy from some of you here. I WANT MORE! :)

Exactly Path, and thank you! it was that thread that helped me find:

Come Live With Me

The Man Who Came To Dinner

Ninotchka

& The Human Comedy

I taped all these and added them to our collection of films. I have taped others mentioned - though good - I didn't feel I would ever say "I feel like watching so & so tonight". Even so to find the above four was a thrill! This is what I enjoy, the finding of personal gems.

Maybe if everyone would list a best daily bet on the other thread that would be great! I'd be a happy camper! :)

To the person who posted this thread, Crossroads ain't too bad, but not really spectacular. I mean, yeah, I love it 'cause Hedy's in it, and it really is worth watching, but she was in better movies (worse ones, too).

I see ya mentioned ya saw Come Live With Me...you'll probably think it's better than Crossroads, if that gives any reference.

Path, I can't even find your "Great Movie Alert" thread anymore...but it was a wonderful idea, and all it needs is a daily boost, or update from you! What I think another poster was suggesting to you, and I will second it, is that it would be great if you would take charge of a Daily thread (kind of like Mongo's Birthday Thread) and list what you think are movies that might possibly be the best offerings of the day. Actually, it would be best if you could list them a full day ahead of TCM's airing of them so that everyone can adjust for differing Time Zones, and be ready "tomorrow" to see or tape the movie. What do you say, Path...can you see this happening? I know that a lot of us would sure appreciate it, especially the "novices" among us who aren't yet able to look at TCM's Schedule and know which ones to pick! :)ML

ML, I am humbled by your request. I'm not sure that everyone who visits this site would be as interested in my picks and I believe that there are several others here whose film knowledge is greater and whose "taste" (for lack of a better term;- ) is better suited to this audience.

Additionally, I think I have at least some appreciation of the monumental task that Mongo faces each day in compiling his list and I'm not sure that I'm up to it ... especially since the kids are now out of school for the summer!

I will, however, try to be more regular about updating the Great Movie Alert thread in the Favorites folder. Perhaps I could manage once/week (on Sundays?) before the week begins. Thanks again for the high compliment!

Ok, Path...I hear ya. If you could just keep the thread in the Favorites folder going strong on a weekly basis, I will do my best to pay more attention and add anything you might have "overlooked"...and maybe other folks will drop in and do the same. The "reminder" thread is still a great idea, and it was really swell (yes, I'm from that era) of you to start doing it for us in the first place.

Thanks, my friend!

Mary Lou