Sign in to follow this  
Guest olmsted, l

Reel Justice

28 posts in this topic

Guest olmsted, l

A couple of months ago, TCM ran a series of courtroom films. What are some of your favorites?

Guest walker, ken

"Twelve Angry Men" [Original movie version w/Henry Fonda,and "Inherit the Wind"w/Spencer Tracy and Frederic March.Two of the best I think. kw

Guest mongo

No doubt the one and only "Witness for the Prosecution" (1958). Usually courtroom dramas bore me however I was glued to this one. Of course Billy Wilder had a lot to do with it and Dietrich was stunning.

Guest walker, ken

Two films with war themes deserve some comments."The Purple Heart"with Dana Andrews,when the pilots are being tried in a Japanese court."Judgement at Nuremberg"with Spencer Tracy ,is about the war crimes trials.Powerful film from Stanley Kramer.Marlene Dietrich and Judy Garland give stand out performances.

Guest olmsted, l

Judgement at Nuremberg is one of my all time favorite movies (actually I love anything that Stanley Kramer directs--Defiant Ones, One the Beach). The cast is extraordinary and the content is so powerful, and how could you NOT love a movie with the GORGEOUS Maximillian Schell?

Guest o, rita

I agree w/Witness for the Prosecution and how about Anatomy of a Murder.

Guest son, jery

"Bordertown (1935) and "They Drive By Night (1940) both have powerful court room scenes that come at the end. "They Drive..." is based on the first one. But it's Ida Lupino who really electrifies you when she goes crazy. In "Bordertown" Bette Davis also goes crackers but it's nothing like Ida's really amazing performance in "They Drive By Night."

Guest olmsted, l

One film that usually fails to be considered a "courtroom" drama is Fritz Lang's M. It isn't necessarily a film dealing with the mainstream judicial process, but somewhat of a surreal portrayal of the process in an upside down world.

Guest walker, ken

Although not a court film in the strict sense,let us not leave out John Fords"The Informer"'when Gypo Nolan is tried by the IRA for infoming on one of his friends in order to get the reward.This was movie making at its finest!! kw

Guest mongo

I agree that John Ford's "The Informer" (1935) is an excellent film. Oscar winner Victor McLaglan as the slow witted Gypo is outstanding as is the supporting cast. They don't make them like this any more.

Guest walker, ken

We can also include "The Informer" in the death scene category.In the finale,as Gypo is dying on the church steps,Max Stieners great score closes the film.Victor McLaglan is so effective in this scene,combined with Stieners music,that it still stirs my emotions. kw

Guest mongo

It's touching when Gypo staggers into the church and is forgiven by Frankie's mother (Una O'Connor) and he looks above and says "Frankie your mother forgives me!" as he is dying. You couldn't help feeling sorry for the guy.

Guest walker, ken

Mongo, I,m glad you set that scene straight for me from the Informer.Thanks. kw

Guest K, Sandy

Anyone catch ANATOMY OF A MURDER last night on TCM? Interesting movie. I kept waiting for some crazy plot twist, but there wasn't one. More of a character-driven film than I thought it would be. Good performance by a young George C. Scott, who wasn't even billed in the first set of credits, but in a long list of small roles.

Guest walker, ken

Sandy K, Watched ANATOMY OF A MURDER last night.Good court drama,with good performances by Stewart and Remmick,and a very good performance from George C.Scott.Seems more tame now than when I saw it on first release. kw

Guest K, Sandy

Yes, I was wondering if the whole rape thing and the insanity defense would have been controversial in 1959. With shows like The Practice on every week, I think that we are a little immune to it.

Guest cooper, jeane

One legal beagle that was - in my humble opinion - a real dog - "The Paradine Case". With Gregory Peck, Charles Laughton and a host of solid supporting actors - Charles Coburn and Ethel Barrymore to name a few. It was directed by Hitchcock - but never seemed to catch on fire. It sort of plodded.

Guest son, jery

A curious little factoid about the Paradine Case that you've probably already heard about. Selznick and Hitchcock both desperately wanted Garbo to play the role that eventually went to the European star--can't remember her name. Garbo wanted much to work with Selznick and Hitchcock but after reading the script, you said, "this is terrible." She had better sense than the rest of the all-star cast.

Guest cooper, jeane

She sure did - too bad she was so rude to Adrian (I am cross -discussioning here - if that's even a phrase)- from your comment when he left the studio under protest of MGM's desire for her costumes. She was so ungrateful! I can see Peck accepting it - it was fairly early in his career - but Laughton and Ethel Barrymore and even Hitchcock himself? Was he stll with Selznick at this time?

Guest finnie, moira

The actress in The Paradine Case was Alida Valli--she's alot better in Italian movies than that one. That was a tough period for Hitchcock,eh? Tropic of Cancer, Rope and that turkey... My picks-- Best Courtroom Movies for Entertainment: Witness for the Prosecution and Anatomy of a Murder Best Courtroom Movies that give you alot to think about and entertain: Inherit the Wind and Judgement at Nuremburg and Fury (Spencer Tracy, at his best in all)

Guest son, jery

I've raved about this one particular court scene because it's scarred in my memory from childhood. Ida Lupino has lost her marbles and takes the stand in "They Drive By Night." She's obsessed with George Raft, who to me, always resembled a smug hyena. Anyway, she pops her cork on the witness stand and begins to scream: "The doors! They made me do it!" Ever after, my sisters and I would always scream out that line when we did something nutty.

Guest Wade, Patti

Jery son: I noticed you mentioned the movie Bordertown in a couple of your messageboard comments. I'm wondering if you have any information about this old movie, 1935, Bette Davis. Has it been shown on television lately? Can I get a copy anywhere..I;ve been looking for years! Any info or advice you have would be helpful. Thanks.

Guest son, jery

Patti, sorry for the long delay in responding. I taped "Bordertown" off NYC's PBS station about eight years ago. This station showed both "Bordertown" and it's remake, "They Drive By Night",as a special double-feature to show how Bette Davis in l934 and Ida Lupino in l940 portrayed the mad heroine. There was even a panel discussion of film critics who weighed in afterwards and fans called up to give the station its votes! This was a great way to appreciate both different types of acting and "old" movies. I've never seen "Bordertown" shown since then. This is definitely a MUST movie for any Bette Davis fan. She really shows the beginning of her powerful intensity and it was this role of Marie Roarke in "Bordertown" that helped get her the star-making role of Mildred in l935's "Of Human Bondage."

One that I've always held high was To Kill a Mockingbird.

It hit me over the head about race injustice when I was kid.

Let me just mention "Witness for the Prosecution". A wonderful performance by Charles Laughton. *Spoiler* I defy anyone to Catch onto Marlena Dietrich's secondary role until it is revealed .