Sign in to follow this  
LonesomePolecat

Musicals that DESPERATELY need to be remade...

77 posts in this topic

I saw it on Broadway, and it was one of the best productions of a musical on Broadway in years. I've seen many productions (Tyne Daly, Bernadette Peters on Broadway) and this one blew them out of the water. Not only was Patti LuPone fantastic, but every other character was played beautifully. (Many productions have weak supporting characters as Mama Rose overshadows them into oblivion).

The show closed in January, but for those who missed it: The Library of the Performing Arts in NYC has a collection of tapes/dvds of virtually every show produced on Broadway since the early 1970's. They are professionally taped especially for the archive.

You can just call and make an appointment to view the show of your choice. You arrive, sign in (they ask why you want to see the show; say "research"), and they take you to a private booth or carrell, pop in the dvd, hand you the earphones, and away you go. Absolutely free.

This is one of those amazing resources that few people (even in NYC) know about.

In an article in my local paper, the Los Angeles Times, Hugh Jackman mentioned he was trying to get a movie going: "Carousel". I thought, yay!! Hugh is a perfect Billy Bigelow and that movie desperately needs to be remade (the cast was great, but the film is sorely lacking to stand up to the material). How do y'all feel about this? Here's the cast I came up with:

CAROUSEL

Billy: Hugh Jackman

Julie: Kelli O'Hara

Carrie: Audra McDonald (she did in on Broadway already, but she might be too old now, and movies might not be that kind to color blind casting)

Mr Snow: Brian Stokes Mitchell (not sure about this, but I couldn't think of anyone else)

the "you'll never walk alone" chick (forgot her name): Marin Mazzie

I think Hugh Jackman is totally wrong for the role of Billy. It needs an actor with a very strong singing voice, and Jackman just isn't a great singer.

I think he has a very strong singing voice (based on him in Oklahoma and hosting the Tony's), and I personally think it's strong enough for Billy, but I guess it's not as operatic as Gordon's, so I can see what you mean.

> {quote:title=filmlover81 wrote:}{quote}

> The musicals I think they should consider remaking is Brigadoon but only if it is filmed in Scotland.

>

> Nina x

Nina, glad to see you here! :)

I think you're absolutely right - a version of Brigadoon set in Scotland would be very appealing to me, too. But I wonder who they'd cast in it. ;)

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=filmlover81 wrote:}{quote}

> > The musicals I think they should consider remaking is Brigadoon but only if it is filmed in Scotland.

> >

> > Nina x

>

> Nina, glad to see you here! :)

>

> I think you're absolutely right - a version of Brigadoon set in Scotland would be very appealing to me, too. But I wonder who they'd cast in it. ;)

Thanks glad to be here :)

For the role of Tommy Albright the obvious choice would be Hugh Jackman but what about Robert Downey Jr he can sing too and I'm sure he could easily do some dancing.

For the role of Fiona Campbell part a Scottish or Britsh actress would be ideal but if they had to cast an American I was thinking maybe Anne Hathaway.

For the role of Charlie Dalrymple either James McAvoy or Ewan McGregor maybe even get a part for both of them.

> {quote:title=filmlover81 wrote:}{quote}

> For the role of Tommy Albright the obvious choice would be Hugh Jackman but what about Robert Downey Jr he can sing too and I'm sure he could easily do some dancing.

>

> For the role of Fiona Campbell part a Scottish or Britsh actress would be ideal but if they had to cast an American I was thinking maybe Anne Hathaway.

>

> For the role of Charlie Dalrymple either James McAvoy or Ewan McGregor maybe even get a part for both of them.

I like your choices, Nina! And didn't Anne Hathaway do a decent English accent in Becoming Jane ? I think she could probably do an acceptable job with a Scottish accent. ;)

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=filmlover81 wrote:}{quote}

> > For the role of Tommy Albright the obvious choice would be Hugh Jackman but what about Robert Downey Jr he can sing too and I'm sure he could easily do some dancing.

> >

> > For the role of Fiona Campbell part a Scottish or Britsh actress would be ideal but if they had to cast an American I was thinking maybe Anne Hathaway.

> >

> > For the role of Charlie Dalrymple either James McAvoy or Ewan McGregor maybe even get a part for both of them.

>

> I like your choices, Nina! And didn't Anne Hathaway do a decent English accent in Becoming Jane ? I think she could probably do an acceptable job with a Scottish accent. ;)

Yes she did that was why I thought of her as I'm sure her Scottish accent would be just as good and we know that she can sing too after her performance with Hugh Jackman at the Oscars.

She would also be my first choice for Eliza in *My Fair Lady*. Perhaps they should just do the trilogy with Hathaway as Fiona, Eliza and Guinevere!

I think Hathaway would be a _far_ more charismatic Eliza Doolittle than Keira Knightley, who is rumored to have got the part. Keira is a good actress, but not as expressive.

