Sign in to follow this  
ObamaGirl

Any Lena Horne fans?

23 posts in this topic

I've loved and admired Lena Horne since the first time I caught a glimpse of her in an old MGM musical, and I couldn't find any threads here that were expressly devoted to this great and very talented star.

Please feel free to share any photos, stills, videos, etc. B-)

I have always loved Lena and wished she had done more films in the Forties. Although she seemed a little BITTER about her Hollywood career since she lost the role of Tondelayo to Hedy Lamarr, and was often over looked when good parts came up, I am still glad she was part of the scene. Without her, the Black experience in early Hollywood would have just been mostly servants or wisecracking sidekicks. She represented THE beautiful, classy black woman.

So, here's to Lena, The Horne!

Lena-1.jpg

Thank you, Armand! That's a great photo. I'll try to add a few myself now and then.

lena%20horne.jpg

Message was edited by: ObamaGirl

There is a new Lena Horne biography coming out next month:

http://www.tcm.com/movienews/index/?cid=241961

An African-American Show Biz Icon is Spotlighted in STORMY WEATHER: THE LIFE OF LENA HORNE

At the 2001 Academy Awards, Halle Berry thanked Lena Horne for paving the way for her to become the first black recipient of a Best Actress Oscar?. Though limited, mostly to guest singing appearances in splashy Hollywood musicals, "the beautiful Lena Horne," as she was often called, became a pioneering star for African Americans in the 1940s and fifties. Now James Gavin, author of Deep in a Dream: The Long Night of Chet Baker, draws on a wealth of unmined material and hundreds of interviews - one of them with Horne herself - to give us the defining portrait of an American icon in Stormy Weather: The Life of Lena Horne (Simon and Schuster).

Gavin has gotten closer than any other writer to the celebrity who has lived in reclusion since 1998. Incorporating insights from the likes of Ruby Dee, Tony Bennett, Diahann Carroll, Arthur Laurents, and several of Horne's fellow chorines from Harlem's Cotton Club, Stormy Weather offers a fascinating portrait of a complex, even tragic Horne -- a stunning talent who inspired such giants of showbiz as Barbra Streisand, Eartha Kitt, and Aretha Franklin, but whose frustrations with racism, and with tumultuous, root-less childhood, left wounds too deep to heal. The woman who emerged was as angry as she was luminous.

From the Cotton Club's glory days and the back lots of Hollywood's biggest studios to the glitzy but bigoted hotels of Las Vegas's heyday, this behind-the-scenes look at an American icon is as much a story of the limits of the American dream as it is a masterful, ground-breaking biography.

*About the Author*

James Gavin has written about some of the most significant black musical figures of our time, including Nina Simone, Harry Belafonte, and Miriam Makeba. His 300+ CD liner note essays include a Grammy-nominated article for the box set "Ella Fitzgerald - The Legendary Decca Recordings." He is the author of Deep in a Dream: The Long Night of Chet Bake and Intimate Nights: The Golden Age of New York Cabaret.

Stormy Weather: The Life of Lena Horne will be available from on-line book sellers and bookstores everywhere in June.

Like the rest of you, I absolutely love the talented Lena Horne. I saw her concert a few years ago, and she still had it! A gracious, classy lady. Someone mentioned that she seemed bitter about her career and the opportunities that passed her by. She did mention (at great length) in this concert I saw about her not getting the part of Julie in "Show Boat." And this was some 35 years later! (I couldn't help but think to myself, "Get over it! It's history!) Besides, I've never understood how she could have been seriously considered for this role. The part calls for a woman with skin light enough to pass for white. With all of Ms. Horne's immense talents, there's no way she could be mistaken for white. Besides, the part of Julie gave Ava Gardner perhaps the best role she ever played. I've always felt that she should have received an Oscar nomination for this. She was wonderful.

Terrence.

You're lucky to have seen her in concert, Terrence. The thing about Show Boat I think she may also have mentioned in That's Entertainment! III, and I think that she could have played the part, but that's beside the point. I admire her and Ava Gardner very, very much.

Love this woman! There's a great inserted cameo (the bane of her movie career, unfortunately) in "Meet Me In Las Vegas" from her 1950's-era Sands appearances. So sophisticated, and earthy at the same time.

To be honest, I don't! I've seen her on screen before but forget in what. I have some of her CD's, I like listening to jazz.

There's a single-CD reissue that came out a few years ago of "Live At The Sands" and "Live At The Waldorf Astoria", both terrific live shows.

Holly, I think my favorite Lena Horne movies are all the ones she DIDN'T get to make. When you look at the career options of someone like Beyonce today, it boggles the mind to think of what might have been for Lena. We'll never know.

I have been a fan of Lena's for years,She is so talented and drop dead beautiful and she still has it today. I heard a story a few years ago and I don't know if it's true or not, but at one time when they were getting ready to make "Casablanca" that her name came up as a possible "Sam", God wouldn't that have been something, but the idea was nixed because you couldn't have Bogie traveling around with a woman,especially a black woman...But Oh My....Like I said I don't know if it's true or not....

> {quote:title=DougieB wrote:}{quote}

> Holly, I think my favorite Lena Horne movies are all the ones she DIDN'T get to make. When you look at the career options of someone like Beyonce today, it boggles the mind to think of what might have been for Lena. We'll never know.

Sad, but true. I would have loved to see what she could have done in Show Boat.

There is a double bill of Lena Horne movies on the schedule for this Monday morning, I suppose as part of a larger tribute as part of the MLK Jr. Holiday:

*The Duke Is Tops* (1938) 10am ET

A producer's romance with his star ends when the latter is offered a better job in New York.

Cast: Ralph Cooper, Lena Horne, Lawrence Criner, Monte Hawley Dir: William Nolte BW-73 mins, TV-PG

*Cabin In The Sky* (1943) 11:30am ET

God and Satan battle for the soul of a wounded gambler.

Cast: Ethel Waters, Eddie "Rochester" Anderson, Lena Horne, Louis Armstrong Dir: Vincente Minnelli BW-99 mins, TV-G

Don't miss Lena --this afternoon-- it's starting now! :D

*Cabin In The Sky* (1943) 6:15pm ET

God and Satan battle for the soul of a wounded gambler.

Cast: Ethel Waters, Eddie "Rochester" Anderson, Lena Horne, Louis Armstrong Dir: Vincente Minnelli BW-99 mins, TV-G