I saw Anne Hathaway at the Hollywood Bowl and I was impressed, but I hope she's taken a few lessons since then (her breathing needed a little work, that's all), and she'd be great. and I hate keira knightley's guts--she isn't a good actress--so I hope it's not true, alas. anne would be a much better choice.

Porgy and Bess should be remade with today's sensibility's towards race without giving in too much to historic accuracy. The role Pear Baily played could be done now grandly by Queen Latifa. Vanesa Williams as Bess, Denzel Washington as Porgy and Eddie Murphy as Sportin Life.

"No No Nanette" was a pretty good musical and could stand to be re-made. There were filmed versions in 1930 and again in 1940 but they were both terrible. The best take on it I've seen was "Tea For Two" but that couldv'e been better also. It's got a good set of enjoyable songs in it ...

• Like 1

"No No Nanette" was a pretty good musical and could stand to be re-made. There were filmed versions in 1930 and again in 1940 but they were both terrible. The best take on it I've seen was "Tea For Two" but that couldv'e been better also. It's got a good set of enjoyable songs in it ...

NANETTE is a great musical that has never had a proper film version.

NANETTE is a great musical that has never had a proper film version.

I agree with your comment but what are the odds Nanette could be made today and be a 'proper film version'?

A lot of good music and I play many of those songs but is there an audience for that music today?    Not likely.

Would a Nanette version with the songs done to a hip-hop beat be proper?    I only ask because if the film was remade today that might be the direction the producers take.

I agree with your comment but what are the odds Nanette could be made today and be a 'proper film version'?

A lot of good music and I play many of those songs but is there an audience for that music today?    Not likely.

Would a Nanette version with the songs done to a hip-hop beat be proper?    I only ask because if the film was remade today that might be the direction the producers take.

and it would flop.  Of course, it would probably flop, either way.  Look at JERSEY BOYS.  Even the couple that were moderately successful in the past 20 years, were just that, moderately successful.  Besides not being able to make a musical today (nobody knows how to keep a shot for longer than 3 seconds), people just don't have much interest in them.

ANYTHING GOES.  The 1930's version kept the story and threw out half the score.  The 1950's version kept more of the score but threw out the original story.  Maybe a third time they'll get it right.  By the way I did suggest here to remake ANNIE and someone did.  I've heard mixed reviews so far.

IRMA LA DUCE had all the songs dropped and heard only as background to the action.  It would be great to hear those songs actually sung in a remake.  Also for FANNY, same thing.  Whatever the critics hated about CHORUS LINE they should heed the remarks and do it over.  The songs were smashing.

Know how, though Hollywood has made fantastic adaptations of Broadway musicals, they have made some that need to be tried again.

ATTENTION HOLLYWOOD: PLease remake these musicals:

Guys and Dolls (with SINGERS this time, and a screenplay that doesn't stink)

Camelot (with, again, a SINGING Guenivere, and not so 70s)

South Pacific (Mitzi Gaynor---ick---and those filters and the cheezy acting--it's the director's fault)

Anyone else?

Sadly enough, Steve Spielberg has shown an interest in doing a re-make of the original 1961 film, West Side Story.   Fox has unlocked it for him to do so.  I sincerely hope that the plug gets pulled on this idea and that West Side Story never gets re-made, because it would just cut the heart and soul right out of this film.  If Steve Spielberg has as much affection for this great film as he claims to have, he'll leave well enough alone and not mess with a classic.  I wrote him a letter and told him all my reasons that I think West Side Story should not be re-made.  I didn't get an answer to my letter from Spielberg, but I at least made my opinion known to him, and told him exactly how I felt.

Yes, it's true, I may have missed out on some good stuff, up to now. But if it's good enough, I imagine I'll get around to it eventually. One that I believe was made for TV or cable was a recent version of "Porgy and Bess". From what I have read, it might be better than Otto Preminger's theatrical version. In any case, I do hope to watch whichever one of the two is the better one, eventually.

Hollywood has clearly run out of creative ideas, which is why there are so many re-makes and sequels of films going on these days.  It's quite sad, indeed!

Sadly enough, Steve Spielberg has shown an interest in doing a re-make of the original 1961 film, West Side Story.   Fox has unlocked it for him to do so.  I sincerely hope that the plug gets pulled on this idea and that West Side Story never gets re-made, because it would just cut the heart and soul right out of this film.  If Steve Spielberg has as much affection for this great film as he claims to have, he'll leave well enough alone and not mess with a classic.  I wrote him a letter and told him all my reasons that I think West Side Story should not be re-made.  I didn't get an answer to my letter from Spielberg, but I at least made my opinion known to him, and told him exactly how I felt.

If ever there was a film that required no remake, it's the superb WEST SIDE STORY.  Spielberg imagines he's a better director than he is.  There is no shortage of poorly made film versions of Broadway shows that could stand to be remade (A CHORUS LINE, ANNIE, MAN OF LA MANCHA and others), or how about Broadway shows that were never made into a film (CARNIVAL!, RAGTIME, PROMISES, PROMISES and many others)?  Why waste time on a perfectly made classic film?  It will bomb, that's for sure.